Brake fluid change

Faults and Technical chat for the Citroen C4 Cactus
berapotter

Re: Brake fluid change

Post by berapotter » Tue Jun 20, 2017 3:55 pm

If your on a 3 year service plan it should be free at year 2.
Says so in the service book!
C4 Black Flair 145 s&s, C3 Aircross white Flair130 s&s. SLK350

The2ems

Post by The2ems » Tue Jun 20, 2017 3:59 pm

berapotter wrote:
Tue Jun 20, 2017 3:55 pm
If your on a 3 year service plan it should be free at year 2.
Says so in the service book!
I am on a service plan, but not with Citroen. Evans Halshaw failed to tell me there was an alternative when they sold me the plan. So I will have to get the documents out and check.
PureTec 82 manual, 2018, Flair, Shark Grey, Black air bumps

Muddles

Post by Muddles » Wed Jun 21, 2017 12:06 pm

I've been driving a bit longer than 49yrs not quite Model T Fords tho lol

I've had cars in the distant past for several years and never had the brake fluid changed. They all carried out perfect emergency stops when required. Like The2ems said, it wasn't something anyone did nor was it advised to do back then.

In fact I was only asked for the very first time, 3yrs ago when taking my prev car in for service if I wanted the brake fluid changed for £45, I said yes and the brakes were terrible afterwards, they obviously didn't check for air locks, and when I took it back they wanted another £50 to bleed them.
2015 1.2 Puretech 82 Feel - Obsidian Black with Black Bubblewrap - 16" Square Alloys

PurpleCactus

Post by PurpleCactus » Fri Mar 05, 2021 1:24 pm

davew wrote:
Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:03 am
On the other hand, if you've only been driving Rolls-Royces, or Bentleys, or Citroens with hydrolastic suspension...

Hydro-pneumatic! :D

My garage has just done the 2 year service on my purple Cactus and did not change the brake fluid. Since this is a common time for this to be changed, I am not sure why they missed this off the list.

I am going to have to have words with them ...
Cactus Feel 6 speed manual in Deep Purple + Cactus Flair 6 speed automatic in Emerald Blue

routemaster1

Post by routemaster1 » Fri Mar 05, 2021 3:29 pm

PurpleCactus wrote:
Fri Mar 05, 2021 1:24 pm
davew wrote:
Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:03 am
On the other hand, if you've only been driving Rolls-Royces, or Bentleys, or Citroens with hydrolastic suspension...

Hydro-pneumatic! :D

My garage has just done the 2 year service on my purple Cactus and did not change the brake fluid. Since this is a common time for this to be changed, I am not sure why they missed this off the list.

I am going to have to have words with them ...
As far as I know, this isn't on the service list. I've just had our C3 in for 2 year service. I was told that a brake fluid change and an aircon service were required as extras at 2 years. I think they are trying to upsell to meet targets.

PurpleCactus

Post by PurpleCactus » Sat Mar 06, 2021 6:41 pm

I went to see them yesterday. He looked worried when I asked if I could have a word!

He downloaded a schedule and it stated brake fluid change at 24000 miles or 24 months, whichever is soonest. For me, it's 24 months. The problem is that the log book is a generic one, not like they used to be with all the requirements printed for easy reference. There are just places for the stamp, the date, the mileage and a tick box for normal or extreme conditions.

He also said that he's know of cars over 30 years old that still have the original fluid, but that's another matter.
Cactus Feel 6 speed manual in Deep Purple + Cactus Flair 6 speed automatic in Emerald Blue

CactiBhoy

Post by CactiBhoy » Thu Mar 11, 2021 10:04 pm

Changing the fluid is up to personal preference, I normally only change the fluid if I have a leak (most modern cars/small vans only have one master cylinder), brake circuit at the bottom clutch circuit at the top, so a leak in either the brake or clutch circuit would have you replacing all the fluid in the hydraulic systems?
They are sealed, so if you open the cap air gets in, so when they refill it with new fluid the garage let's air inside the system. So you can not win, as it may cause either circuit to corrode from the inside. Only excessive brake and manual gearbox use would cause much grief.
(if you raced or rallied it)
In normal use you would not have to replace it for at least five years. Only because it is hygroscopic, so go off and lose its efficency. Or it springs a leak.
`" `In order to win once, you have got to get used to losing a whole lot of times. That's why I no longer buy Fiats, or anything with a French wiring loom now.`" :evil:

routemaster1

Post by routemaster1 » Thu Mar 11, 2021 10:08 pm

CactiBhoy wrote:
Thu Mar 11, 2021 10:04 pm
Changing the fluid is up to personal preference, I normally only change the fluid if I have a leak (most modern cars/small vans only have one master cylinder), brake circuit at the bottom clutch circuit at the top, so a leak in either the brake or clutch circuit would have you replacing all the fluid in the hydraulic systems?
They are sealed, so if you open the cap air gets in, so when they refill it with new fluid the garage let's air inside the system. So you can not win, as it may cause either circuit to corrode from the inside. Only excessive brake and manual gearbox use would cause much grief.
(if you raced or rallied it)
In normal use you would not have to replace it for at least five years. Only because it is hygroscopic, so go off and lose its efficency. Or it springs a leak.
Just one point. Brakes are dual circuit, so there will be 3 separate pistons in the cylinder.

CactiBhoy

Post by CactiBhoy » Thu Mar 11, 2021 10:23 pm

One piston on each front caliper, two pistons on each back drum cylinder, or one piston a side with rear disc brakes. Dual circuit means you have either front brakes or rear brakes, or all brakes in the other system. Or death if one whole side fails in use. And your emergency brake if you pump all the fluid out and no clutch. That's why the dual supply type (The Cactuses one :oops:) master cylinder has the clutch supply pipe at the top and the brake supply pipe at the bottom. Then it's distributed to the antilock and dual system. :twisted:
`" `In order to win once, you have got to get used to losing a whole lot of times. That's why I no longer buy Fiats, or anything with a French wiring loom now.`" :evil: