Citroen C4 Cactus Crossover Forum banner

Cleaning airbumps

47K views 70 replies 25 participants last post by  paully 
#1 ·
I have seen recommendations for back to black products but I really want to know which ones last the longest. So these two bad boys start the experiment and I know they are crap but we need a control and they are left overs from previous cars (that needed very little of this TLC). So it's turtle v car plan and turtle was easier to apply but finish is currently identical. But lts the length I'm interested in. So join in the experiment n let's nail the best product for staying power. Will post an update in a week or so. K

Attachments

See less See more
G
#2 ·
I would be careful as I do believe the handbook says to use nothing but water on the airbupmps. Myself and I do believe many on here use Auto Glym Vinyl And Rubber Care without any problems with great results.

I'm not saying don't use what you are using but just be careful.

#3 ·
Keith said:
Matressontheside said:
I have seen recommendations for back to black products but I really want to know which ones last the longest. So these two bad boys start the experiment and I know they are crap but we need a control and they are left overs from previous cars (that needed very little of this TLC). So it's turtle v car plan and turtle was easier to apply but finish is currently identical. But lts the length I'm interested in. So join in the experiment n let's nail the best product for staying power. Will post an update in a week or so. K
I would be careful as I do believe the handbook says to use nothing but water on the airbupmps. Myself and I do believe many on here use Auto Glym Vinyl And Rubber Care without any problems with great results.

I'm not saying don't use what you are using but just be careful.
+1
and I used to apply STP sun of a gun. Very easy to apply (just spray and wipe) and it's non oxide and can be applied on every plastic surface. But as said before the manual says to use only water.

#4 ·
I've been using Astonish black bumper and trim spray, and I don't really know if it's made much of an impact. The bumps do look good, but no idea if they would look the same just washing with water?

#5 ·
For a £1 the Astonish is great for day to day sprucing up. I've found that the Autoglym stuff leaves a protective layer helping to repel dirt, always an advantage. The black stuff from ebay (K2 Pro Bono - £5.95) is also good as it adds a bit of colour back; fine scratches etc.

#6 ·
Didn't take long to start fading. The streaks are the bit that makes a new coat a necessity (if you want to keep the bumps black). I will see how it goes as the Carplan is clearly best of these two. Does autoglym last well?

Attachments

#7 ·
Matressontheside said:
Didn't take long to start fading. The streaks are the bit that makes a new coat a necessity (if you want to keep the bumps black). I will see how it goes as the Carplan is clearly best of these two. Does autoglym last well?
Both are black? look like gray air bumps.
Try to use some STP sun of a gun (or even in hard cases a Meguiar's sealant that is also a non oxide product, but that's for a different time) and even after a wash the air bumps still shiny and not faded black.

#8 ·
Matressontheside said:
Does autoglym last well?
In simple terms yes, it's very much worth paying the extra. The sprays as demonstrated by one panel above are false economy.

Use the sprays you have to detail the front grill inserts and use AutoGlym trim bumper restore gel elsewhere on the plastics. Believe me you won't regret it.

The gel has an element of control - apply and leave for Matt finish, or buff to shine. Either way the protection outlasts any spray and doesn't leave the streaky marks on the paintwork as shown above.

Whilst the "wash with water only" guidance have good intentions, it is impractical certainly during winter when road salt and dirt gets ingrained into the panels and cause the panels to turn the white. The gel offers some protection against this and certainly offers a remedy for removal.

#9 ·
BristolRich said:
Matressontheside said:
Does autoglym last well?
In simple terms yes, it's very much worth paying the extra. The sprays as demonstrated by one panel above are false economy.

Use the sprays you have to detail the front grill inserts and use AutoGlym trim bumper restore gel elsewhere on the plastics. Believe me you won't regret it.

The gel has an element of control - apply and leave for Matt finish, or buff to shine. Either way the protection outlasts any spray and doesn't leave the streaky marks on the paintwork as shown above.

Whilst the "wash with water only" guidance have good intentions, it is impractical certainly during winter when road salt and dirt gets ingrained into the panels and cause the panels to turn the white. The gel offers some protection against this and certainly offers a remedy for removal.
I'll second that. :)

#11 ·
Last months! That's what I need...but that looks like a Volvo. Have you tried that out yourself? Great tip re spray for some areas BristolRich looks like I will save my crappy can leftovers for the grill & try autoglym. I will post the results especially if I get C4 at same time to compare. And they are definitely black. K

#12 ·
At £22...have you tried it as that looks like a Volvo? But I like the advice from Bristol Rich that I use the spray is for grills and will get some other products to try and see how long they last. Will let you know.

#16 ·
Here's a before and after...this is before and I have done nothing since last photo so the Carplan hasn't done as badly as I thought. The turtle wax one was as useful as Brad Pitt's wedding ring. See next post as then I washed the car....

Attachments

#17 ·
So I reapplied the Carplan but the rest of the bumps are Autoglym. Easy to apply as that's a cream not aerosol and was £7.20 odd. I think that will go a long way, which is good as the Carplan came out of a bargain bin in Wilkos and could be better value for money. The finish looks similar now but this trail is about how long the air bumps stay black as I don't really want to be treating them every clean. Will update...I bet you can't wait. Feel free to post your own tests.

Attachments

#21 ·
Vacuman - The Autoglym was £7.75 from B&Q. Next time I am in Wilcos (for those outside the UK it's a boutique shop, like Harrods, but with toilet bleach) I will see what the Carplan cost. As Cactus buyers, we are all discerning and cost conscious (otherwise we would have bought another Golf) and this thread is all about whether that is value for money. TIP - use sparingly, I think I have found that the discolouring "runs" are due to over application of the aerosols. BristolRich- I did complete the full interior/exterior valet once I had that picture. :lol: His tip, aerosols for grills, gel for bumps is a winner, so let's have more comparisons. Is STP a better alternative (half the cost of Autoglym, half as good?) and I don't think anyone has stumped up the £22 for the C4 product pictured above on a Volvo. If that does last for months, then that would be good to know. K

#23 ·
Intriguing...and I am all up for saving effort and cost... Perhaps with next wash I will just leave one "bump" as it is and see if the issue is actually caused by the products being removed through rain/spray etc. and that is why they look so dirty. Blactus, can you post a picture of your "natural" look? K

#24 ·
Matressontheside said:
Intriguing...and I am all up for saving effort and cost... Perhaps with next wash I will just leave one "bump" as it is and see if the issue is actually caused by the products being removed through rain/spray etc. and that is why they look so dirty. Blactus, can you post a picture of your "natural" look? K
No :)

It's the stage yours will be before you dress them, so no need to take a piccy.

Another point, if you're going to dress them, will you dress all the plastics? Including the panel across the boot? The car is covered in plastic. Life's too short.

#25 ·
Yep, I do the whole shebang...and that's the point to the thread, trying to find the best method...and leaving them as god/Citroen intended is going to be fine too, as long as they don't look odd compared to an otherwise clean/shinny car. Perhaps I just need to clean then more thoroughly...I will experiment and post the results. However, from the numbers reading these posts...there seems to be a need here.

#26 ·
...and here's a surprise...spot the difference between Autoglym and Carplan? Ideally I would have left it till a difference appeared but the car was "cleaned" during its service. It went through a carwash and no product was applied to the bumps, so I will see how "the natural" look goes for a while. So despite the wash, findings are that my problem was using that Turtle Wax product that didn't last. Autoglym n Car Plan look to last much better, but I will have to go again and test to find if one beats the other.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.