Fuses and touch screen

Faults and Technical chat for the Citroen C4 Cactus
ripnard

Fuses and touch screen

Post by ripnard » Thu Mar 29, 2018 8:24 am

Hi all,

Since yesterday my 7" touchscreen will not come on. Black screen, no radio, but physical buttons underneath still work as does aircon etc)
Some coffee was spilt in the glove compartment and i think some has got in via the usb port/headphone socket part).

I am trying to work out if it may have blown a fuse (it came on after the spill but then turned off some 2 mins after driving and hasn't come on since) but looking at my fuse setup it appears a bit different to the manual? For example no second vertical row and the top on the fuses under the passenger side on the right and all fuses filled and with different amps. Is there another instruction manual for my setup that is somehow different how it shows in pages 198-200 of the user manual?
http://www.europass-citroen.com/vehicle ... kattempt=3

My cactus is the 15 model, 1.6 diesel BlueHDI Flair with sat nav and reversing camera.

I attach some pictures of my fuse setup.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! :)

20180329_075349 (Small).jpg

20180329_075342 (Small).jpg

20180329_075324 (Small).jpg

20180329_075119 (Small).jpg

davew

Re: Fuses and touch screen

Post by davew » Thu Mar 29, 2018 1:58 pm

Your handbook shows the same fuse layout as four other versions that are available online covering various years and rhd/lhd.
My guess is that the Touch Screen fuse in your actual fuse panel is the red one (10 amp) in a stack with 6x 5 amp ones, as shown on the right hand side of your 3rd picture.
According to your handbook and most others it should be rated at 15 amps but the 2016 handbook states 10 amps.
Could be worth checking that one.
If that doesn't resolve your problem you might need to consult a Citroen service facility.

ripnard

Post by ripnard » Thu Mar 29, 2018 6:11 pm

Found the other 2 RHD manuals online. Would be nice of the Citroen Dealership to give the correct handbook :)
Anyway yes looking at it again does look about the same but someone filled all the unneeded up and may/may not have used the right amp fuse in some places. What still really throws me though is I cant see the top vertical row that is shown in every version for horn, washers etc - unless its somehow behind a metal bar. F22-F30 on dashboard pictures.
However I don't need to get to those anyway.
Will try the 10 amp red and 20 amp yellow (radio) fuses and report back. Many thanks!

ripnard

Post by ripnard » Sat Mar 31, 2018 9:58 am

Unfortunately replacing the fuses didn't work. But at least removing the "screen" fuse also stops the A/C which was otherwise stuck on full blast.

Does anyone know exactly where the SMEG chip system lies? Is it as part of the metal box on the right hand side of the under passenger dash fuses?
I can only assume that the main driver unit to the touch screen computer is fried as just the screen doesn't come on (the buttons underneath work) and usb ports don't produce charge. Everything else electrical in the car still works.

Does anyone know what the cost may be in replacing the main SMEG driver unit? I don't need a new screen or anything just the computer driver unit - unless it is all replaced as one unit - as Citroen so far seem to be indicating! :S

20180330_170453 (Small).jpg

davew

Post by davew » Sat Mar 31, 2018 11:22 am

I think you might find this thread helpful :

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=3092

and also the referenced document at https://fccid.io/ANATEL/00719-14-05386/ ... C8D0EC/PDF

According to this document there is a fuse incorporated into the SMEG rear connector - see page 33

ripnard

Post by ripnard » Sun Apr 01, 2018 8:31 am

Fantastic thanks very much davew!! Will give that a try later.

ripnard

Post by ripnard » Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:46 pm

Final report.

My purple cactus's SMEG+ H2 unit is back on!

Took the metal unit out. The FAKRA connection releases at the back were a big pain with the wires themselves being very short! I ended up using 45 degree bent nose pliers in the end. Cleaned the coffee stain off the top of the unit shell (there fortunately wasn't too much) and changed the 15 amp fuse at the back of the unit (which not shown in the pics is also full of connected wires next to and under it).

Nothing immediate but after a 10 min car run everything seemed to reset and come on. :D

Moral of the story. Do not put liquid of any sort in the glove compartment that may spill. The main SMEG computer unit is right below - with gaps around the USB/Headphone socket header units (plus of course the connections themselves) running to it. DOH!

Many thanks!!!

Jukebox

Post by Jukebox » Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:24 pm

Pleased that you got it sorted, well done!
Flair 1.2(82) white n' black 17"alloys

davew

Post by davew » Tue Apr 03, 2018 8:40 am

Excellent outcome for your effort and perseverance.

Return to “Faults & Technical”