Citroen C4 Cactus Crossover Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

New to the forums. I have had a 48-hour test drive in a Cactus before and loved it, and am now thinking of buying a used one. I generally prefer automatics so am interested in the ETG6, which is I believe is a semi-auto box, but I have heard it described as a poor semi-auto, with a sluggish gear change. I would get it with the 1.6 diesel engine.

What are the thoughts here on the ETG6 box? Is it as bad as it sounds? Also, how much does it affect the mpg?

I have driven one semi-auto before, a Honda Jazz. The gear change on that is truly awful; you felt the car lurch under heavy engine braking every time it changed gear, and the change itself was far too slow.

Thanks,

Craig

·
Registered
29 Posts
Before buying a Cactus we drove both manual and automatic (2 times 24 hours, 2 different cars). We really wanted ETG but we found it awful. It was with 110HP engine so there was no issue with speed/power but changing the gear itself was driving us mad. You could feel the car almost brakes and then accelerates - after going from 1st to ...st gear I was getting green.

It could sound like exaggeration but thats our, especially mine feeling. However my friend drives similar automated Peugeot and finds it ok. So I guess I'm biased.

Finally we bought manual and it's perfectly fin (well - could have 6 instead of 5 gears).
Check some online reviews - written and video - most people complain about ETG.

G

·
I have the 82 petrol with the 5 speed ETG. I was dubious about the semi auto after reading all the negative reports but they were for the diesel with the 6 speed.

I arranged a test drive for half a day with my dealer for the petrol and was pleasantly surprised how smooth it was. I went ahead and purchased one and after having it for over a year I have no regrets. It is silky smooth and 90% of the time I don't even feel it change, sometimes on a steep hill I do feel it change down.

I have driven many proper automatics over the years and although not equal to them the 5 speed ETG doesn't fall far short.

I'm sure some other owners who have the 6 ETG will reply with their impressions.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Interesting. I wonder if the 'box can't quite handle the diesel torque. I'll wait for any diesel ETG6 owners to chime in.

·
Registered
383 Posts
The Jazz you drove (depending on age) was either a CVT auto or traditional auto, they haven't done a semi-auto.

emperorzbigniew said:
Before buying a Cactus we drove both manual and automatic (2 times 24 hours, 2 different cars). We really wanted ETG but we found it awful. It was with 110HP engine so there was no issue with speed/power but changing the gear itself was driving us mad.
It wouldn't have been the 110bhp model, you can't have that with ETG - if it was petrol, it would be 82bhp only.

The ETG is an acquired taste, being an automated clutch it will always lack smoothness against a traditional auto but it also doesn't lose power which with a small engine is a real bonus

·
Registered
64 Posts
My cactus 82 ETG is my third Citroen with this box. The other two were 1.6 diesels and I had no issues. With this petrol engine I have found it hesitant and jerky at low speed and I have now ordered a 110 manual. This may not be typical but I am disappointed.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have 1.6 HDI ETG6 and if you prefer calm driving it's good choice. Only one problem is the shift between 1 to 2 and 2 to 1 gear.
It feels like some jerking sometimes.
In 4th and 5th gear there is able wird sound also (like broken differential in old car).
Despite of that I still recomend this gearbox for city driving.
Driving only in the city is about 5,6L and in speedway about 4,5L.

G

·
As an aside to my original post, most of my driving is rural so perhaps I would think different if I did a lot of stop start town driving.

·
Registered
262 Posts
We have the 82ETG and on the whole are very pleased.

The only issue is a feeling occasionally that there is a delay changing from 1st to 2nd when pulling away but the car does not loose power and you get used to this in time.

·
Registered
383 Posts
mbmastermx said:
I have 1.6 HDI ETG6 and if you prefer calm driving it's good choice. Only one problem is the shift between 1 to 2 and 2 to 1 gear.
It feels like some jerking sometimes.
In 4th and 5th gear there is able wird sound also (like broken differential in old car).
Despite of that I still recomend this gearbox for city driving.
Driving only in the city is about 5,6L and in speedway about 4,5L.
You need to get your car checked by Citroën ASAP - there is a known issue with the ETG (previously called EGS) which is identified as a whine at about 70km/h; the bearings on the output shaft are misaligned and failing - caught quickly it is new bearings, not caught quickly enough and it is a new gearbox - the issue is well documented as this 'box is common on the original C4 Picasso/ Grand Picasso, I am also aware of a few pug 2008 owners suffering too (it's the same box despite Peugeot calling it EGC).

Never buy a used ETG/EGS/EGC car with a whining 'box - it will cost money.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks for this information. I will contact Citreon ASAP. Car is still on warranty. I thougt that sound is normal for this gearbox it turns out that is some issue. :oops:

·
Registered
316 Posts
I and my sister both have Hdi ETG6 boxes. No problem with each car. You have to remember that a conventional Auto box does not get the mpg that you can get with an ETG6 semi automatic. We both average 60 mpg all the time so very pleased with the Cactus.

·
Registered
8 Posts
My diesel semi- auto works fine if I just go easy on the acceleration. If I'm not happy with the gear I change it with my paddles.

But the whining sound that was raised in this conversation is worrying me. I hear a hollow sound like air going through a pipe, most obviously in 2nd & 3rd gear. It's not loud. Sounds a little bit like a CVT drone. Have had it checked out by Citroen & they can hear it but have ruled out it being a transmission issue (no errors detected when system analysed). Sound started around 1500km. If anyone else has heard something similar & got to the bottom of it let me know.

·
Registered
253 Posts
There is "a proper" Automatic gearbox on the way, planned for 2017, mated to a 110hp Turbo engine, maybe a Diesel too. The six speeds planetary gearbox is made by the Japanese manufacturer Aisin. Same combination is marketed in the 208 and 2008 Peugeot.

·
Registered
29 Posts
FrankBullitt said:
The Jazz you drove (depending on age) was either a CVT auto or traditional auto, they haven't done a semi-auto.

emperorzbigniew said:
Before buying a Cactus we drove both manual and automatic (2 times 24 hours, 2 different cars). We really wanted ETG but we found it awful. It was with 110HP engine so there was no issue with speed/power but changing the gear itself was driving us mad.
It wouldn't have been the 110bhp model, you can't have that with ETG - if it was petrol, it would be 82bhp only.
Yes, I'm sorry. It was 82 S&S. I don't know why I had feeling it was 110. However I sustain my comment that engine was OK as regards acceleration, etc..
Thanks for correcting me.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Mark said:
I and my sister both have Hdi ETG6 boxes. No problem with each car. You have to remember that a conventional Auto box does not get the mpg that you can get with an ETG6 semi automatic. We both average 60 mpg all the time so very pleased with the Cactus.
This is why I would want the ETG6. My current car is a slushbox auto diesel, which is nice but only gets 40mpg. I want 60mpg+ for my next car, but I'd still like it to be auto if I can.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
FrankBullitt said:

emperorzbigniew said:

The ETG is an acquired taste, being an automated clutch it will always lack smoothness against a traditional auto but it also doesn't lose power which with a small engine is a real bonus
It was a Jazz with the Honda i-SHIFT system, which is an automated manual.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Citroen EGT is really the old EGS which is Fiats Selespeed by way of Marinelli.

Avoid at all costs on a used Citroen,nothing but headaches.New sure go ahead but sell before or shortly after warranty runs out,

Hell same for HDI engines, avoid used any diesel with a DPF unless you do 25k miles plus a year

The mileage savings won't add up otherwise

1 - 18 of 18 Posts