Citroen C4 Cactus Crossover Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

My first post on here and thanks very much for taking the time to read this.

I am thinking about buying a Cactus. I really like the simplicity and fun of it. Which is the best model? We do a mixture of city and rural driving.
I am borrowing the ETG version at the moment and the auto box is very very hesitant and slow in changes. Is this normal? I have a Golf DSG and it is a much better experience in this respect.
Thoughts and views welcome!
Thanks.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Its taken me a week or so to get used to the etg change (going from a silky smooth auto on my old LR Discovery)... Best not to think of this etg as an auto, but more as a leisurely clutched manual (if that makes sense?!) so what was happening, when the etg went to change gear, it felt as if the car was slowing and instinctively I was putting my foot down, this in turn causes the car to become confused and depresses the clutch again as it thinks you want to kick down so 2 clutch activations happen in a row which really does slow the car right down!! Driving more like a manual, so lifting the throttle slightly when the car changes gear helps smooth everthing out... And reminding myself this isnt a fast car!
250+kgs in the back today, and no big change to performance so all good!

·
Registered
1 Posts
We've go a manual blue tech hdi feel, it goes well not fast but not too slow either. After 500 miles the trip is showing 53mpg of mostly town driving, which I think is pretty good and should get better as the engine loosens up. As a comparison the other car Is an Audi A4 tdie that is supposed to do 63mpg, but It averages 46mpg (motorways with a heavy right foot), the most I've seen is 58 mpg and had to drive like a Honda driver to avoid running out of fuel on the motorway. The styling inside and outside is unique and value for money compared to run of the mill cars for the same money.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks all for the replies.
I have spent quite a bit of time in a Smart and understand a different driving style might be needed. It does sound like the manual might be the best bet. Shame only five speed though? Maybe Citreon will add a sixth at a model year change in a couple of years?
Many thanks.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I have driven only EGS and now ETG boxes for the last 8 years and covered 125,00 miles. I have never felt the need to lift off at any time. Press the pedal to make the progress you wish to and let the gearbox do the rest. It is better suited to a more relaxed style of driving and going by what I have witnessed this is not a bad thing at all.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks very much. I have to say the ETG is not working for me. Going up a steep hill yesterday it kept switching from third to fourth when I was using the manual control to try and keep it in third. The result was a confused car and unsatisfactory experience. I would prefer a proper automated manual box which keeps the car in gear as long as the driver asks it to. Not to worry - like other aspects of the car very much. Although it also seems to whistle at higher motorway speeds when windy - something idiosyncratic about the aero!

·
Registered
80 Posts
Look at the 'whistling cactus' thread on here. It turns out it's a rubber seal that needs trimming on the front passenger door.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hi arober86,

I could be wrong but if your gearbox is 'arguing' with you, leave it and see what happens. I must admit that I am surprised what gear mine selects for a quite steep hill I travel over. It seems perfectly happy to climb it in fourth, I guess it boils down to torque versus rpm. I do remember reading in the manual for my previous C4, that the gearbox knows best and will select the best gear for each situation, be it for power or for economy.

The only time I tend to interfere with the flappy paddles, is when I am approaching a hill in fifth gear and I know the car will change to fourth, by changing just before the hill, the gear change is smoother than the car changing when it detects the hill and is already climbing it, this also means your speed is maintained more accurately up the hill.

I hope this suggestion works and improves your enjoyment of your car.

Chris.

P.S. Incidentally, I use the cruise control as much as possible, (leaving a sensible gap between me and any vehicle in front), on A roads as well as dual carriageways / motorways, that way the car controls the throttle as well as the gears up hills.

·
Registered
316 Posts
I have an ETG diesel, no problem with the gear box just use your cruise control as often as possible and it will increase the mpg. I am getting 68 mpg all the time. The gearbox is a conventional clutch with electric gears that is why you feel a bit of a jolt when the gears change. It is also very light and used in a lot more vehicles, BMW is one and most trucks and buses use it to.

·
Registered
64 Posts
As I said earlier, trust the car. I also endorse using the cruise control as much as possible. Sit back, relax and enjoy the drive.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts