Citroen C4 Cactus Crossover Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I received delivery of my new C4 Cactus Puretech 1.2 Flair 82HP 3 days ago. I have driven it around 70 miles since then and an feeling the steering very difficult to use.

While driving at 50mph+ I get a feeling that the steering gets very stiff , so much that I struggle to keep the car in lane at high speeds (especially on a curvy single carriageway) or lane changing manoeuvres feel very difficult .

The steering wheel gets really stiff at about 60 mph and above. It makes fine tuning really difficult and I have to zig zag from line to line.

I tried to deactivate ESP (traction control) but it gets activated at high speed. I am not sure if there are any other steering settings.

I have had vauxhall and nissan cars before and have never felt that steering gets stiff at high speeds.

Is this how it should be?, I am taking my family on a 2 day break and an worried if there is something wrong with the car. I called the local dealer but the earlier they can look at it is next week (after 5 days).

·
Registered
383 Posts
My first suggestion is check the tyre pressures - despite being a new car that should have been PDI'd it's not uncommon for this to be overlooked, under-inflated tyres make steering heavy.

The Cactus' steering is electric and to a degree weight is added at higher speed to make the car less 'twitchy' but not to the extent it is difficult to steer

Check the pressures

·
Registered
644 Posts
It has very very light steering usually. Hopefully there isn't a problem with the power steering? A leak maybe? I'd get it checked.

·
Registered
67 Posts
After Having a Kia Sportage i find the steering very good, yes it does stiffen up as the speed increases and the car is easy to maintain a straight line at all speeds. The Kia was a nightmare, all over the road at speed.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Mine was like that for the first few months, on the motorway it needed conscious steering and turning the wheel to keep it in lane rather than the light subconscious way motorways usually are. I put it down to stiction in the steering joints as they were new, which seems reasonable as it's loosened up now and high speed steering is no problem.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts