Wheels could not be removed

Faults and Technical chat for the Citroen C4 Cactus
Kevin

Wheels could not be removed

Post by Kevin » Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:13 pm

Today I took my Cact for its yearly service and the oil, oil filter, and air filter were changed.

Btw, it is its 2nd birthday and 2nd yearly service.

The mechanic asked me if I would like him to check the brakes and obviously I replied yes.

When we jacked it and removed the bolts the wheels would just not come off.. one after the other.. all 4 of them.

After hammering using a big hammer on the inside of the rim outwards (using a piece of wood not to damage the rims) we managed to remove them.

There was corrosion on all of them even though my car is garaged every night. We checked the brakes, greased them and put them back on.

I have the 17inch Diamond Cut Alloys.

Just imagine I had a puncture before today.. I would have never managed to remove the wheel..

Dear all.... kindly check yours.
Last edited by Kevin on Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Pure Tech 82, Manual, Shark Grey with Grey Airbumps.. Red Decal... Black Mirrors, 17" Diamond Cut Alloys, Rear Camera & Parking Sensors.

berapotter

Re: Wheels could not be removed

Post by berapotter » Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:21 pm

sorry mate but that's fairly standard when you mix steel and alloys.
baulk of timber and a sledgehammer is the only way to go.
might be worth a quick spray of WD-40 (other release agents are available) before reassembly so should be easier next time.
probably not what you want to hear!
Black Flair 110 s&s

Kevin

Post by Kevin » Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:40 pm

Spot on with what my mechanic told me re steel and alloys mixed together.

He used copper grease as a preventive measure so it will or might not happen again.. what do you think?

Don't mind hearing the truth mate.. and that's why I shared..
Pure Tech 82, Manual, Shark Grey with Grey Airbumps.. Red Decal... Black Mirrors, 17" Diamond Cut Alloys, Rear Camera & Parking Sensors.

Rubik

Post by Rubik » Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:49 pm

Yes, the application of copper grease is usually used to eliminate corrosion between different metals.

berapotter

Post by berapotter » Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:09 pm

That'll work as well!
Sometimes wonder if a sheet of cling film would work just as well!
Black Flair 110 s&s

geevo

Post by geevo » Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:23 am

I removed each of the wheels in turn when the car was new and smeared a little Vaseline over the face of the hubs. I have rotated the wheels twice now - the second time taking the opportunity to clean and paint the rear brake hubs with Hammerite as they were starting to go rusty.
Feel 110, Black on Black, Habana, Pan Roof, Privacy Glass, MediaNav, Reg July 2015

mrscactus

Post by mrscactus » Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:29 am

In the UK we put too much salt on the road in winter....this can have a major impact on the underbody and wheel wear on your car
I've now got a late 2015 Cactus; the 2014 one before that was in MUCH better condition
Now don't get me started ;) BUT if we had laws like the Germans whereby you got big fines if you had an accident in the snow and ice without winter tyres this country wouldn't have so much unnecessary salt.........and probably less sh!tty cars (in less sh!tholes) :lol:

davew

Post by davew » Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:15 am

mrscactus wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:29 am
In the UK we put too much salt on the road in winter....this can have a major impact on the underbody and wheel wear on your car
I've now got a late 2015 Cactus; the 2014 one before that was in MUCH better condition
Now don't get me started ;) BUT if we had laws like the Germans whereby you got big fines if you had an accident in the snow and ice without winter tyres this country wouldn't have so much unnecessary salt.........and probably less sh!tty cars (in less sh!tholes) :lol:
In my experience, winter tyres don't stop sliding and skidding on ice - which is why salt is put on the roads in the UK : to try and prevent freezing at night of any daytime thawing.
Whereas in severely cold countries the snow layer on the road stays as snow and then winter tyres can work very well.

paully

Post by paully » Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:34 pm

davew wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:15 am
mrscactus wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:29 am
In my experience, winter tyres don't stop sliding and skidding on ice - which is why salt is put on the roads in the UK : to try and prevent freezing at night of any daytime thawing.
Whereas in severely cold countries the snow layer on the road stays as snow and then winter tyres can work very well.

I agree, we put the correct level of salt down because of the need to prevent skidding. People have been killed because of ice on the road surface. A bit of rust etc is a small price to pay. Anyway if you have good breakdown cover, whoever attends, will one way or the other get the wheel changed :lol:
110 Flair in Pearlescent White, Leather interior with Black Bumps

Kevin

Post by Kevin » Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:35 pm

berapotter wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:09 pm
That'll work as well!
Sometimes wonder if a sheet of cling film would work just as well!
Hehe.. food for thought!!
And chances are that it will do the trick.

Return to “Faults & Technical”