Steering wheel not straight when driving straight

Faults and Technical chat for the Citroen C4 Cactus
sjhaycroft

Re: Steering wheel not straight when driving straight

Post by sjhaycroft » Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:03 am

My car is experiencing this problem, steering bearing to the left but only up until around 40mph. I had the hunter 4 wheel alignment done at Kwik Fit a few months ago but that didn't sort the problem. Is the wheel calibration done from under the steering wheel a warranty fix?

sjhaycroft

Post by sjhaycroft » Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:38 pm

To add. I was at a tyre garage last night who swapped my two front wheels and car is still pulling. Been round the car today and checked all the tyre myself. 3 of them are the factory fitted efficient grips 205 50r 17 89v and the passenger back left is 205 50r 17 93w. Is this most likely cause of the car pulling left? All tyres are at 33 psi.

davew

Post by davew » Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:52 pm

sjhaycroft wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:38 pm
To add. I was at a tyre garage last night who swapped my two front wheels and car is still pulling. Been round the car today and checked all the tyre myself. 3 of them are the factory fitted efficient grips 205 50r 17 89v and the passenger back left is 205 50r 17 93w. Is this most likely cause of the car pulling left? All tyres are at 33 psi.
My understanding is that the 93W tyre is rated at a higher speed/load and will be heavier and possibly have stiffer walls.
I think until you swap over the two rear tyres you won't be sure if this is the cause...

sjhaycroft

Post by sjhaycroft » Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:39 pm

Rear two swapped over tonight and now pulling to the other side. At least the problem has been identified. Will be getting that odd tyre changed this weekend. A shame really as its not exactly a cheap tyre (Hankook) and pretty much has full treads but lesson learnt at least.

davew

Post by davew » Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:03 pm

sjhaycroft wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:39 pm
Rear two swapped over tonight and now pulling to the other side. At least the problem has been identified. Will be getting that odd tyre changed this weekend. A shame really as its not exactly a cheap tyre (Hankook) and pretty much has full treads but lesson learnt at least.
Thanks for that useful information.

Jukebox

Post by Jukebox » Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:14 am

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=1769#p14350

I reported the same problem in the above post. It seems we have both come to the same conclusion in that the Cactus doesn't like different tyres on the same axle. The difference in the sidewall stiffness being the common factor.
Flair 1.2(82) white n' black 17"alloys

sjhaycroft

Post by sjhaycroft » Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:41 am

Hey jukebox. I've just read that post you posted. So when you had that tyre replaced with the efficient grip performance was it exactly the same as the others i.e 205 50 R 17 89v? I ask as I'm looking to get the efficient grip performance to replace this hankook one but the other 3 goodyears are the old factory fitted efficient grips.

Jukebox

Post by Jukebox » Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:59 am

The new tyre had the same spec as the other three it just happened to be the revised design. You're in a tricky spot, l would be wary about putting a new "efficient grip performance" on the same axle with an original "efficient grip" on the other side.
I've just had two original EGs put on the front for an MoT so they are still out there - see if you can track one down.
Hope you get sorted!

sjhaycroft

Post by sjhaycroft » Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:17 am

Hmm my dilemma here is that I need that rear hankook changing, there's nothing wrong with the tyre it's just a different speed rating and load. The efficient grip on the other side at the back is perfectly fine. My front two need changing soon. So should I get a standard efficient grip to replace the hankook at the back and get two efficient grip performances for the front? That way each axle has the exact same tyres on both sides. That should sort the pulling I'm guessing.

Jukebox

Post by Jukebox » Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:30 am

Yeh you need to pair up the tyres on each axle. I'm currently running two efficient grips on the front and two efficient grip performance on the back and the car tracks fines.
If you look at my old posting you'll see I repkaced a prefectly good EG, well I still have it in my garage and if you're near Newcastle you can have it for "nowt" if you like.