New doors

Faults and Technical chat for the Citroen C4 Cactus
Softrider

Re: New doors

Post by Softrider » Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:48 pm

We bought our Cactus new in mid-August 2014 (it's built July 14, 2014). Now it's in front of its fourth Scandinavian winter with snow, ice and huge amounts of brine. The car has so far driven approx. 85K kilometers (53K miles). I have checked the car for rust at a professional workshop and apart from surface rust on some parts under the car it is without rust. Given what someone is telling about their cars in this thread, I think that the routine quality control at the Madrid factory in Spain may not be the best.
Citroën C4 Cactus BlueHDi 100 (since August 2014)
History: 2002 Citroën C5 2.0 HDi with Hydractive 3

BristolRich

Post by BristolRich » Wed Sep 20, 2017 1:50 pm

I'm not sure it's a build quality issue, more inherent design fault.

By folding over the panels and welding them closed you will naturally create a sealed box. Without any adaquate ventilation moisture will build up from the continuous heating and cooling through day and night and essentially cause rust to form from inside out.
Ex - 2014 Hello Yellow Citroën C4 Cactus Hatchback 1.6 BlueHDi 100 Feel Edition

Softrider

Post by Softrider » Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:23 pm

Of course, that is also a plausible explanation. On our earlier 2003 BMW 318d Touring, there were rust bubbles at the bottom of the doors already after 3 years. The problem was that the primer between the steel sheets and the paint attracted moisture and the doors began to rust from within. We got new doors on the warranty and had the car for 10 years (total of about 340K kilometers or about 210K miles). In the 2000's, German premium car manufacturers had major problems with rust on several of their models. However, French car manufacturers did quite well when it came to rust at this time.
Citroën C4 Cactus BlueHDi 100 (since August 2014)
History: 2002 Citroën C5 2.0 HDi with Hydractive 3

Poacher

Post by Poacher » Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:53 pm

OrganPipe wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:22 am
Poacher wrote:
Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:33 pm
The protection I mentioned is purely applying a protective layer of wax over all the seals. Trouble is if the corrosion has already started under the paint it will not do any good so will just have to keep an eye on it. Some pics of my corrosion. The worst one is actually the drivers door

Passenger door

Drivers door
Hi Poacher, No pictures showing just a advert asking you to update to allow photos to be shown...
Yes I re submitted them on page 3 of this post OrganPipe
Wilds of Lincolnshire ........... Deep purple 1.6 HDI blue 100 Feel

Return to “Faults & Technical”