Citroen C4 Cactus Crossover Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My car has this strange high pitched whining noise coming when driving at around 100-140 km/h. I am pretty sure it's something resonating, a wind noise of some sort. At first I suspected the turbo, but I don't think that's the case. My mechaninc has checked the turbo. There's no slack, the car doesn't use any oil at all, exhaust is clear. We removed the DPF and had it profesionally cleaned just to rule that out. After 200.000 km it was 47% full. When it got back it's 0,9% full according to the computer.

The sound comes only when driving in windy conditions with wind hitting the car from the front/right. It doesn't change when I switch off A/C, if I set it to re-circulation or any other combination of settings. I have tried removing the little "pan" which is under the fresh air intake where the cabin air filter is located. I have tried removing the engine cover and driving without. All this does nothing. I am pretty sure it's some sort of resonance. My daughter filmed a video while the noise was present the other day. Please have a look and let me know if you have experienced something similar.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Could be something as simple as a wiper blade vibrating or a whistling panel gap.

Next time you drive in the wind try this (under safe conditions) switch off engine and freewheel. As apart from the wheels turning nothing else should be. That should limit all other noises. And will be easier to pinpoint.

·
Registered
288 Posts
I seem to remember that there was an official fix for similar whistling caused by a fault in the door seals on the Cactus. There is a join in the seal that wasn't necessarily sealed correctly, and the fix remedied that.

You'll find a thread about it here: High Pitched Whistling Sound at High Speeds

Reactions: thetapeworm

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the link to the old thread, srperry! It is exactly my problem described in that thread. I went to Citroën today and they'll get back to me when the manager gets back from holiday regarding doing the TSB work. In the meantime I made my own foam strips and mounted them according to the information in the TSB and it seems to be working.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Thanks for the link to the old thread, srperry! It is exactly my problem described in that thread. I went to Citroën today and they'll get back to me when the manager gets back from holiday regarding doing the TSB work. In the meantime I made my own foam strips and mounted them according to the information in the TSB and it seems to be working.
Glad to have been of help.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts