C4 vs C3 Aircross Petrol Stats..

Faults and Technical chat for the Citroen C4 Cactus
Kevin

C4 vs C3 Aircross Petrol Stats..

Post by Kevin » Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:05 am

I am a proud owner of a C4 Cact petrol 82bhp.

A good friend of mine is looking around for a new car, and he is interested in the C3 Aircross petrol version. Obviously when you are buying a new car you look into their claimed stats, MPG, CO2 and so on.

I am happy with the overall MPG of my Cactus, but looking into the figures of the C4 and C3 Aircross even with the same engine (82bhp) the Cactus has better figures. Less CO2 and more MPG... and quite a considerable difference.

Aircross 82bhp
Co2: 116 g/km
MPG: 55

Cactus 82bhp
Co2: 105g/km
MPG: 61

So what is the reason... I am thinking that it is because the Aircross is a 100kg more heavier then the Cactus. Am I right??

To end this I feel lucky that I have the Cactus, a difference of 2 or 3 MPG will greatly effect my wallet at the end of the year.
Nice Day to All,
:D :D :D
Pure Tech 82, Manual, Shark Grey with Grey Airbumps.. Red Decal... Black Mirrors, 17" Diamond Cut Alloys, Rear Camera & Parking Sensors.

paully

Re: C4 vs C3 Aircross Petrol Stats..

Post by paully » Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:51 am

Power to weight ratio is certainly one thing, but it might also be that the Aircross is as aerodynamic as a brick compared to the Cactus. We had a good look at one this week and neither me nor the wife were impressed with it. We didn`t have a drive and that may have changed our views, but we both preferred the Cactus. Certainly liked the ordinary C3 though and would certainly consider one if changing
110 Flair in Pearlescent White, Leather interior with Black Bumps

sjhaycroft

Post by sjhaycroft » Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:22 am

Get your friend to have a look at the new Cactus model. Now that looks great. And I'm faily sure that it comes in a 130bhp model too :D

Moro

Post by Moro » Thu Jan 25, 2018 2:54 pm

Are the figures representative and comparative? I think car manufacturers are re-assessing now and issuing new figures that are more realistic as the testing requirements have changed. Are the New Cactus figures out yet? I have seen other manufacturers changing their “official” figures downwards recently.

However, I do not dispute weight as being important...
Flair 110S&S Arctic Silver / Grey Airbumps : Habana : Panoramic Roof : Spare Wheel

Kevin

Post by Kevin » Thu Jan 25, 2018 6:45 pm

Oh I did not know that manufacturers are re-assessing the figures of their cars. At last :roll:

Yes the aerodynamics can be another factor.

He is also seeing other cars like the Suzuki Vitara, Hyundai Kona, and so on.
Pure Tech 82, Manual, Shark Grey with Grey Airbumps.. Red Decal... Black Mirrors, 17" Diamond Cut Alloys, Rear Camera & Parking Sensors.

Ciaran1602

Post by Ciaran1602 » Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:56 pm

What I would say, having had a poke around the C3 Aircross while my car was having a check up, is the general shape is infinitely more practical. The boot is lower, the light cluster doesn't eat into the boot aperture and the headroom is much better. Personally I actually prefer the interior on the C3 Aircross but it is considerably heavier and less aerodynamic which will undoubtedly have an impact on economy.

As I understand it, it's noticeably slower than the C4 Cactus engine for engine. So much so the 82hp version of the Aircross looks, on paper, positively glacial.

It's the sort of car where the weight would probably encourage me more toward the BlueHDI 120 than the Puretech 130. I do love my turbo Cactus though.

I really like the Aircross. I'm hoping its still around in a year or twos time as it's the one I really like.

davew

Post by davew » Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:25 am

From the UK Vehicle Type Approval authority web site ( http://www.dft.gov.uk/vca/fcb/the-fuel- ... scheme.asp ) - details of the official mpg test procedure: :

EU Regulation 692/2008 describe the tests which all new cars on sale after 1 January 2001 are required to take.

"Fuel Consumption Test
The current test for conventional internal combustion engine vehicles has two parts. These are an urban and an extra-urban cycle. The test cycle is the same as that used to determine the official exhaust air quality pollutant emission classification for the model of vehicle in question.

The cars tested have to be ‘run-in’ so they must have been driven for at least 1,800 miles (3,000 kilometres) before testing.

Urban cycle
The urban test cycle is carried out in a laboratory at an ambient temperature of 20°C to 30°C on a rolling road from a cold start where the engine has not run for several hours. The cycle consists of a series of accelerations, steady speeds, decelerations and idling. The maximum speed is 31 mph (50 km/h). The average speed 12 mph (19 km/h) and the distance covered is 2.5 miles (4 km).

Extra-urban cycle
The extra-urban cycle is a cycle that is intended to represent the use of the vehicle on roads that are external to the urban environment. The cycle is conducted immediately following the urban cycle and consists of roughly half steady-speed driving with the remainder being accelerations, decelerations, and some idling. The maximum speed is 75 mph (120 km/h). The average speed is 39 mph (63 km/h) and the distance covered is 4.3 miles (7 km). "

Since the measurements are conducted in a laboratory on a rolling road, vehicle aerodynamics do not apparently have any influence on the test results, but presumably the vehicle mass affects the fuel consumed during those test phases involving acceleration.
Also, it seems surprising to me that the ambient temperature is in the range 20 C to 30 C for a cold engine start in the Urban cycle testing - that's a warm day in the UK...

Kevin

Post by Kevin » Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:25 am

Yes till now they get away with playing around with their MPG stats.

Not really fair in a lab and on a rolling road. Buyers really do get mixed up just like I did.

I consider weight, co2 emissions, and lastly their MPG figures when im shopping for a new car.

Softrider

Post by Softrider » Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:03 am

2017 Citroën C4 Picasso BlueHDi 120
History: 2002 Citroën C5 2.0 HDi, 2014 Citroën C4 Cactus BlueHDi 100

Cwba1

Post by Cwba1 » Fri Apr 06, 2018 3:59 pm

Four weeks in to owning both a Cactus 82 and a 110 s/s Aircross. I can tell you I am getting 38.9mpg so far in the C3 and my wife is getting more (sorry cant remember exactly) in her Cactus.

That said, it is heavier, and less aerodynamic and to be fair, I am heavy footed and the turbo encourages you to be.

I came from a 2L petrol 407 which managed 34mpg so not massively better but surprisingly feels as quick. I guess less power but almost half the weight accounts for that.

The Aircross is however a very spacious motor. Am off to the Scottish Highlands next week for 2 weeks so will let you all know how long runs and hilly terrain affect things.

Cant wait to bobble round the lochs in it!! :D

PS- Have only just broken 1k so not indicative mpg yet.

Return to “Faults & Technical”