Car stalling with ETG6

Faults and Technical chat for the Citroen C4 Cactus
BananasSplitter

Car stalling with ETG6

Post by BananasSplitter » Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:24 am

Hey guys !
I have a sporadic problem with my ETG6 gearbox. It happens (generally after a long ride in the city traffic with lot of traffic lights) that the car suddenly stall when I try to go.

Let me give you an example:

Last time I was stopped at a red light, start stop didn't stop itself (it was too cold I think). When the light turned green, I released the brakes and pushed the accelerator. I could hear the motor making noise (like it's supposed to do when you hit the accelerator) but the car stay in place like the brakes were still engaged and then the car stalled. I had to fully turn off the motor, put the gear on neutral and then restart the motor.

My car is a the dealer today for the annual service but as the problem isn't permanent I'm not sure they'll be able to reproduce and get rid of it.

I've thought of the following possible causes:

- Anti-recoil problem (brake not fully released)
- General breaking problem (brakes are at the end of their lives, I think they'll change them today so maybe they stick together if there's not enough thickness on the brake pads and they're hot)
- Gearbox problem, I've had some problem at low speed
- Any other electrical or mechanical problem
- Gearbox oil level ? I dunno if there's such a thing on automatic gearboxes

Have you ever seen similar problem with your car ? What is the most plausible cause for you ?

I'll post here if I have any news from the garage about it

1.6 e-HDI 92cv - White&Brown ShineEd - park-assist, panoramic roof, ...

Keith

Re: Car stalling with ETG6

Post by Keith » Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:08 pm

The ETG6 is an electronically operated manual gearbox therefore having a clutch not a true torque converter type automatic gearbox therefore it could be clutch problem.

Citroen did away with this type box approximately 18 months to 2 years ago because of problems and replaced it with the EAT box.
Shark Grey - Black Air Bumps - Flair 82ETG - Panoramic Sunroof - City Park pack.Image

BananasSplitter

Re: Car stalling with ETG6

Post by BananasSplitter » Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:49 am

Yes I know Citroën switched to EAT on all their models. It was an EAT in the C3 Aircross I had yesterday as a spare car, and it was so fluent, much more than the ETG. And the "sport" mod is pleasant.

That said, the ETG does it works on every day drives, and that's all I need.

For my problem, the dealer didn't look carefully for that as they thought the problem I had was the start&stop and that I didn't know that it exists on the car...
But they told me to call them next time I have the problem and they'll recalibrate the clutch on the gearbox (but the car need to not move at all during 4h before the operation, that's why they didn't do that yesterday).

As it is a very sporadic problem, I think I'll just get used to it.
1.6 e-HDI 92cv - White&Brown ShineEd - park-assist, panoramic roof, ...

Return to “Faults & Technical”