Citroen C4 Cactus Crossover Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. I'll cut straight to the chase - we're considering replacing our V70 D5 with a Cactus. The 24 hour test drive reeled us in and the whole family have fallen for the car.

We had the 100bhp diesel on the test drive and it was perfectly acceptable, once I'd got over not having a rev counter. But my daily commute is only 17 miles each way, and we only have about 3 'decent' runs a year (350 mile round trip to the in-laws), otherwise it's just pottering around. The dealer has advised me to go for the 110 petrol as I'll not really be getting the benefit. I'm more drawn to the petrol as I've never really loved the D5 in my Volvo but now I've found this forum I figured I'd take advantage of it! Also, does the 6-speaker system on the Flair include rear speakers? God help my toddler if she can't hear her Frozen soundtrack properly! :shock: :shock:

·
Registered
60 Posts
Hi,

I have a 110 petrol and I really like it. I posted on another thread that I was getting 47mpg from new on a 30 minute commute, part A road and part Mway. I'm now doing a longer commute, 70 miles one way, and now that I have cut back on the pedal a little, I'm getting over 54mpg. So far only 1500 on the clock and I expect the mpg to improve. There are speakers in the back on my Flair, and the control panel will let you change the speaker emphasis to different parts of the cab.

·
Registered
735 Posts
I decided on petrol due to only 5000 miles per year. The drop in petrol prices is a bonus. The engine growl is particularly pleasing compared with diesel rattle. Lack of a rev counter pales into insignificance. ;)

·
Registered
13 Posts
I always go for the diesel option personally. The engine sound on a petrol car is far sweeter, but what concerns car insurance cost, motor longevity, consumption, less presise pedal work required, future proofing what concerns EU regulations on consumption and fuel types and such I find the diesel beats out the petrol by a considerable margin in future-proofness, cost, efficiency and practical stuff.

Also, the diesel motor on the Cactus hums, it's hardly that old "diesel rattle" people associate with diesel engines.

Not sure if this still applies, but they do say diesel motors lend themselves better to tuning later on, too due to their more durable build vs. components in a petrol engine. (if that's your thing.)

Doubt there will be much of a difference with modern petrol engines, but I'm throwing it out there anyway. At the end of the day, go with what you'll enjoy the most! If your heart is telling you petrol, go for it! I for instance am crazy enough to enjoy manual gearboxes over automatic (feels like you're actually doing something). :lol: I'll probably still use a manual gearbox when everyone else is in self-driving cars :D

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
I have the diesel 100 and it does not rattle (much) its a good strong smooth engine but if you are not doing many miles a diesel may not be the best choice with the DPI filter as with small journeys they can blog up over time and even break and they are VERY expensive

·
Registered
328 Posts
ShadowTD said:
Hi everyone. I'll cut straight to the chase - we're considering replacing our V70 D5 with a Cactus. The 24 hour test drive reeled us in and the whole family have fallen for the car.

We had the 100bhp diesel on the test drive and it was perfectly acceptable, once I'd got over not having a rev counter. But my daily commute is only 17 miles each way, and we only have about 3 'decent' runs a year (350 mile round trip to the in-laws), otherwise it's just pottering around. The dealer has advised me to go for the 110 petrol as I'll not really be getting the benefit. I'm more drawn to the petrol as I've never really loved the D5 in my Volvo but now I've found this forum I figured I'd take advantage of it! Also, does the 6-speaker system on the Flair include rear speakers? God help my toddler if she can't hear her Frozen soundtrack properly! :shock: :shock:
At 61 mpg combined driving, 70% motorway I wouldn't have anything other than a diesel. But I'm doing 18k a year.

Flair has speakers in the back, so frozen can ring out :D

·
Registered
472 Posts
Personaly I would never have another diesel, ever!. Regardless of better fuel consuption, if you're only doing short trips you'll more than likely have DPF problems. For the last few years low emmision zones in cities are appearing all over europe. During that time eu have been chasing their own tails desparately to get the emmisions down whenever they set new standards, as we've seen latele with VW etc etc. I've even read on internet that they're going to stop building diesel engines by 2020 (or hoping to ). But if you do the miles very quickly then maybe it'll suit your needs. But thats just my opinion, awhile back the goverment convinced us to buy diesel now they're going back on that, I wonder why?.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I looked into diesels before I bought my Cactus as I wanted to go with the 'greenest' option. Perhaps this isn't news to most people, but I was quite surprised that if you dig a little deeper, and beyond this over-simplified view of 'low CO2' as the ultimate measure of how 'green' a car is - diesels are actually more harmful to the environment compared to petrol with a catalytic converter (which most cars have). The NOx and particulate matter emissions are far greater from a diesel. So I went for a petrol, 110 s&s, it's nicely nippy and emits 100g CO2, and albeit only a small bonus - still free to tax :)

·
Registered
48 Posts
cactusjack said:
Personaly I would never have another diesel, ever!. Regardless of better fuel consuption, if you're only doing short trips you'll more than likely have DPF problems. For the last few years low emmision zones in cities are appearing all over europe. During that time eu have been chasing their own tails desparately to get the emmisions down whenever they set new standards, as we've seen latele with VW etc etc. I've even read on internet that they're going to stop building diesel engines by 2020 (or hoping to ). But if you do the miles very quickly then maybe it'll suit your needs. But thats just my opinion, awhile back the goverment convinced us to buy diesel now they're going back on that, I wonder why?.
Perhaps this article in FT will shed some light on your question. I can see why concern about the European car industry influences policies. A bit sad though. They don't have this problem in North America and perhaps that's why it was the Americans that spoke up about the VW scandal.

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/627c6812-7faf-11e4-adff-00144feabdc0.html

·
Registered
105 Posts
I was asking this question to myself before I chose the car I have today.. The Cactus (of course). Pertrol or Diesel????

Looking at a lot of brands, the petrol consumption has improved with today's 3 cylinder engines. On the other hand a lot of today's diesels don't like short trips because of the DPF filters like previously mentioned.

So since I live on a small island with its fair share of traffic I started looking for a petrol to completely avoid DPF problems.. (We dont know yet if in 2 or 3 years these things will clog up in a lot of diesels...)

I fell in love with the Cit Cactus and ordered that.. With the Puretech 1.2 Petrol.. The 82bhp version. I must say that I'm suprised how quick it is.. The key factor is its weight... only 960kg.

What I considered is as follows.. Here the diesel version is around 2000 GBP more to buy then the petrol.. To get those 2000 back with the diesel's better consumption how long will it have took me.. Answer is around 5 years. So the choice was easy.. and the other plus is I dont have a DPF filter anywhere,

So see how many miles you do and that will help answer your question..

Diesels do have their advantages as well.. just have a look above.. at other posts on this forum.. and get your calculator out :D

Good luck on your choice :D

·
Registered
12 Posts
If you are only doing a relatively low mileage, I'd definitely go for the petrol engine. You have to do a lot of miles to save the extra cost, and as others have pointed out there are environmental considerations, particularly in towns.

I have switched from a Citroen C4 turbo diesel 1.6 to a Cactus 1.2 Puretech 110. I'm very impressed with the engine which is very willing and has lots of pull.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Having had a 1.6 diesel previously I was concerned that the 1.2 petrol would be underpowered. Not a bit of it! Zappy, economical and clean.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
We had no choice the deal we were offered (and it was a GOOD deal) was for the 100 diesel and although I desperately wanted to try a 110 petrol I am very happy with the diesel. Great MPG, nice and smooth and plenty of torque for the hills

Would still like a go in a 110 petrol though :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Wow! So many responses in such a short time - this is a great community and I'm really grateful for all the responses.

Thanks for all of your input - you've reassured me I'm making the right decision in choosing the petrol. We've chosen the colour (purple!) and the options (glass roof & black wheels) so I just need to sell the Volvo now!

I'll post again when we take delivery :mrgreen:

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
ShadowTD said:
Wow! So many responses in such a short time - this is a great community and I'm really grateful for all the responses.

Thanks for all of your input - you've reassured me I'm making the right decision in choosing the petrol. We've chosen the colour (purple!) and the options (glass roof & black wheels) so I just need to sell the Volvo now!

I'll post again when we take delivery :mrgreen:
Good choice and good colour and spec - we want to see photos when you get it ;)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Will do! Further reading tonight has led to a mild worry - what's with people's glovebox USB and jukebox getting 'deleted'? I'll be pushing for the MultiCity connect to be thrown in as a 'make me sign' sweetener - I really like having realtime traffic via data as opposed to TMC, and that was going to be plugged in in the glovebox. And as for the jukebox, that's where I was planning on stashing all of my daughter's crappy music! Poor show if this has been dropped from the trim level and they're not being clear about it.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I got my baby two weeks ago and unfortunately it's true there's no more USB in glove box, nor the jukebox. But I'm at peace as everything else is great and there's Bluetooth and you can always play music from an iPad or USB stick :)

·
Registered
48 Posts
It seems that they keep changing specs periodically, and as much as I'm not a fan of local dealers, I can't see them having all that information at hand and ahead of time. I think this car is produced at relatively tight margins so a couple of little things taken away may make a difference to them. Also it seems the brake configuration was downgraded a bit but it's more than adequate for the engin specs / car weight. On the bright side, my car was supposed to have a rear bench but came with a rear 1/3 2/3 split so it was give and take...

·
Registered
7 Posts
I had the diesel on a 24hr test and thought it was fine. I did though opt for the 110 petrol in the end. I got a higher spec flair for the the price I would pay for a diesel mid range model.

The petrol is great. I would say it's more responsive than the diesel. If you are not doing long runs and go for the diesel beware of potential DPF problems.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts