Sat nav, letters missing

Faults and Technical chat for the Citroen C4 Cactus
The2ems

Sat nav, letters missing

Post by The2ems » Sun Feb 03, 2019 7:17 pm

A couple of days ago I was at a funeral in Brighton, and after the service I was given the postcode for Brighton Racecourse where the wake was being held. Normally I check Google Earth or Apple maps to find out if a postcode actually takes me where I need to go. On this occasion I was unable to do that. However, Brighton Racecourse has been there a long before postcodes we’re invented, so I assumed that it would be correct. And indeed, when I subsequently put the postcode BN2 9XZ into Google Earth, I get the correct location. But when I try to put it into my Cactus satnav, there is no X. It’s not just that the X is not illuminated, it physically, or digitally, isn’t there on the keyboard. This happened again on my next journey, there was no Q. I’m really confused as to why these letters do not appear on the keyboard. Anyone else had similar experiences?
PureTec 82 manual, 2018, Flair, Shark Grey, Black air bumps

ruairip

Re: Sat nav, letters missing

Post by ruairip » Sun Feb 03, 2019 7:36 pm

I would take a greyed out letters to indicate that they are not available for the current selection. Missing letters would make me think that the language/keyboard selection was not appropriate.
Best

Ruairi

C4 Cactus PureTech 82 S&S ETG Flair in Blue Lagoon with City Park Pack (12/03/2016 - 01/02/2019)
C4 Cactus PureTech 110 S&S EAT6 Auto in Emerald Blue (01/02/2019)

The2ems

Post by The2ems » Sun Feb 03, 2019 10:06 pm

ruairip wrote:
Sun Feb 03, 2019 7:36 pm
I would take a greyed out letters to indicate that they are not available for the current selection. Missing letters would make me think that the language/keyboard selection was not appropriate.
The letters were not greyed out, they were missing completely. What do you mean by innapropriate language/keyboard? I’ve been using this satnav for one year without any problems.

davew

Post by davew » Mon Feb 04, 2019 12:46 pm

The2ems wrote:
Sun Feb 03, 2019 10:06 pm
ruairip wrote:
The letters were not greyed out, they were missing completely. What do you mean by innapropriate language/keyboard? I’ve been using this satnav for one year without any problems.
I've just checked this and found that letter X was also completely missing; but then clicked on the small book symbol just above and left of the on-screen touch key pad which changed the keypad character set - a number of character sets are are available - and eventually found the one containing the normal UK alphabet (with X ...).
Then your post code destination came up ok.

The2ems

Post by The2ems » Mon Feb 04, 2019 1:04 pm

davew wrote:
Mon Feb 04, 2019 12:46 pm
The2ems wrote:
ruairip wrote:
I've just checked this and found that letter X was also completely missing; but then clicked on the small book symbol just above and left of the on-screen touch key pad which changed the keypad character set - a number of character sets are are available - and eventually found the one containing the normal UK alphabet (with X ...).
Amazing. Just tried that and you are absolutely correct. Who would have thought that. Thanks very much.
This forum has once again proved its worth. 😊

Alickswud

Post by Alickswud » Mon Feb 04, 2019 7:29 pm

Whilst you guys are discussing the keyboard can I ask how you are managing to put a postcode into your sat -nav as I cannot find a postcode setting. Mine seems to want some type of co-ordinates and I am unable to change this.

The2ems

Post by The2ems » Mon Feb 04, 2019 7:55 pm

Alickswud wrote:
Mon Feb 04, 2019 7:29 pm
Whilst you guys are discussing the keyboard can I ask how you are managing to put a postcode into your sat -nav as I cannot find a postcode setting. Mine seems to want some type of co-ordinates and I am unable to change this.
The postcode is entered into the “city” field

Alickswud

Post by Alickswud » Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:31 pm

Many thanks, I'll give that a try in the morning

davew

Post by davew » Wed Feb 06, 2019 6:01 pm

The2ems wrote:
Mon Feb 04, 2019 1:04 pm
davew wrote:
Mon Feb 04, 2019 12:46 pm
The2ems wrote:

Amazing. Just tried that and you are absolutely correct. Who would have thought that. Thanks very much.
This forum has once again proved its worth. 😊
I've spent quite some time looking through the User Manual (paper one) and cannot find any mention of this setting; gives me another reason to think that the manual writers have no actual real world experience of driving the car and/or using the satnav...