Citroen C4 Cactus Crossover Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have seen a 15" and a !6" space saver spare wheel on ebay and both said they can be used for a cactus with 17" wheels (like I have)

Anyone tried these sizes and which do I go for - which fits on the car with 17" wheels ??

·
Registered
262 Posts
We purchased a Flair and specified spare as an option, have not had the misfortune of trying it but the Citroen provided spacesaver is very obviously a 16 despite the 17s on the car. My thoughts are a limp to garage in the event of a sidewall shred or wheel damage. Minor puncture we have the choice of writing off repair possibilities by using the foam or using the spare. Both are in the car so in the event we have potential choices.

Over the years I have had at least three punctures where foam would not have been an option so would not be happy to travel without a spare wheel, have never carried or used a foam repair kit before but the provided one will live in the car and will get used if I think that is the easiest solution in case of need.

G

·
JohnYoung said:
I have seen a 15" and a !6" space saver spare wheel on ebay and both said they can be used for a cactus with 17" wheels (like I have)

Anyone tried these sizes and which do I go for - which fits on the car with 17" wheels ??
John I replied to a similar query a few months ago. see link
http://www.cactusforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=917
By the way there are no speed restrictions stated on my wheel and the difference in speed ratio was minimal.

·
Registered
328 Posts
JohnYoung said:

Space saver. Full sized tyres are heavy, after all :)

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Blactus said:
JohnYoung said:

No I meant 15" or 16" ? I would go for the space saver

·
Registered
328 Posts
JohnYoung said:
Blactus said:
JohnYoung said:

No I meant 15" or 16" ? I would go for the space saver
Well, in that case I would go for the 16" I don't like the idea of a lopsided ride ;)

I will measure the space saver in my boot, I assumed it was a 17

G

·
JohnYoung said:
Yeah that's why I was wondering even about the 16" it still an inche difference or does the tyre make up the difference ??
John here is a chart for my two wheel sizes, the standard 17" and the 16" factory supplied spare. As you see the percentage difference is minimal.

I have just checked my spare again and it does have a MAX Speed rating of 80kph i.e. 50mph it was on the underside.

If I had a puncture on the front I would transfer one of the rears to the front and put the spare on the rear.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I would much rather have a full size spare where possible rather than a space saver & that instead of the naff foam thing.

I run winter tyres on the family car from November to April (generally), so have just bought a set of 16 inch steel wheels at a bargain £59 for four! One of those is now installed in the spare wheel well along with a £14 scissor jack from Eurocarparts. It must weigh 10 or 12kg, but hey, it's no lightweight sports car & can afford a few extra pounds.

·
Registered
383 Posts
My solution is a bit along the lines of the last post.
here goes!

ebay- full size 17" cross diamond cut with tyre (goodyear 205/50/17) and TPMS already fitted. It doesn't fit the wheel well. :eek:
but it does if you let the air pressure out. :ugeek:
Put it in the well upside down
then take the air compressor (and tyre seal gunk).
a 2 tonne scissor jack (£12 on ebay)
wheel brace (£5)
alloy wheel nut socket and an allen key to get the cover off.

put it all in plastic bags
put a bin liner in the tyre well and use some expanding foam to fill inside the bin liner
when its stopped expanding put the plastic bags (with the brace, jack and other bits and pieces) in the foam and wait for it to set. trim it back.

what does all this achieve.
* quick fix if you want to
* full size spare if its more serious (use the compressor to reinflate spare when removed from the wheel well) fit and forget while you get the tyre repared/replaced.

This is a serious option if you are travelling in Europe (don't ask me how I know)

·
Registered
262 Posts
berapotter said:
My solution is a bit along the lines of the last post.
here goes!

cut...

what does all this achieve.
* quick fix if you want to
* full size spare if its more serious (use the compressor to reinflate spare when removed from the wheel well) fit and forget while you get the tyre repared/replaced.

This is a serious option if you are travelling in Europe (don't ask me how I know)
I like this idea, particularly the expanding foam solution.

Went for the spacesaver when I bought our Cactus so am looking for a spare wheel storage insert solution.

There is a potential issue with this solution in the UK, as far as I am aware a non road worthy spare wheel is a MOT failure and I suspect that not being at the correct pressure would count despite having a compressor in the car. It might be worth removing the spare just for MOT examinations.

·
Registered
383 Posts
fair comment about the MOT.
but can't think I've ever had the spare wheel pressure checked at MOT time. depends what road worthy is, would have thought minimum tread would have been what's important.
and I've still got the foamy squirty thing in the back :D

I'll ask my MOT tester and report back!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Berapotter,
re. 17"
[ebay- full size 17" cross diamond cut with tyre (goodyear 205/50/17) and TPMS already fitted. It doesn't fit the wheel well. :eek:
but it does if you let the air pressure out. :ugeek:
Put it in the well upside down]

How much air do /did you let out of the 17" spare? Presumably not too much? I very quickly measured the well diameter at approx. 25" so it looks as if a 17" might (just) fit although the bottom of the well sides are quite curved which makes me think the 17" would sit too high with air in it? A thick mat under the boot floor carpet might solve that?
We just got a 2016 petrol Flair with 17" alloys but with no spare & no compressor kit either! Bloody dealers... So they said they'll get us the compressor kit but I think a full size spare is a better idea for serious use & it may as well be an alloy to match if that's possible.
Cheers

·
Registered
5 Posts
Regarding a proper spare wheel rather than a 50mph emergency type, I've done a test. Tried the 17" alloy (205-50-17) in the wheel well. At 637mm dia. the only way to fit it is to deflate to 10psi (0,75 bar) & even then the friction from the tyre against the well sides makes it pretty hard to lift out. Easier with some plastic sheet lining the well, it slides out ok then. The whole wheel weighs 47 lbs (21kg) so not light to lift when it's a tight fit & you're leaning over the boot lip. The other problem is the 205 wide tyre which means the floor panel rests on the tyre & sits above the boot floor by 12mm-22mm (due to differing floor shape). A wheel with 195 tyre would still be too high. Anyway, some plywood sheet cut to fit would sort this out otherwise you'll knacker the floor panel, its very flimsy.
The nearest alternative is a 185-60-R16 at 628mm dia. so should just fit. The next best option is a 15" wheel with 185-65 tyre which is a few more mm smaller diameter (621mm) so will fit in the well & just on the 2.5% limit of recommended diameter difference for odd tyres. As others have said, probably better to only fit this on the rear which means a double wheel change if you get flat up front.

G

·
I have a factory supplied steel spare which is 185/65 R16 and it has a recommended speed limit sticker of 80kph approximately 50mph, my standard tyres are 205/50 R17.

On a tyre size comparison site they equate to be almost identical ratios, so I cannot understand the speed restriction.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.