Citroen C4 Cactus Crossover Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On most cars that are built in left side driving places, you find the fuel filler cap on the right side and the exhaust on the left side. Like German, French, Italian cars.
On most cars that are built in right side driving places, you find the fuel filler cap on the left side and the exhaust on the right side. Like Japanese, Korean and British made cars.

The Cactus is a French car! So how come the fuel filler cap is on the left side? I wonder...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
55 Posts
Primekart said:
So how come the fuel filler cap is on the left side? I wonder...
It's french...they did it, to mess with you

:mrgreen:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
328 Posts
Ford BMax made in Romania has filler cap on left, Ford Focus made in Germany has filler cap on right. So I don't believe it's a French stitch up. The cactus is made in Spain any way,
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
265 Posts
Primekart said:
On most cars that are built in left side driving places, you find the fuel filler cap on the right side and the exhaust on the left side. Like German, French, Italian cars.
On most cars that are built in right side driving places, you find the fuel filler cap on the left side and the exhaust on the right side. Like Japanese, Korean and British made cars.

The Cactus is a French car! So how come the fuel filler cap is on the left side? I wonder...
Its built for the British market. Here's what I believe is correct.

The exhaust is on the right side of the car as that is furthest from pedestrians on the pavement. This is applicable to all cars I believe. Im not sure if its a law, but I think its certainly a "guideline".

The filler cap is on the opposite side of the car to the driver to try to make people pull up to the pump with it on the left of the car thereby eliminating the possibility of the driver opening their car door wide and clunking it on the pump or not leaving enough room to get out. This isnt a rule and I had a Laguna once built for the UK market with the filler cap on the right. However I think the above is the theory behind it.

Or I could be talking a load of nonesense :roll:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
328 Posts
Adrian said:
Primekart said:
On most cars that are built in left side driving places, you find the fuel filler cap on the right side and the exhaust on the left side. Like German, French, Italian cars.
On most cars that are built in right side driving places, you find the fuel filler cap on the left side and the exhaust on the right side. Like Japanese, Korean and British made cars.

The Cactus is a French car! So how come the fuel filler cap is on the left side? I wonder...
Its built for the British market. Here's what I believe is correct.

The exhaust is on the right side of the car as that is furthest from pedestrians on the pavement. This is applicable to all cars I believe. Im not sure if its a law, but I think its certainly a "guideline".

The filler cap is on the opposite side of the car to the driver to try to make people pull up to the pump with it on the left of the car thereby eliminating the possibility of the driver opening their car door wide and clunking it on the pump or not leaving enough room to get out. This isnt a rule and I had a Laguna once built for the UK market with the filler cap on the right. However I think the above is the theory behind it.

Or I could be talking a load of nonesense :roll:
Well it was a good story any way :D

My brother has a focus cap on the right, my wife has a BMax cap on the left. Made in different factories. Some people used to say Japanese cars on left, European on right. Not true either. It's not just position of cap but position of petrol tank and thus something only car manufacturers could shed any light on
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
265 Posts
I'm from belgium and ALL cactus have the filler cap on the left. So Adrian, if your teory is correct, we have a problem here.
I can't imagine why they do that, my old c4 had the filler on the right side.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
348 Posts
Just checked, our Peugeot 207 is on the left and our Megane is on the right. I think all this has proved is that there's no country-of-origin logic to the location.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
725 Posts
I can't see how country of origin could affect it anyway. In this country you can pull up either side of the pump.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
164 Posts
Vacuman said:
Just checked, our Peugeot 207 is on the left and our Megane is on the right. I think all this has proved is that there's no country-of-origin logic to the location.
+1

New C4 Picasso right side, Citroen DS5 left side, Peugeot 407 right side, Citroen DS3 left side...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
644 Posts
I thought was just random. Have had 50/50 with left and right caps. Guess if all the same we'd all be queuing at the same pumps!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
265 Posts
I stand by my logic which has the following video as support

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
26 Posts
I have heard that cars which have a fuel pump icon on the dash panel (which leaves out the Cactus) show the filler nozzle on the icon on the same side as the filler cap on the car is.

Roly
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
725 Posts
Mothy said:
I have heard that cars which have a fuel pump icon on the dash panel (which leaves out the Cactus) show the filler nozzle on the icon on the same side as the filler cap on the car is.

Roly
I thought that was common knowledge
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
266 Posts
Mothy said:
I have heard that cars which have a fuel pump icon on the dash panel (which leaves out the Cactus) show the filler nozzle on the icon on the same side as the filler cap on the car is.

Roly
The Cactus has a fuel pump icon beside the fuel gauge which indicates that the opening is on the passenger side. Most cars have nowadays.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
185 Posts
I have a LHD car the filler cap is on the same side, doesn't bother me which side it's on as we still have fuel pump attendants :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
265 Posts
Actually what makes me laugh is when I see a queue for the left hand pumps and I just drive up to the empty right hand one's as often the hose will easily reach across the boot to the left side. Happens so often ☺
 
1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Top