Citroen C4 Cactus Crossover Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, just wondered what people think to Stop/Start. I had it in my other car and it was ok although I used to switch it off. I have used it with the Cactus but I still have a tendancy to switch it off. I have a niggle in my mind that although it saves money, surely it'll wear out the starter motor prematurely. What do other members think ?.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Found an article that is interesting and it seems it doesn't use the starter motor to restart, here is an extract

But there's another, even more advanced version of engine stop-start that you'll find in Peugeot and Citroen cars. The two French companies share parts and use the same system, which makes use of a so-called 'reversible' alternator and capacitors to store reclaimed energy.

The system was introduced to Peugeots by the first generation 308. The alternator can reverse its polarity, switching its function to become a generator and reclaiming energy that would otherwise be lost.

It stuffs the capacitors full of electricity that the alternator then piles back into the engine and restarts combustion in just 400 milliseconds. Once the engine is warm, the alternator takes care of all restarting duties. Like Mazda's system, the fuel savings are immediate when the engine cuts out.

Peugeot estimates that 15% of the time taken for a typical commute is spent stationary, and even includes a dedicated stop-start timer within its models' trip computers so that owners can see the benefit.

This is the article
http://home.bt.com/lifestyle/motoring/motoringfeatures/the-truth-about-stop-start-engines-11363870847326

·
Registered
25 Posts
It is the first time we had one on the test drive and it certainly seemed to save fuel the whole time - a great article John and thanks for educating us.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ah! The wonders of modern technology, so in theory, once the starter motor has done its job at the start of every trip, its then pretty much redundant. Well done that man!!

·
Registered
39 Posts
One advantage in this PSA system is that this system functions also in cold temperatures. My Cactus starts/stops even in -20 C. The motors starts automatically again if heater, heated seats and so on need energy again.

Most cars with start/stop by starting motor are capable to activate the system only in temperatures above 0 C degrees.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Have driven a start stop C4 for the last 3 years. I think it is very limited in practical situations as up here in Scotland when the temperature falls below 12 Degrees (a lot) any more than 5 secs. stopped the fan blows in Baltic air and when above 15 degrees (not a lot) you need air conditioning to keep cool and this switches off when stationary. This leaves about 2 weeks in the year when the system works, or is allowed to, as it should.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Sorry but I don't understand why you'd want to, it's saving you money after all.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm almost driving Freeway, so I am not realy using the stop/start function. It makes the start feeling lazy...
Maybe I have to familiarize with this function.... :)

·
Registered
73 Posts
first time I drove a vauxhall with stop/start it took some getting used to. but after a week i stopped noticing. only once i turned it off and that was in a very slow often stop for a second and move again type queue.

i found the cactus stop/start much more refined and instant than on the Astra.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
superlenti said:
Hi all, is there a way to deactivate the stop-start-function permanently?
Yes you can well we did in the test drive so I would think it would remember the setting..... its just a setting on the control screen but we don't have our car yet so can't remember the exact way but its very easy and we figured it out within 5 min with no manual

·
Registered
128 Posts
You can't disable it permanently from the settings. You can temporarily disable it but as soon as the engine is turned off it resets.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
StevieJ said:
You can't disable it permanently from the settings. You can temporarily disable it but as soon as the engine is turned off it resets.
Oh that's going to be a pain as its not something really I want left on personally :cry:

it may not use the starter motor but it must be ware and tear and an engine re-starting all the time

·
Registered
116 Posts
I think actually you'll find you get used to it...It depends a little on your driving style - if you tend to stay in gear when waiting in traffic (queues, junctions, roundabouts etc) then it won't be activating. However, if you always go into neutral and release the clutch in those situations it will be kicking in. I personally think it's a great feature and definitely saves fuel - I had it in my DS3 and there was no problem with anything wearing out more rapidly. :)

·
Registered
316 Posts
Stop/Start technology has been around for a long time and there are so many variations. Most of them do wear the Starter Motor unlike the PSA Peugeot / Citroen in which the Alternator goes in reverse and saves wear on the Starter Motor. I have had 3 cars up to date with the Start/Stop technology and no trouble at all although my Toyota was very slow to restart unlike my 2 Citroens and it does save fuel in the dreaded traffic jams.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts