Touch screen cutting out

Faults and Technical chat for the Citroen C4 Cactus
Kaiketsu

Re: Touch screen cutting out

Post by Kaiketsu » Tue Oct 27, 2020 12:28 pm

I have been having this issue, with SMEG+iv2 6.1.r19.

Disconnecting Bluetooth does not help and is only told to people as they would rather not look into the issue and give you the common solutions.

12B BBC National has had a drastic change on the data they transmit, it could be causing a stack overflow or memory leak in the radios that are not designed to take this new signal data and casuing a full system reset.

i have emailed BBC as some others, i see, i am waiting to hear back, but could i suggest all of you that are still seeing the issue please email the BBC through their reception website (or others if you know any better) to point out it’s not just a small number of us that they have broken the BBC stations for, hopefully they will fix or revert the changes. if no one speaks up then they will assume it’s not an issue!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/reception/contact ... ion-advice

as for software upgrades my local dealer is looking at charging £100+ to download the data and update the unit and they won’t do that without official go ahead from head office of the manufacture. for that much i don’t need to listen to BBC that badly!

elletts

Post by elletts » Tue Oct 27, 2020 7:41 pm

Kaiketsu wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 12:28 pm
I have been having this issue, with SMEG+iv2 6.1.r19.

Disconnecting Bluetooth does not help and is only told to people as they would rather not look into the issue and give you the common solutions.

12B BBC National has had a drastic change on the data they transmit, it could be causing a stack overflow or memory leak in the radios that are not designed to take this new signal data and casuing a full system reset.

i have emailed BBC as some others, i see, i am waiting to hear back, but could i suggest all of you that are still seeing the issue please email the BBC through their reception website (or others if you know any better) to point out it’s not just a small number of us that they have broken the BBC stations for, hopefully they will fix or revert the changes. if no one speaks up then they will assume it’s not an issue!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/reception/contact ... ion-advice

as for software upgrades my local dealer is looking at charging £100+ to download the data and update the unit and they won’t do that without official go ahead from head office of the manufacture. for that much i don’t need to listen to BBC that badly!
I have done this as well now.

matthew77

Post by matthew77 » Thu Oct 29, 2020 10:45 pm

Just wanted to add another Cactus 2016 to the list. Same problem which started 4-5 weeks ago. Initially turning off every 10 minutes roughly but much more frequently now. Will try without BBC dab radio tomorrow.

Mopatops

Post by Mopatops » Fri Oct 30, 2020 8:28 am

Kaiketsu wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 12:28 pm
I have quite a few DAB radios, one in another car, a few portable units, and a couple built into home stereos. None of them are having probems, so I don't really think this is a BBC issue. Even my original Evoke Pure, one of the first DAB radios I ever owned, doesn't have issues, so I think this lies with Citroen.

Steve

routemaster1

Post by routemaster1 » Fri Oct 30, 2020 8:31 am

There are so many threads on this issue on several sites. Latest appears to be that the cars can be sorted with a software update.

Mopatops

Post by Mopatops » Fri Oct 30, 2020 9:09 am

routemaster1 wrote:
Fri Oct 30, 2020 8:31 am
There are so many threads on this issue on several sites. Latest appears to be that the cars can be sorted with a software update.
Are these FREE software updates, or the £100 + some seem to have been quoted?

routemaster1

Post by routemaster1 » Fri Oct 30, 2020 7:11 pm

Mopatops wrote:
Fri Oct 30, 2020 9:09 am
routemaster1 wrote:
Fri Oct 30, 2020 8:31 am
Are these FREE software updates, or the £100 + some seem to have been quoted?
Some have been charged. It is possible that some have done it themselves, although I wouldn't try. I don't know whether software updates are done routinely as part of a service or service plan.

Markaren76

Post by Markaren76 » Sat Oct 31, 2020 3:56 pm

I have updated without cost via a USB stick to carry the program from my computer to the car. At the same time I changed the radio to FM and away from DAB.
That was a couple of weeks back. I then heard the BBC had again adjusted their transmissions.
Over the last couple of days I’ve returned to DAB radio and listened to the BBC radio 2, 4, and 4xtra. Over several hours I no lon*er seem to have an issue

Hope this is helpful
Mark

cactusjade

Post by cactusjade » Sun Nov 01, 2020 1:10 pm

Another Cactus 16 flair blueHDI with this issue here.
For me the screen cuts out when I have my phone plugged in via USB playing music and also when I’m playing music from my phone with Bluetooth.
Really at a loss of what to do here because I refuse to pay £85 for ‘diagnostics’ then more for whatever fix they come up, when it’s clearly a widespread issue that should require a recall.
Has anyone found a solution yet? The radio isn’t the issue for me only Bluetooth and USB playing music. From an iPhone if that makes a difference?
My job includes driving a lot and this is getting really frustrating.

Mopatops

Post by Mopatops » Sun Nov 01, 2020 3:57 pm

cactusjade wrote:
Sun Nov 01, 2020 1:10 pm
Another Cactus 16 flair blueHDI with this issue here.
For me the screen cuts out when I have my phone plugged in via USB playing music and also when I’m playing music from my phone with Bluetooth.
Really at a loss of what to do here because I refuse to pay £85 for ‘diagnostics’ then more for whatever fix they come up, when it’s clearly a widespread issue that should require a recall.
Has anyone found a solution yet? The radio isn’t the issue for me only Bluetooth and USB playing music. From an iPhone if that makes a difference?
My job includes driving a lot and this is getting really frustrating.
Are you sure the DAB radio isn't tuned to a BBC station. Even though you are using Bluetoth, the radio being tuned to a BBC DAB channel in the background will still cause the unit to crash. Try selecting DAB, tuning away from a BBC station, and try Bluetooth again. The radio stays active even when using another function.
I read a thread recently on another forum from a few years ago talking about a similar problem. Apparently Citroen disabled the DAB part of the system on some cars as a short term fix, so they must have knowledge of the problem.