Wipers And Screen Wash Blockage?

Faults and Technical chat for the Citroen C4 Cactus
Muddles

Wipers And Screen Wash Blockage?

Post by Muddles » Fri Aug 04, 2017 11:08 pm

I've noticed one of my wipers when I press the stalk for the screen wash the fluid only comes out of the wiper about 4"-6" inches up the wiper from the bottom where the pipe joins the wiper.

I've cleaned the wiper blade but it hasn't helped. Anyone got any idea how I can clear it if it's a blockage, or tell me what's causing it? Thanks
2015 1.2 Puretech 82 Feel - Obsidian Black with Black Bubblewrap - 16" Square Alloys

berapotter

Re: Wipers And Screen Wash Blockage?

Post by berapotter » Sat Aug 05, 2017 7:47 pm

Is that when stationary or moving.
Silly question I know and have you changed the blades from new?
C4 Black Flair 145 s&s, C3 Aircross white Flair130 s&s. SLK350

Muddles

Post by Muddles » Sun Aug 06, 2017 7:10 am

Hi

It's both when stationary and moving. I've only had this car about a month, I'm it's second owner. But due to the weather only needed to use the washers a few times, so only just noticed. I don't know if they are the original blades or not.
2015 1.2 Puretech 82 Feel - Obsidian Black with Black Bubblewrap - 16" Square Alloys

Muddles

Post by Muddles » Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:46 am

Been playing around with this and it seems worse when parked.

Anyone got any ideas?

Rubik

Post by Rubik » Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:37 am

Please if possible, can you post a photo of the wiper(s).

Cactus wiper blades are a bit different having the squirters included in the wiper blades. My washer motors hum first before
releasing the water along the blade. When the blade(s) start their journey, the water releases.

Like everything with Citroen, complicated, quite efficient and possibly expensive.

I was wondering if the whole washer system could be modified so more conventional blades could be fitted. :?:

Softrider

Post by Softrider » Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:37 am

The screen wash system on Cactus is actually quite smart and you use a lot less washer fluid than in most other cars. The liquid comes out at the bottom of the wiper blade where the hose is attached. When the wiper blade moves, the liquid is pushed upwards on the wiper blade. The wind while driving helps spread the liquid over the screen where the wiper blades reach out. Therefore, when the car is stationary, it may be necessary to use some extra washer fluid. Immediately it appears that the liquid only reaches the center of the wiper blade (4"-6" inches up the wiper blade), but with a little more liquid it will come across the screen (or in the area where the wiper blades reach).

However, there are a few weaknesses with the system, and especially the rubber hose and how it is attached to the wiper blade. Over time, the hose expands (due to wear, heat, sun, cold, ice, etc.) and loses attachment to the wiper blade. My Cactus is three years old and I have experienced this. The solution is to cut 2-3 mm of the hose and attach it to the wiper blade again.

As usual with original Citroën parts, both the special wiper blades and rubber hoses are quite expensive. The rubber hose is only sold with the entire wiper arm and that makes it ridiculously expensive. However, it should not be a problem to buy a similar rubber hose elsewhere. I'm unsure whether you can buy unoriginal wiper blades that can be used on Cactus.
2017 Citroën C4 Picasso BlueHDi 120
History: 2002 Citroën C5 2.0 HDi, 2014 Citroën C4 Cactus BlueHDi 100

PurpleCactus

Post by PurpleCactus » Sat Oct 17, 2020 10:19 am

I've got the same problem as Muddles first reported.

The washer fluid isn't coming out with enough pressure. I pulled the tubes off and they aren't blocked, I blew through the nozzles and they seem clear. But when reattached only a dribble comes through. And nothing to the rear wiper again, but that's more difficult to clear out.

I was thinking that it may be residue from the washer fluid, as the garage used a block. I have been assured that they dissolve completely, but the first time this happened the system was blown through and lots of white powder came out.

Any ideas, or preferably solutions?!
Cactus Feel Puretech 110 S&S 6 speed manual in Deep Purple