Shuddering/Loss of Power

Faults and Technical chat for the Citroen C4 Cactus
curriemaster

Shuddering/Loss of Power

Post by curriemaster » Sun Nov 20, 2016 8:31 pm

Evening,

I am a long time lurker after buying a Flair 110 Petrol in November 2015, and been very appreciative of the helpful tips from this friendly community. I have been thoroughly enjoying my Cactus since then without any problems at all (apart from needing to replace the wipers!).

However tonight I was accelerating fairly hard from a 40mph zone to 70mph and the car wasn't having it: it shuddered a few times and there was a distinct loss of power. My wife was in the car and said that had started happening to her fairly recently but occurred quite regularly. It feels like the turbo is struggling to add any boost or that the engine is being throttled in some way; its difficult to describe. The car otherwise functions completely normally.

I found a post here that seems similar (viewtopic.php?f=11&t=1103) but there seemed to be no resolution, and most folk were referring to their diesel car. Has anyone else experienced this in the petrol 110, or have any theories as to whats going on? It was just serviced about a month ago with an oil and oil filter change, could it be something to do with that given that the oil cools the turbo?

Thanks again for all the helpful info!

Kevin

Re: Shuddering/Loss of Power

Post by Kevin » Sun Nov 20, 2016 10:11 pm

Hi There,

Even before I got to the 2nd paragraph where you mentioned the turbo I had the same in mind.. Some sort of turbo fault. But today cars have so many electronics and sensors it could be something to do with that as well.

Is the fault intermittent, or every time you accelerate hard?
Pure Tech 82, Manual, Shark Grey with Grey Airbumps.. Red Decal... Black Mirrors, 17" Diamond Cut Alloys, Rear Camera & Parking Sensors.

JohnYoung

Post by JohnYoung » Sun Nov 20, 2016 11:07 pm

The post you linked to was my post and we had the loss of power a couple of times that I recall. Once on a hill and another on the motorway within a few weeks of each other but nothing since - its never happened again and I just put it down to dirt being pulled through

curriemaster

Post by curriemaster » Mon Nov 21, 2016 9:24 am

Good morning,

Thanks for the replies. It does seem to be intermittent, I have only ever experienced it once but my wife says it happens once almost every time she drives it to work (100 mile round trip). I did some hard accelerations this morning and boost seemed normal so I might just keep an eye on it and book it in to the garage if it keeps happening. Ill let you know if anything changes!

jono

Post by jono » Tue Nov 22, 2016 10:32 pm

Hi there,

I've also experienced this juddering a couple of times in my 110 petrol, once today and twice in quick succession when on holiday in France in the summer. Both times I was accelerating quite hard on boost up a slip road in 2nd or 3rd gear. When this happened in the summer I actually put it down to having hit the rev limiter by accident due being distracted by the unfamiliar driving conditions and not changing gear soon enough. The lack of rev counter combined with the free-revving nature of this engine makes it quite hard to know where you are in the rev range at times. However today I couldn't have been doing more than 40 mph in 3rd gear when it suddenly shuddered and lost power so I'm now wondering if it's something more complex.
2015 Cactus 110 Flair in Blue Lagoon with black leather interior

JohnYoung

Post by JohnYoung » Tue Nov 22, 2016 10:49 pm

Its a strange one and yes on one of the times I was pushing it quite hard (not flogging it) up a steep hill. Maybe its some kind of limiter but then again the other times I was not pushing it to hard at all.

I do wish the had put a rev-counter in though

davew

Post by davew » Wed Nov 23, 2016 2:57 pm

I would try using non-supermarket fuel of a higher octane rating than most supermarkets sell . If that gives no improvement, have the ignition system checked for weak sparking and and/or try another set of spark plugs.

MadMax

Post by MadMax » Wed Apr 19, 2017 2:24 pm

Hi

Sorry to start up an old thread, Did you ever find the Solution?

I'm in South Africa with the same issue!

I had a Similar Problem with my previous Ds3 1.6THP, That ended up being carbon build up on the Valves due to our Bad Fuel.

I explained this to the dealer but it seamed to fall on deaf ears and they did a Flash of Car Computer a month back, But its still has the same issue, its going in for a service next week and to try find the problem.

:)

BristolRich

Post by BristolRich » Wed Apr 19, 2017 4:08 pm

Sounds like a split or leaking boost hose which is only leaking on full boost or high pressure conditions.

A split might not visually be imedietly obvious unless the hose is under pressure.
Ex - 2014 Hello Yellow Citroën C4 Cactus Hatchback 1.6 BlueHDi 100 Feel Edition

davew

Post by davew » Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:25 pm

MadMax wrote:
Wed Apr 19, 2017 2:24 pm
Hi

Sorry to start up an old thread, Did you ever find the Solution?

I'm in South Africa with the same issue!

I had a Similar Problem with my previous Ds3 1.6THP, That ended up being carbon build up on the Valves due to our Bad Fuel.

I explained this to the dealer but it seamed to fall on deaf ears and they did a Flash of Car Computer a month back, But its still has the same issue, its going in for a service next week and to try find the problem.

:)

Try this similar thread...
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=2477