Citroen C4 Cactus Crossover Forum banner

Headlight loose in housing

13K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  xireland 
#1 ·
Unsure how this has happened but my headlight has become detached from where it should be sitting, I can see no obvious signs of collision or vandalism, also cannot get the light to sit in place securely, anyone else experienced this? Regards

#6 ·
Did anyone get a solution to this ?. I have noticed that mine has suddenly developed this same fault . The N/S unit has become loose, whilst the other side is solid. I have spoken to the dealer who after some fobbing off (attempt thereto) are looking at it tomorrow afternoon. Amazingly they say they have never had such a problem ever reported to them on the Cactus...hmm..and they don`t think its a warranty claim. That is before they even get someone, who knows about cars, to even have a look at it. I`ll keep you posted but I expect a lively afternoon, probably involving management.

#7 ·
Now there's a thing.
I noticed my nearside light unit had retreated into the airbump bit.
Was in for year2 service last week, spoke to dealer so they had a look, Said yes it had gone in but more likely that plastic bit had moved out, possibly due to some low speed pressure to one side of plastic. That might explain why my DRL's on near side were a bit out of line, some plonker has hit my car while in France. I first noticed it on holiday
Down side to having soft bumpy bits on your car?

Just want to say superb service from W R Davies of Stafford.

#9 ·
didn't ask to be honest!
however having had a look at it I suspect a piece of flat steel inserted between the plastic and lens, I say that only because I think there may be a couple of light scratches on the plastic. Still looks better than before.
they said there was no damage to the light mounting points.
best I can do to help I'm afraid.

#10 ·
Well both the dealer and subsequently a bodyshop have examined it and both confirm quite substantial accident damage. Although there is no obvious external marks, dents, damage etc. The tell tale signs are paint `stretch marks` across the plastic front panel of the car, and very hard to see unless you know what you are looking for. Apparantly, most cars these days, the Cactus being no exception, are made from thin plastics across the front that spring back and forth with impacts where the damage is internal and not easily seen.

The cost of repairing this is going to be well into 4 figures. The repair as described by Berapotter is available to me as well, but the paint blemishes, will according to the bodyshop start peeling the paint off in a couple of months, needing a £200 respray, if I go down that road.

Shame as I really loved the Cactus but it seems it isnt even as strong as Lego. As to where the damage occurred, I have no idea. It was apparantly, such a simple shunt, it could have been anywhere.

Update: a short time after posting, got a call from the excellent Perrys of Barnsley asking for the car to go in today, they had arranged for it to be repaired then undergo an exam by the MoT tester for strength, lights etc, before release and had a loan C3 ready and waiting and all at a very reasonable cost. Still got to see where the paint issue takes me, but a lot more settled now..These things come as a shock!!

#11 ·
Hi
Have just had a bump in my daughter's Cactus, in that someone reversed into the offside front.

This pushed the headlight back into the wing. When I got home I pushed it back, but it was loose. A bit of plastic fell out. I have got a part breakdown from a dealer and I understand that the unit is secured by two lugs-one either side. They can be bought as a repair kit-at £39.80 which is rather a lot of money but much less than the full unit.

I imagine that the two lugs are sacrificial-in that they break rather than having the complete unit ruined. I cannot comment on how easy any replacement process would be as I haven't started it. But looking at the diagram it does not look too complicated. Product Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Font Automotive design

The two lugs are parts B and C-(Part 7 is the two part kit.)

hope this is of some use
John

Attachments

#12 ·
Thanks for this John!

My headlight also came loose - no Idea how it happened - I suspect the Citroen garage did it when they were repairing some trim that had sprung loose.

Anyway, they rang me today and said they wouldn't repair it under warranty and it would involve the replacement of the entire unit - £420!

No mention of 'lug repair kits' at £40 - according to them it's a moulded unit and the mounting is integrated into the housing.

Amazing though how many headlights are available on ebay with the exact same mounting broken.

But..... I'm having real problems finding this 'lug repair kit' - Cactus 2016, passenger side lamp - marked L 9800901580 - Valeo.

Any help/advice greatly appreciated.

Jane

#13 ·
Hi guys
after a bumped with another car
i have the same issue the whole unit is too loose and i thing is broken the one bracket on the right side
its the passenger headlight.
Do i have to remove the whole bumper in order to replaced - fixed?
or can be removed without big mess ?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.