Clutch Bleeding

Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU
CactusDan

Clutch Bleeding

Post by CactusDan » Fri Nov 13, 2020 10:46 am

Hi

I am new to the forum and i need a bit of help.

Please feel free to move to the right area if i am posting it in the wrong forum.

We had a leaking slave cylinder which i have replaced and for the life of me i cant seem to be able to bleed it properly.

I managed to get some pressure there and i could move the clutch and engage gears but i wanted to make sure it was bled properly so i got the kit out (borrowed from my dad) and set about doing it properly. Now i cannot get any pressure at all.

In the slave cylinder, there are 2 clips to lock it in place. I think i have worked out that you release one and pull the hose out slightly to enable the cylinder to be bled, but now i have got it hooked up to the bleed kit, i cant get the pressure back.

Does anyone have any how to's or hints and tips on how to bleed this type of slave cylinder please? The kit i have isnt one of the pressurised versions, just the type with the one way valve if that helps?

CactusDan

Re: Clutch Bleeding

Post by CactusDan » Mon Nov 16, 2020 3:07 pm

bit of an update.... Someone on the C4 forum gave me these suggestions:

"If it's an external slave cylinder then it took a long time to bleed fully when I replaced mine.

It's quite simple, the clip pulled out then pull the pipe back, press the clutch down, push the pipe back in, clutch up, repeat until no air.
Needs two people.

Easier with a clear pipe on the bleed nipple to see the air bubbles."

However, having done this for 5 - 10 mins of in and out and up and down, still no pressure in the clutch.

CactiBhoy

Re: Clutch Bleeding a hydraulic clutch system

Post by CactiBhoy » Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:45 am

Its the same for most hydraulic systems. Here we go. Fill master cylinder up with fluid (place cap on a couple of threads). Next find slave (next to operating arm or pipe supplying clutch/brake) find the pipe going to slave cylinder/brake caliper. Pressurise system (by pressing it down and releasing it) a couple of times. Press it to floor. Shout down (and keep it down). The person underneath car releases the banjo bolt or nut holding the pipe (at slave or brake pipe or bleed nipple). Air or old fluid should both squirt out. Retighten nut or banjo bolt, tell person inside to release pedal. tell them to pump pedal (like before) and hold it down, until you have released/tightened the banjo bolt/nut.
Repeat until new fluid and no bubbles of air are present and pedal has firmed up to operated clutch/brake sufficiently. :D
`" `In order to win once, you have got to get used to losing a whole lot of times. That's why I no longer buy Fiats, or anything with a French wiring loom now.`" :evil:

CactusDan

Re: Clutch Bleeding

Post by CactusDan » Mon Nov 23, 2020 11:23 am

Thanks for the reply.

We had success at the weekend....

After many different methods of bleeding including vaccum, gravity and the good old fashioned pumping the peddle we got it working...

I can only think there was an airlock in the cylinder itself - despite using the vacuum bleeder and previous pumping attempts. I decided to try and work out if there was fluid flowing to the cylinder by pulling the pipe completely out of the cylinder and i got a few drips then more of a flow which suggested there was. Plugged it back into the cylinder and with some pumping and pulling the hose in and out (with the second clip engaged as suggested in the other post, we were able to bleed the clutch.

So i can confirm that with that second clip pulled out, pull the pipe back, press the clutch down, push the pipe back in, clutch up, repeat until no air, works. Even without the vaccum bleeding kit.