Citroen C4 Cactus Crossover Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Asking out of curiosity more than anything...

My wiper blades are leaving what looks like silicone deposits all over the windscreen. This is fine during daylight hours however at night, in a drizzle its a flipping nightmare to see anything other than blurred lights. Visibility is reduced significantly and water is "pushed around the windscreen" opposed to it being swept clear and removed.

I have tried to clean the windscreen with proprietary screen cleaners but these will not shift the deposit. In the end the only thing I could find that would get it off is "Bar Keepers Friend" which is essentially a very fine abrasive paste you mix to cut through and remove the deposits. It works a treat for all of three or four days use of the wipers until you realise the screen is progressively getting worse again and its back to being a big smeary mess.

I've come to the conclusion that it is the wipers for due to...

Where the windscreen wipers park at the bottom of the screen a large blobby smear forms that increases in size and spread through use of the wipers.

When I got out of the car the other day I knocked the windscreen wiper stalk down causing the blades to park in the raised position. I left them like that for three hours and upon returning to the car I now have two silicone "lines" down the windscreen from where they remained parked.

New blades are going to be picked up this afternoon however just curious if anyone else has similar symptoms?

·
Registered
129 Posts
This can happen if you mix incompatible screenwashes, sometimes they can react so badly they leave gooey deposits and even block the pump.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Rattlegun said:
This can happen if you mix incompatible screenwashes, sometimes they can react so badly they leave gooey deposits and even block the pump.
Hmmm that'll be the super concentrated screen wash added at the service then back in Sept? I know it was 3/4 full and on collection the service manager handed me the remains of a small 100ml bottle of Citroen branded lemon scented super concentrated screen wash...looks like its not liked what was already in the washer bottle...

Example...

·
Registered
128 Posts
So are we talking too strong a mixture, poor quality screenwash or a combination of both? Not had to fill ours up yet so ideal time to find a good one to use.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What was in there was a premixed summer concentration I picked up somewhere. Took it in for a service and (as the service sheet suggests) checked and topped up the screen wash.

What they used was a high concentrate Citroen product in a tiny bottle for the whole reservoir.

Maybe a incompatable mix...?

·
Registered
129 Posts
Could be, Jaguar have a proprietary green screen wash they supply with their cars and at service, which causes all sorts of problems if mixed with other types. I did notice my cactus did what yours is doing when I got it, it seems to have cleared up by itself though.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Think I'm going to wait until the reservoir is completely empty then splash out a bit and try the Autoglym screen wash. Everything else that gets applied to car is by them so it should be good.

·
Registered
266 Posts
BristolRich said:
Asking out of curiosity more than anything...

My wiper blades are leaving what looks like silicone deposits all over the windscreen. This is fine during daylight hours however at night, in a drizzle its a flipping nightmare to see anything other than blurred lights. Visibility is reduced significantly and water is "pushed around the windscreen" opposed to it being swept clear and removed.

I have tried to clean the windscreen with proprietary screen cleaners but these will not shift the deposit. In the end the only thing I could find that would get it off is "Bar Keepers Friend" which is essentially a very fine abrasive paste you mix to cut through and remove the deposits. It works a treat for all of three or four days use of the wipers until you realise the screen is progressively getting worse again and its back to being a big smeary mess.

I've come to the conclusion that it is the wipers for due to...

Where the windscreen wipers park at the bottom of the screen a large blobby smear forms that increases in size and spread through use of the wipers.

When I got out of the car the other day I knocked the windscreen wiper stalk down causing the blades to park in the raised position. I left them like that for three hours and upon returning to the car I now have two silicone "lines" down the windscreen from where they remained parked.

New blades are going to be picked up this afternoon however just curious if anyone else has similar symptoms?
This happens very easily if even a trace of polish gets on the wipers... Dis you by any chance use a wax-wash type of product? I have found the best cure is vinegar on a piece of crumpled up newspaper. The combo of printers' ink and vinegar works wonders :)

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Dadioglasgow said:
This happens very easily if even a trace of polish gets on the wipers... Dis you by any chance use a wax-wash type of product? I have found the best cure is vinegar on a piece of crumpled up newspaper. The combo of printers' ink and vinegar works wonders :)
Not intentionally as I've always use the same wash/polish/wax on all my cars and not had the same problem.

I have waxed the car in the past and it did cross my mind if the car is sat out in the rain (which it can be for some 5 days on end) if the water from the roof (polished and waxed) is tracing down the windscreen (it will) and causing the problem?

Regardless of the above if I clean the screen and its perfect, after 3days of use its back to being bad again which makes me wonder if its the blades.

·
Registered
17 Posts
hi there ref your silicon problem on the front screen,could it be the protective transit wax that has not been washed off properly at the pdi stage, I have seen this before on new vehicles.just a thought try methelated spirits on rag for the screen,and a rag soaked in vinegar on the wipers,and blades.or if you would rather not try,take it back to the dealers,and ask them to steam clean that area again.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thought that but fortunately not although it isn't garaged as the MX5 is currently in there... :(

1 - 12 of 12 Posts