Citroen C4 Cactus Crossover Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I need to store the car for a few months, I checked the Owners Manual regarding connections for using my battery charger.
The Positive terminal is nicely accessible under a plastic cover.
The Manual has a diagram showing connection of the Negative terminal to what looks like the engine mount to the left of the engine.
As there is no obvious 'bright' connection point there I asked my local Service Dept who said whilst you can connect a slave battery (as per the manual) to jumpstart a dead battery, they would not recommend connecting a battery charger (no reason given).
Any idea why??

·
Registered
472 Posts
Maybe its just a safety issue, charging in situ as it were as opposed to taking battery out to charge. But if you use a 'smart' charger i.e C-Tek ( I personaly only use these on my classics ) I cant see a problem as these are designed to be connected regardless on the car or off.

·
Registered
626 Posts
The only reason I can think is that "Economy Mode" (the battery monitor not the Start/Stop) monitors battery condition through a series of complex usage cycle algorythms. This is calculated as a result of function and mode uasage and what are engaged/disengaged as the ECU balances the recharge cycles accordingly to maintain battery life.

The main function of the battery charge status control unit (BECB) is to calculate the battery charge status, from measured (voltage, current) and calculated (battery internal temperature) physical parameters, then to transmit this information to the built-in systems interface to refine the activation of the energy economy mode .

The battery charge status control unit (BECB) incorporates an autodiagnostics function which returns any faults detected on the sensors and/or the internal electronics of the control unit .

The battery charge status control unit (BECB) has a role which permits optimisation of the management of the electrical energy .

When the generator is operating, the battery charge status control unit (BECB) permits optimisation of the load shedding strategies and when the generator is not operating, it permits provision of the comfort services (manual raising/lowering function, secondary inflation, maintaining of a comfortable temperature in particular) .

The battery charge status control unit :

Monitors the battery voltage in the off and ignition on statuses

Monitors the battery current in the off and ignition on statuses

Monitors the battery temperature in the off and ignition on statuses

Determines the battery charge status on the off and ignition on statuses

Determines the battery health status in the off and ignition on statuses

Informs the BSI 1 of an insufficient battery charge status

Informs the BSI 1 of a critical battery health status

The battery status sensor is supplied by a protected permanent battery+ supply .

The battery status information is available and distributed by the battery status sensor at the request of the built-in systems interface during the following life phases :

At the wake-up of the BSI 1 alone

At the partial and main wake-up of the IS CAN

At the wake-up of the COMFORT CAN or BODY CAN
http://c4owners.org/plugins/faq/faq.php?0.cat.10.87

In addition to the above, the CANBUS system on the car is very suseptable to current spikes and current draw over and above the desined system...hence why splicing/lenghtening cables to fit accessories or addition of higher wattage bulbs is a big no no.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Well there you have it in a 'kin great nutshell lol
The wonders of modern auto electrics, so caution is the key to not 'cock up' :eek:

·
Registered
9 Posts
On page 206 of user manual there is note which is "With Stop & Start, the battery does not
have to be disconnected for charging." so it is strange why dealer does not recommend that.

·
Registered
626 Posts
cactusjack said:
Well there you have it in a 'kin great nutshell lol
The wonders of modern auto electrics, so caution is the key to not 'cock up' :eek:
Unfortunatly...gone are the days of "Battery, Alternator, Distributor, points(!) and condensor, Coil, 'Wires' and Engine"... :lol:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts