Waving or flahsing lights to other owenrs

Was it you? Spotted another Cactus on the roads? Post here.
Robi55

Waving or flahsing lights to other owenrs

Post by Robi55 » Fri Oct 11, 2019 5:13 pm

I am the new owner of a brand new Cactus (1 week!) and really enjoying the car so far. Iknow they have a reputation of being a bit of a left-field choice but i was still quite surprised to be waved at by a lady onwer of another Cactus last weekend. Nice touch. In years past, Alfa owners used to do this too. So, to pick up the mantle, I then flashed my light and waved at another owner today only to be glared at in confusion as we passed......It;s a nice gesture but I wonder whether it can also lead to confusion, given the mis-use of headlights these days. Has anyone else had similar experiences? Is there an etiquette I should be aware of? :lol:
2019 Cactus Flair 130 s/s, Pearl White with city pack.

CakeEater

Re: Waving or flahsing lights to other owenrs

Post by CakeEater » Mon Oct 14, 2019 5:01 pm

Around home counties/south of england/london i have seen on occasion a few other Cacti, however, I don't flash them but even if i try to catch the driver's eye or wave there is little to no acknowledgement... i don't get vexed with other drivers who don't acknowledge courtesies such as stopping on a single track road, as i am glad they are concentrating on driving, but with Cacti drivers i think maybe they don't want attention drawn to the fact they have good taste in reasonable priced and practical cars.

;)

CactiBhoy

Waving or flashing lights to other owners

Post by CactiBhoy » Wed Oct 16, 2019 10:21 pm

Something started by the vehicle recovery dudes after the second battle of countries on the planet :ugeek: Motorcyclists still do this as a acknowledgment of belonging to almost death club by only having two wheels (a long flash right leg out means plod around the corner). I flash my light`s at fellow Cactuses, And their owners respond sometimes. If they know why your flashing the lights at them during the daylight hours. :lol:
`" `In order to win once, you have got to get used to losing a whole lot of times. That's why I no longer buy Fiats.`" :lol:

Markaren76

Post by Markaren76 » Thu Oct 17, 2019 5:06 pm

Flashing and waving is common in the classic car community

I have a number of other cars. All classics. When looking for insurance I found classic insurance is significantly cheaper than 'normal' rates. Insurance rules for classic classification has recently changed. Now only cars that are over 40 yrs old and those with a club, FaceBook following or similar will be classed as classic and therefore eligible for lower insurance pricing. I raise this point because it's clear there is a fair following for the Cactus (especially the side bumper model, I'm still not sure if its Mk1 or 2). Personally I bought mine because its just such a great car. I also think those that stay on the road will be modern classics (of the future). Can't come fast enough in my view.

Mark

Mike66

Post by Mike66 » Thu Oct 17, 2019 5:18 pm

Having moved from a Land Rover to a Cactus - I know what you mean Mark, I used to get a few waves in that one.

And yes, I think you're right, the Mk1 Cactus could possibly find a following in the future 8-)

Cheers
Mike

Calumets

Post by Calumets » Thu Jan 30, 2020 2:21 pm

I wave
'Claudette' - PureTech 110 Flair S&S manual, silver with chocolate Airbumps. I wave...

Rubik

Post by Rubik » Fri Jan 31, 2020 5:29 pm

When I bought my Cactus in 2014/15 there were only 2 or 3 in the entire of East Yorkshire. They took some time to initially sell.

If we ever saw another which was very occasionally, we always flashed our lights or waved, it was lovely and the other drivers always reciprocated. :D