Citroen C4 Cactus Crossover Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know of a way to permanently removing this function as i do not want it, my Citroen dealer tells me that they all come with this feature and it cannot be turned off.

·
Registered
266 Posts
If you go into the trip counter (car info) panel, it is possible to turn off the Stop Start. Never having done it, I don't know if it remains that way after a restart or if you have to reset it each time.

Why do you want to turn it off in the first place? At first I found it rather disconcerting, but soon got used to it. Restart is instantaneous and on a recent journey, I saw from the readout that the Eco mode had been on for ten minutes - in my old C4, you could visibly see the average mpg drop as you sat at traffic lights...

The only improvement I would like to see is for the Stop-Start to be activated by the handbrake and not the footbrake. I hate sitting behind cars with brake lights on at a junction/traffic lights and am now one of the guilty parties.

I can see no reason for the handbrake to activate it on the EGS gearbox as this prevents the clutch being engaged even if the engine restarts (as it does if a door is opened or you have been at the lights for a long time). In my view, this would be safer - if you take your foot off the pedal, the car creeps forward if the handbrake isn't on.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Once again, in my 82 ETG if you put the car in neutral when it comes to rest and apply the handbrake the engine remains paused until you put the car in gear again. This is much better than my previous C4 where the engine cut out below 4 mph. and applying the handbrake restarted the engine. Try it and see!! You will save fuel.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Angus, I only ordered yesterday and was trying to get it without stop/start, but as this is not possible I will give it a try as you suggest.

G

·
Just to confirm that the stop start resets each time the ignition is turned off, so you have to do it each time you turn the ignition on. It only takes a second though as you don't have to scroll through loads of menus.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Angus said:
Once again, in my 82 ETG if you put the car in neutral when it comes to rest and apply the handbrake the engine remains paused until you put the car in gear again. This is much better than my previous C4 where the engine cut out below 4 mph. and applying the handbrake restarted the engine. Try it and see!! You will save fuel.
It is still annoying to have to reach forward to the gear buttons when stopping and then again when you want to drive off. There is no logical reason with the ETG box for the handbrake not to activate the stop-start...

·
Registered
64 Posts
I totally agree but the car is somewhat "quirky" and long may it continue to be.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have an 1.2 VTI 82hp Shine ... and I dont have ECO mode option ... It was supposed that all Cactus come with this ... Any one can explain it to me?

·
Registered
25 Posts
As far as we can see you must either have a 75 which has no s and s or a diesel as all the rest do come with s and s. Are you sure it isn't a 75?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Has anyone tried removing engine compartment stop/start fuses to see if this will permanently deactivate it?

·
Registered
45 Posts
One thing nobody as mentioned when the engine has stopped instead of putting your clutch in to start try to turn the steering wheel any direction and this will also start the car again

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have the Cactus Shine e-HDi92 ETG6 and the start/stop function works realy good. when you push down the break pedal to a full stop the engin stops and when you realeses the break pedal it starts agin. dont need to use the netrual gear ore the handbreak. i have mine on "eco mode" all the time

·
Registered
64 Posts
Using the brake pedal only means that at night in traffic you are blinding the driver behind you with your lights which is a firm dislike for me. handbrake on and select neutral is a much more considerate option.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Angus said:
Using the brake pedal only means that at night in traffic you are blinding the driver behind you with your lights which is a firm dislike for me. handbrake on and select neutral is a much more considerate option.
Sorry, but as I have mentioned in an earlier post, the etg gearbox when the brake or handbrake is operated remains in neutral, therefore the car cannot move... I also hate the brake light at junctions, but also can't be bothered with the extra 2-3 seconds needed to engage Drive and release the handbrake, thereby holding others up...

In the case of the ETG gearbox, ECO should be selected as soon as the handbrake is applied; that would be the safest and most convenient outcome for everyone. In my opinion, the current situation is crazy!!!

·
Registered
128 Posts
Burky said:
One thing nobody as mentioned when the engine has stopped instead of putting your clutch in to start try to turn the steering wheel any direction and this will also start the car again
For some reason I don't understand so does releasing the seatbelt!

·
Registered
129 Posts
I don't find it crazy, its quite useful when waiting at one of those difficult junctions or roundabouts where chances to pull out are rare. If you're holding on the footbrake with the engine stopped there's the delay while the engine restarts and gets ready to pull away whereas if you keep it on the handbrake in that situation the engine is still running, just drop the handbrake and go quickly.

The etg5 I've got may be different from a 6, its not in neutral when held on the brake or handbrake but stays in first.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Rattlegun said:
I don't find it crazy, its quite useful when waiting at one of those difficult junctions or roundabouts where chances to pull out are rare. If you're holding on the footbrake with the engine stopped there's the delay while the engine restarts and gets ready to pull away whereas if you keep it on the handbrake in that situation the engine is still running, just drop the handbrake and go quickly.

The etg5 I've got may be different from a 6, its not in neutral when held on the brake or handbrake but stays in first.
I have the ETG6 box. With footbrake applied, the engine stops - lift off the brake and the restart is instantaneous - absolutely no delay. My point was simply that in my opinion it is safer to activate the S/S with the handbrake for two reasons - The car cannot move off inadvertently, also the brake lights are not on when stopped. The delay caused by leaning forward to press the Drive button and release the handbrake is far greater than simply releasing the handbrake (given the instant restart)

My points refer to the automatic version - if a manual is left in gear and the engine restarts, it could be problematic... :)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts