Shuddering/Loss of Power

Faults and Technical chat for the Citroen C4 Cactus
curriemaster

Re: Shuddering/Loss of Power

Post by curriemaster » Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:29 pm

Quick update: had it in to the first garage and they couldn't find anything wrong, but admitted that their citroen technician wasn't maybe as experienced as required to diagnose. The fault kept occurring so I put it in to another garage with a citroen "master tech", they decided it was related to spark plugs and/or a software TSB and should now be fixed.

I got 15 mins drive away and it shuddered massively, engine warning lights came on and the car limped to a stop. I'm currently stranded in a lay by on an A road waiting for the garage to come pick me up, though I would use this time industriously! I'll update the saga when I know more...

curriemaster

Post by curriemaster » Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:20 pm

Got picked up and given a courtesy car, good service from Arnold Clark. The fault code coming out of the system was P1339 94 (from memory), which was an engine misfire which can affect the catalytic converter apparently. According to the tech the car switched in to a safety mode when it happened, after a little while he was able to drive it away again, we shall see what comes back.

In the meantime I'll be winging around in a grey C3, which is alright actually.

davew

Post by davew » Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:27 pm

curriemaster wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:20 pm
Got picked up and given a courtesy car, good service from Arnold Clark. The fault code coming out of the system was P1339 94 (from memory), which was an engine misfire which can affect the catalytic converter apparently. According to the tech the car switched in to a safety mode when it happened, after a little while he was able to drive it away again, we shall see what comes back.

In the meantime I'll be winging around in a grey C3, which is alright actually.
I'm curious to know if the engine appeared to be running ok when the tech drove the car away after its rest.
And btw, roughly what mileage has the car covered?

curriemaster

Post by curriemaster » Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:07 pm

It looked like it pulled away from the lay by without a problem, so perhaps it recovered after a few minutes. Certainly when I pulled over it was not able to power itself very effectively.

It's done 26k miles now and had a service and change of spark plugs earlier today.

thomwilkinson

Post by thomwilkinson » Wed Sep 27, 2017 3:58 pm

I've had a very similar sounding problem that I've noticed only in the last few weeks. I have a 1.2 petrol 110. My usual commute is within 20-30-40 zones so I don't usually notice the issue however whenever I take it onto dual carriage way or motorway especially when pulling on from slip road or attempting 40-60/70 mph it hits the same limit that others have described. Feels like the turbo gives up after too long at full boost? I'm not especially technically minded but that is what it feels like. If it continues to happen I shall be taking it to the dealership for a check up. 2016 reg with 20k miles, last serviced just before I bought in April 2017

curriemaster

Post by curriemaster » Fri Sep 29, 2017 6:42 pm

Hi Thom, that does sound like it could be the same issue unfortunately.

I just spoke with the garage and they said it appears to be fixed based on consultation with Citroen in France and road tests they have been doing, Im going to pick it up on Monday. They weren't too specific about what they had done to it (drained and replaced the fuel seemed to be the reason - although that makes little sense to me), so hopefully I will find out more on Monday and report back.

sjhaycroft

Post by sjhaycroft » Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:32 am

Hi curriemaster

What did the garage say? I've had this problem. Not happened for a few months and today it happened twice whilst on the motorway.

davew

Post by davew » Tue Oct 03, 2017 6:06 pm

curriemaster wrote:
Fri Sep 29, 2017 6:42 pm
They weren't too specific about what they had done to it (drained and replaced the fuel seemed to be the reason - although that makes little sense to me), so hopefully I will find out more on Monday and report back.
From what I understand, modern petrol contains a certain amount of ethanol (deliberately added) - apparently in the UK the amount is currently limited to 10%.
Also, I understand that ethanol readily absorbs water from the atmosphere, more so than petroleum .
So it is possible that those occasions of misfiring are associated with the water content in the fuel currently in the tank.

So maybe this was the idea behind the garage draining and replacing your fuel...

curriemaster

Post by curriemaster » Mon Oct 09, 2017 3:18 pm

Hi all,

The garage gave me the car back after replacing the fuel, thanks Davew for the suggestion as to why that was a solution. Unfortunately the car is still shuddering as the wife reported it the day after pickup. I just dropped it off at the garage again today and they are keeping it for a week with the technician using it to commute from home to work to try and learn how to replicate the fault most effectively. Im hoping that it will be solved this time, but there is no clear

As an aside I got a new C3 with airbumps and Android Auto as a courtesy car in the meantime, seems pretty nice.

I'll let you know if/when I get more info.

curriemaster

Post by curriemaster » Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:31 pm

I picked up my car again today with no work done to it.

They cant get the shuddering fault to repeat during test drives and therefore have no recommendations for diagnosis and therefore can't proceed with repair under warranty. I phoned Citroen customer care and the initial phone conversation seemed very helpful, they phoned back yesterday just with the advice "if it happens again give us a call". Of course, it will certainly happen again as nothing was done to the car to remedy the fault. This is very frustrating.

My plan now is to try some self-diagnosis: I have bought a bluetooth ODB2 dongle that I will use in conjunction with the Torque app on my phone to try and capture the engine state during a fault. It seems like there is a pretty large amount of data that can be read out during driving, including RPM, air pressures and temperatures, coolant pressures and temperatures, turbo pressure (maybe - seems like that might be only for VW group cars), etc. It looks like you can also record the data using Torque so I guess Ill have to spend a day getting that all together and then going out on a ripping drive to make it happen.

Dongle arrives tomorrow so perhaps even this weekend I could have something to show Citroen. Wish me luck...