Citroen C4 Cactus Crossover Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, silly question time!

My first car was two XJ6s, a 3.8 with a fantastic engine and a 4.2 with fantastic body/subframe. Did end up with the right combination of engine and body! :D

Then found a D type inlet manifold with it's 3 SU80s in place, once all refurbished and installed it was a twice weekly stethoscope labor of love to keep performance up and gallons per mile down!

So, generally, when I lift a bonnet and have a gander at what lurks beneath I have a fair understanding. Sorry, that should read had! Please understand that I still think that carburetors, distribution caps etc are perfectly normal.

Why is there gold a foil wrapped lump strapped to the front of my shiny new engine? Has one of the workers in Milan left his Christmas turkey on slow roast?

Would be fantastic if we could come up with a general "How to do" section, starting with basics like keeping fluids at service levels, replacing filters and so forth. Visual map of engine bay, users serviceable parts.

Would be more than happy to contribute as we go along with details from my model.

·
Registered
626 Posts
(By no means intending to sound how it reads!) Have you looked in the manual? There is quite a bit of service info in there, more so than I have found in any other previous manual for a car I've owned.

That said the how to section would be good :)

Btw got a pic of the foil wrapped turkey? Sounds like it could be a heat shield of some sort.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
BristolRich said:
(By no means intending to sound how it reads!) Have you looked in the manual? There is quite a bit of service info in there, more so than I have found in any other previous manual for a car I've owned.

That said the how to section would be good :)

Btw got a pic of the foil wrapped turkey? Sounds like it could be a heat shield of some sort.
Fully agree, excellent manual and nice that it is downloadable.

Will post a picture later.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Attachments

·
Registered
64 Posts
The actual engine bit hasn't changed much from that of your old Jag or any other car really, there are just alot more ancillary componants lurking under the bonnet of modern cars oh and plenty of plastic (it's cheap and light don't ya know!). You'll also see lots of wiring as the modern car has lots of electrical bits and bobs and of course is controlled by it's electronic brain.
So to get to that internal combustion lump of metal we call an engine you are gonna need to get the spanners out and start stripping bits off. Once you've done that, if you can be bothered!, you'll start to see something you are more familiar with. Only it'll be alot smaller than you are used to, my little 1.2 petrol being a tiny 3 cylinder.

Doing and oil and filter change on the Cactus is still pretty much childs play as is the air filter. Few more bits to come off to get the plugs out but easy as, modern cars have individual ignition coils on each spark plug which are controlled by the cars ecu rather than the old plug leads and distributor of yester year.

Doing a basic service is really very easy, the only problem being you will need to reset the service indicator which requires hooking the car up to a diagnostic box of tricks. You can pay people to sort that for you if you should wish, but for me having said all that, I'm just happy to pop the car into Citroen and get them to do the service, plus they do a full diagnostic check and update any software that needs doing.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks.

As the first three years servicing are all included I will not be doing any servicing for a while but just like to understand what all of the bits under the bonnet that go to make up and support an engine are.

Do like that Citroen still give the service indicator reset instructions in the manual for those that like to do their own servicing.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
I used to do a fair bit of work on my old cars like swapping engines and constantly removing and cleaning starter motors but I am doing nothing with the Cactus as its all included.

You also have to watch out for the DPF filter on Diesels these days as if they are not reset 'properly' the car will go into limp home mode

But that that foil under your bonnet is probably just the dealers mechanics bacon sandwich :lol:

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
JohnYoung said:
I used to do a fair bit of work on my old cars like swapping engines and constantly removing and cleaning starter motors but I am doing nothing with the Cactus as its all included.

You also have to watch out for the DPF filter on Diesels these days as if they are not reset 'properly' the car will go into limp home mode

But that that foil under your bonnet is probably just the dealers mechanics bacon sandwich :lol:
And they say that there is no such thing as a free lunch :)

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
ruairip said:
JohnYoung said:

And they say that there is no such thing as a free lunch :)
Exactly and think yourself lucky I never got one in mine...... Or did I :? Might have to look more tomorrow :D

·
Registered
84 Posts
Just had the car into Stirling Citroen first mot and last service on my plan taken out when I got the car.Mot passed and only oil and filter changed,thought change of plugs and air filter would have been included as it was cars third service.Air bumps slightly loose to be replaced awaiting warranty clearance.Don't know if it's financially viable to keep using Citroen for servicing,or just go for independent garage.

·
Registered
709 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
That's the exhaust side you're looking at. The foil is wrapped around the top of the catalytic converter and what looks like a spark plug, is the lambda sensor.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Full service (air filter and spark plugs) is at year 2.

Stick with Citroën, is their value servicing which is a bit of a no-brainier

·
Registered
344 Posts
Ok going to upset folks now but that check list is little more than the checks done for the MOT.
So is it more than filter and oil change. Things like spark plugs should be good for 60,000 miles.
Mine will go to my local shop after 3 years, but then I have know them since we we're kids and I trust them.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Spark plugs and air filter at year two if thats the case mine were not changed,only oil and filter and cabin filter,so confusing as to what should have been included in services.

G

·
FrankBullitt said:
Stick with Citroën, is their value servicing which is a bit of a no-brainier
There are comparison websites for car servicing, for me none have been cheaper than the Citroen value servicing. Plus you know they have exactly the right diagnostic plus updates for the car.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts