Citroen C4 Cactus Crossover Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Cactus on order.. shark grey. I've ordered mine with the standard 16" anthracite square alloys..

The first reason is I think they would look cool on the colour I ordered..

Second reason is because where I live there are a few potholes here and there and I'm hoping they are stronger.

Am I right in thinking that the 16" anthracite square alloys are stronger than the 17" Diamond cut alloys?

Attachments

·
Registered
185 Posts
Have the same wheels on mine they cope with the numerous potholes and rough roads here.

·
Registered
316 Posts
You also get better mpg than the 17".

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Mark said:
You also get better mpg than the 17".
So why is that then, you would think bigger wheels which in theory go around less for the same distance would give a quieter ride and better MPG :?

Ahhh... just googled and its apparently the weight difference

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks all.

My better half wanted the 17" ones so I was sort of in a dilemma.

It's a matter of opinion which ones look nicer.. but I preferred the grey 16" ones like I uploaded on the opening message.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Kevin said:
Thanks all.

My better half wanted the 17" ones so I was sort of in a dilemma.

It's a matter of opinion which ones look nicer.. but I preferred the grey 16" ones like I uploaded on the opening message.
Yeah those do look really nice and suit the car colour well :cool:

·
Registered
735 Posts
Grey with grey.
Black with black. :evil:

·
Registered
79 Posts
Only problem I see with the smaller wheels is a visual one in that they leave quite a large gap to the arches.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That's another point MaroonB & I agree.

And another thing btw is that it should accelerate a bit faster with smaller wheels. With a lower top speed.

·
Registered
316 Posts
If you look at the specifications on the car, all the 16 " wheels get the most mpg. Eg.94mpg on the blue Hdi with 16" wheels.

·
Registered
185 Posts
There will be virtually no difference in speed etc between a 16" and 17" rim the profile of the tyre is reduced on the larger to give an almost identical rolling radius.

The 16" has a 55 profile tyre, i think the 17" has a 50 profile tyre

View attachment 286

Attachments

·
Registered
64 Posts
I think it's the slightly lower tyre profile on the 17's which account for the difference in road noise. In my reseach, just about every review mentioned the added road noise from the 17" alloys however I think it's slight and you'd have to test the cars back to back to notice the difference.

Didn't put me off having the 17's that come standard with the Flair, afterall size does matter!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
129 Posts
It's not the diameter that affects the noise and mpg, it's the additional width of the tyre and friction it causes. The better ride from smaller size wheels comes from the larger tyre sidewall which absorbs road imperfections.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Rattlegun said:
It's not the diameter that affects the noise and mpg, it's the additional width of the tyre and friction it causes. The better ride from smaller size wheels comes from the larger tyre sidewall which absorbs road imperfections.
Perfectly put.

So to answer the original question. 16s will have a larger sidewall. In theory deflecting potholes better.

·
Registered
626 Posts
My peneth worth is... if you a hit a pot hole hard enough to break an alloy it won't make a difference if its a 16 inch or 17 inch.

The tyres on the cactus have a generous profile. Having spent 5 years driving around on very hard suspension and 40 section tyres I know all the small dips bumps lumps and creases on the local roads personally. I understand your fear but you'll have to hit one VERY hard for it to break a wheel and your tyres along with your suspension....The only time I managed to do that was when my Mini Cooper was hit by an artic and chopped the alloy in across the wheel hub...

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
JohnC said:
There will be virtually no difference in speed etc between a 16" and 17" rim the profile of the tyre is reduced on the larger to give an almost identical rolling radius.

The 16" has a 55 profile tyre, i think the 17" has a 50 profile tyre

View attachment 286
Then how come the 16" rims look like they are smaller in the arches compared to the 17" rims?

I'm not referring to speed like I mentioned before.. I'm referring to looks.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Optical illusion maybe I don't know as I have never compared two cactii with the different combinations side by side, they are rare here in Turkey ;)

But the facts are there, use any tyre size calculator on the net and you will see that the overall diameter/height of the different tyre/wheel combinations are as follows a 205/50-16 is 24.9" whereas a 205/50-17 is 25.1" a negligible difference.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts