Citroen C4 Cactus Crossover Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I get my new Cactus on friday.
On saturday I am travelling from Accrington to Hull for the football.
I've never had a car with the stop/start function before and a bit worried about messing something up and causing an accident.
Could somebody please explain and reassure me?

·
Registered
51 Posts
I was the same but there is nothing to worry about. When the car is taken out of gear, the engine will go off. As soon as you push your clutch pedal in to select a gear, the engine kicks in and away you go. It's that simple. Take it on a quiet industrial estate if you can and have a drive round. There is an option to turn it off if you desire till you get used to it.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Brilliant, thanks for the help guys, i think i will turn it off for Saturday then have a drive round later on next week.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Just to add a bit to what Markyb54 said - the engine will only shut off whilst stationary and when you have let the clutch up once it's out of gear.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Cheers Stevie, I forgot that bit. Madon, hope you have as much fun as the rest of us when you get it. I have clocked over 1000 miles in just over 3 weeks.

·
Registered
644 Posts
I too was worried about the stop start at first but it's become second nature now. I even look across at other drivers in traffic and wonder why they still have their engines running!

G

·
But there's another, even more advanced version of engine stop-start that you'll find in Peugeot and Citroen cars. The two French companies share parts and use the same system, which makes use of a so-called 'reversible' alternator and capacitors to store reclaimed energy.

The system was introduced to Peugeots by the first generation 308. The alternator can reverse its polarity, switching its function to become a generator and reclaiming energy that would otherwise be lost.

It stuffs the capacitors full of electricity that the alternator then piles back into the engine and restarts combustion in just 400 milliseconds. Once the engine is warm, the alternator takes care of all restarting duties. Like Mazda's system, the fuel savings are immediate when the engine cuts out.

Peugeot estimates that 15% of the time taken for a typical commute is spent stationary, and even includes a dedicated stop-start timer within its models' trip computers so that owners can see the benefit.
Also note that if the engine is using a lot of electrics i.e. A/C, radio etc it may over-ride the stop start so if you stop it may not operate, it's not a fault.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Also dont do what I did in mine on a hot day (yes we had an odd one or two this year!)...

Pulled up into a parking space, handbrake on, clutch out, Stop Start engages (engine off), put into first (habit when parking), open drivers door and off we went! I didnt get a chance to grab the keys!

Both front doors will restart the car if its in Stop Start mode. I understand why you'd want this on the drivers door, but on the PAX door its a bit of a pain...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Ah I thought I'd found a fault yesterday with mine - was in 'eco' stop/start mode when a friend got in the passenger door. Couldn't fathom why the engine restarted. Odd!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts