Under the engine

Faults and Technical chat for the Citroen C4 Cactus
PurpleCactus

Under the engine

Post by PurpleCactus » Sun Jul 26, 2020 9:13 am

Hello,

Related to my oil leak, I was wondering if there is supposed to be a panel underneath the engine. My C5 had one, but there isn't anything protecting the underside of the engine on the Cactus.

Everything looks suspiciously clean for there not to be a cover of some sort.

I've seen the engine shield photos of the first Cactus, but not for the updated model.

Jonathan
Cactus Feel Puretech 110 S&S 6 speed manual in Deep Purple

PeterW

Re: Under the engine

Post by PeterW » Sun Jul 26, 2020 10:07 am

No, this model does not have one, however, have heard of some who have fitted one.
However, I think this also affects the cooling of the engine, but I'm not sure.
CITROEN C4 CACTUS PURETECH 82 S&S ETG FEEL. 2015

PurpleCactus

Post by PurpleCactus » Sun Jul 26, 2020 10:39 am

Thank you, Peter W

I had a quick peek under another new Cactus in a car park this morning. No engine tray on that one either, confirming your information.

I wonder if this is more likely to be a cost-saver as opposed to an engine-cooling requirement. The struts alongside clearly have holes for clips in the right place to suggest that there ought to be one; a hangover from the previous model, perhaps? They have kept most of the original frame, just changed the body panels. It's a pity that mounting points for roof rails wasn't also considered worth keeping!

Jonathan

srperry

Post by srperry » Sun Jul 26, 2020 10:44 am

PurpleCactus wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 10:39 am
Thank you, Peter W

I had a quick peek under another new Cactus in a car park this morning. No engine tray on that one either, confirming your information.

I wonder if this is more likely to be a cost-saver as opposed to an engine-cooling requirement. The struts alongside clearly have holes for clips in the right place to suggest that there ought to be one; a hangover from the previous model, perhaps? They have kept most of the original frame, just changed the body panels. It's a pity that mounting points for roof rails wasn't also considered worth keeping!

Jonathan
The mounting points you mentioned for roof rails were never included on the Cactus; you ordered either with or without rails, and if ordered without there were no mounting points on the roof - but you could fit roof bars because there were mounting points in the four door openings.
C5 Aircross PureTech 130 S&S Flair, Tijuca Blue/Black Roof, Metropolitan Grey ambience

PurpleCactus

Post by PurpleCactus » Mon Jul 27, 2020 9:46 am

I thought that roof rails were standard on all but the lowest spec Mk1 Cactus. I searched for them when I was configuring a Mk2 Cactus - but the only option was the transverse roof bars. I have not seen a single Mk2 Cactus with roof rails fitted; if anyone has, I'd like to see photos!

I found the mounting points in the doors, and I saw a Cactus the other day with the transverse bars - but they don't look as good.

berapotter

Post by berapotter » Mon Jul 27, 2020 2:45 pm

Surely the mounting holes under the engine are for the undertray for the dirty diesels. It's part of the sound deadening for the louder engine.
They will only make one chassis even if it has multiple engine options.
There are requirements to achieve drive-by sound levels so reducing drive train and engine noise are all part of that.
N.B. some motor cycles have 2 covers fitted over the front drive sprocket with the same aim in mind.
C4 Black Flair 145 s&s, C3 Aircross white Flair130 s&s. SLK350

PurpleCactus

Post by PurpleCactus » Mon Jul 27, 2020 5:08 pm

berapotter wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 2:45 pm
They will only make one chassis even if it has multiple engine options.
Of course! I was just wondering if someone had forgotten to put mine back on... Sound deadening, certainly, but also protection. I had a C5 diesel with one and the underside of the engine looked almost new even after 15 years. I wonder if my Cactus will last as long.

Jonovich

Post by Jonovich » Mon Jul 27, 2020 11:19 pm

PurpleCactus wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 9:46 am
I thought that roof rails were standard on all but the lowest spec Mk1 Cactus. I searched for them when I was configuring a Mk2 Cactus - but the only option was the transverse roof bars. I have not seen a single Mk2 Cactus with roof rails fitted; if anyone has, I'd like to see photos!

I found the mounting points in the doors, and I saw a Cactus the other day with the transverse bars - but they don't look as good.
Like this?

citroen-c4-cactus-hatchback-95e088a54b2b.jpg

PurpleCactus

Post by PurpleCactus » Wed Aug 12, 2020 2:12 pm

Yes!

But how???!!!

68 - is that one of the first few of the new model? It's only six months before mine, and when I requested them I was told that the only ones availble were transverse. This type of bar is not a current option - I've just tried to configure a new car. It must have only been available for a short-term - perhaps to use up stocks of bars? A rarity indeed.

But it's still not fair!

Could these be retro fitted, perhaps? I have a drill ...

PS I have found the same discussion in reverse. viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1943&start=30 Having seen the holes I'd need, perhaps I'd be better off just putting up with no bars.