Shuddering/Loss of Power

Faults and Technical chat for the Citroen C4 Cactus
sjhaycroft

Re: Shuddering/Loss of Power

Post by sjhaycroft » Mon Mar 26, 2018 6:38 pm

Curriemaster, I'm one of the others experiencing this same issue however it is rather intermittent. It happened in 3rd on the way home from work tonight and a good few weeks again in 3rd. I'm guessing you use high octane fuel like myself? I've tried v power and costco 99 and both have not caused the issue to go away. After a bit of reading around on the internet I'm now thinking that using 99 ron fuel may just be the cause of the intermittent misfire. From what I read the higher the ron number the less volatile the fuel mixture is and is designed for engines with a higher compression ratio. The past few timws my car had misfired, I'm thinking I've gone into 3rd too quick and put my foot down and maybe just maybe the fuel I'm using isn't igniting fast enough. Anyways I have 90 miles left in the tank and on my next fill up I'm going to use 95 ron as I'm sure in the manual it states 95-98. I'm doing a long drive to the lake district this weekend so will post in here when I'm back.

Cactusboy

Post by Cactusboy » Sat Jul 07, 2018 1:23 pm

I've bought a brand new Cactus Flair automatic 2 weeks ago and I've had that shuddering too. Acceleration moderately the box will change say for 2nd to 3rd and instead of going faster it starts acting like it's running out of fuel, but within a second or two it's back to normal, it's done it coming off my drive too!!!

davew

Post by davew » Sat Jul 07, 2018 6:00 pm

Most of the reports of shuddering / power loss seem to be for the 110 petrol engine, so your report would be slightly more informative if you would tell us about the engine in your vehicle...

Cactusboy

Post by Cactusboy » Sat Jul 07, 2018 6:48 pm

My engine is the 110bhp model and has done 450 miles. The issue has happened about 5 times since I've had it

Maybe significant in that it only happens immediately after changing gear, 3rd to 4th to 5th etc and once from standstill, I put it into drive ie 1st gear after reversing off my drive then it started spluttering momentarily before returning to normal...
Last edited by Cactusboy on Sat Jul 07, 2018 7:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Cactusboy

Post by Cactusboy » Sat Jul 07, 2018 6:55 pm

Probably not connected in the slightest but the auto box is less smooth changing in the short time I've had it and easily gets caught out at slower speeds and becomes jerky. Also changing from say 4th to 3rd etc produces a slight nodding dog effect and that's me the driver. EAT6.

davew

Post by davew » Sat Jul 07, 2018 7:18 pm

Cactusboy wrote:
Sat Jul 07, 2018 6:48 pm

Maybe significant in that it only happens immediately after changing gear, 3rd to 4th to 5th etc and once from standstill, I put it into drive ie 1st gear after reversing off my drive then it started spluttering momentarily before returning to normal...
I agree the apparent correlation of gear change/ power loss does seem relevant in your case...
I wonder if the effect occurs if you take control of the gear shifting , with manual paddles, which I assume you have.

sjhaycroft

Post by sjhaycroft » Sat Jul 07, 2018 7:21 pm

I'm one of the ones with this problem (still ongoing). Does it happen when you accelerate gradually or only when you put your foot down?

Cactusboy

Post by Cactusboy » Sat Jul 07, 2018 8:22 pm

There aren't any paddles you can change manually using the gear lever

It's happening at low revs, as it's new I've not pushed it much but when I've done so there weren't any issues

Has anyone had this problem with the manual gearbox?

davew

Post by davew » Sat Jul 07, 2018 9:06 pm

Cactusboy wrote:
Sat Jul 07, 2018 8:22 pm

It's happening at low revs, as it's new I've not pushed it much but when I've done so there weren't any issues
In your case it might just be characteristic of the vehicle - see these short extracts of recent online reviews of 2018 Cactus with EAT6 :

What car review
"Thankfully, the automatic ’box available with the Puretech 110 engine is for the most part fairly smooth, but will occasionally jerk when
shifting into a higher gear when you’re off the accelerator. It can also be very slow to change gear, although the manual mode is fairly responsive."

Autoexpress review
"Refinement is decent, too, despite the occasional shudder still being evident when you catch the gearbox unaware at low speed."

These comments seem to be similar to your experience...

However, you might be interested in reading a thread about similar issues with the older ETG gearbox and a suggested method of "resetting" its operation
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2715&p=18307

Cactusboy

Post by Cactusboy » Sun Jul 08, 2018 5:05 pm

davew wrote:
Sat Jul 07, 2018 9:06 pm
Cactusboy wrote:
Sat Jul 07, 2018 8:22 pm

In your case it might just be characteristic of the vehicle - see these short extracts of recent online reviews of 2018 Cactus with EAT6 :

What car review
"Thankfully, the automatic ’box available with the Puretech 110 engine is for the most part fairly smooth, but will occasionally jerk when
shifting into a higher gear when you’re off the accelerator. It can also be very slow to change gear, although the manual mode is fairly responsive."

Autoexpress review
"Refinement is decent, too, despite the occasional shudder still being evident when you catch the gearbox unaware at low speed."

These comments seem to be similar to your experience...

However, you might be interested in reading a thread about similar issues with the older ETG gearbox and a suggested method of "resetting" its operation
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2715&p=18307
Thanks for the info. As it's a conventional torque converter box I'm assuming it has little in common with the automated manual.

My main issue is the occasional cutting out, yes it's irritating and totally random and could cause you to lose power at a critical moment BUT as those with "stop/start" will know when it cuts out the power steering does too!!!!

Return to “Faults & Technical”