Safety Notice December 2020

Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU
routemaster1

Re: Safety Notice December 2020

Post by routemaster1 » Mon Feb 08, 2021 1:23 pm

I have posted more info about this in another thread. The issue is restricted t certain dates, but is nothing really to do with the turbo. It's just that a non-turbo engine has (presumably) a traditional vacuum servo giving brake assistance supplied by the inlet manifold. The turbo engines have a different system similar to diesels using a vacuum pump. The detritus in the oil from the belts apparently block the filter in the vacuum pump which then fails, causing brake assistance to fail. I would assume that the issue occurs in all PSA cars fitted with this engine.

Supy

Post by Supy » Sat Feb 13, 2021 8:28 pm

I got my recall letter in the post a couple of days back. It says timing belt replacement recommended after 62.5k miles OR 6 years. Only 33k on the clock but it is coming up to 6 years old so I wonder if they will replace.
2015 Flair 110 in Pearl White / Chocolate Airbumps / Habana leather / Pano Roof / Park Assist

Rubik

Post by Rubik » Sun Feb 14, 2021 3:48 pm

Supy wrote:
Sat Feb 13, 2021 8:28 pm
I got my recall letter in the post a couple of days back. It says timing belt replacement recommended after 62.5k miles OR 6 years. Only 33k on the clock but it is coming up to 6 years old so I wonder if they will replace.

Interesting, my so called agent doesn't want anything to do with me despite selling me the car 6 years ago.

Nobody wants premature issues with timing belts so I have contacted Citroen (UK) to see if it affects myself.

Nothing to loose.

jono

Post by jono » Mon Mar 01, 2021 8:47 am

Hi all,

Sorry first time posting here for many years (family life and all!)

I took my 6 year old Cactus in for the recall work at the same time as it's service last week at the main dealer locally. I was given the impression when booking that the cambelt would be replaced free of charge due to my car's age but it turned out the 'work' just seemed to involve the safety aspect of changing the management software to give earlier warning of impending brake problems caused by the cambelt issues.

My car has only done 24k miles, although it's often used for short runs. Having studied the recall letter carefully it seems the new 6 year interval is only for those covering 9k+ a year plus regular short runs?

I struggled to get a straight answer as to the current condition of the cambelt last week, as I thought they were also meant to be checking it as part of the recall. This doesn't fill me with a lot confidence in the longevity of the engine, especially combined with the return of occasional Check Engine light on cold starts recently (something it did 3 or so years back) plus previous issues with misfires under load.

I'm quite attached to the Cactus (including the engine performance when it's working properly) but am starting to wonder if now is the time to offload it. Have to say that the intermittent engine issues I've had combined with quite disinterested dealer service did put me off ordering a new C4 recently to replace my other PCP car...
2015 Cactus 110 Flair in Blue Lagoon with black leather interior

berapotter

Post by berapotter » Mon Mar 01, 2021 9:13 am

I feel sorry for anybody who gets (at best) indifferent service from main dealers. :cry:

Can't speak highly enough of the people I deal with.
they were very clear that;-
a. the belt had been measured and had come up on spec. no work was needed and no vacumn or oil pump issues.
b. they had looked at my mileage between MOT's (UK annual inspection) that I wasn't in the 9k miles and short run cat.
c. my belt change/service would be at the book mileage although 80,000 miles might be a more approriate time to change timing belt (if I keep the car that long) which is something I do after my Datsun expired at 120,000 because I hadn't changed the belt :oops: .

Don't get me wrong I have had to disagree with them about bits and pieces over the years, I think the guys and gals do the best they can with-in the constraints of "company policy", it may be that ATM I still take 2 cars in that have service contracts DS3 & C3air or I could be that I was a lecturer in Motor Vehicle at a college.
either way cruddy service shouldn't happen :twisted:
C4 Black Flair 145 s&s, C3 Aircross white Flair130 s&s. SLK350

PurpleCactus

Post by PurpleCactus » Sat Mar 06, 2021 7:09 pm

Chris wrote:
Mon Jan 25, 2021 9:52 am
What is the recall all about and what did it mess up?
If you're still none the wiser ...

https://www.check-vehicle-recalls.servi ... 17/recalls

The timing belt can break up and pieces can "affect" the vacuum pump. It's a safety recall and 21211 cars are affected.

I did a search for a 2017 Cactus, by the way. Search for anything else here:

https://www.check-vehicle-recalls.servi ... ecall-type
Cactus Feel 6 speed manual in Deep Purple + Cactus Flair 6 speed automatic in Emerald Blue

routemaster1

Post by routemaster1 » Sat Mar 06, 2021 7:36 pm

Just for clarity, the issue only applies to 110bhp and above, just the turbo versions. This is due to the potential blockage of the oilways on the brake vacuum pump leading to no brake assistance. The non-turbo version presumably has a more traditional vacuum servo.

PurpleCactus

Post by PurpleCactus » Sat Mar 06, 2021 9:34 pm

routemaster1 wrote:
Sat Mar 06, 2021 7:36 pm
Just for clarity, the issue only applies to 110bhp and above, just the turbo versions. This is due to the potential blockage of the oilways on the brake vacuum pump leading to no brake assistance. The non-turbo version presumably has a more traditional vacuum servo.
Good point! The DVLA site doesn't actually give any details of exactly which vehicles are affected, just that there is a recall and to contact a dealership.

Here is what I found on another site:

The vacuum pump may be damaged due to material abrasion of the cog belt.
As a result, the braking assistance could be reduced or lost, increasing the risk of an accident.
The Citroën C4 Cactus models affected by this recall were equipped with a 1.2-litre turbo petrol engine and manufactured between March 2013 and April 2017.
Citroën recall code: HFC

Does anyone with this vehicle have the MyCitroën app? Does it provide the details? Hopefully, everyone who has an affected model registered to them will be told about this.
Cactus Feel 6 speed manual in Deep Purple + Cactus Flair 6 speed automatic in Emerald Blue

Budword

Post by Budword » Sat Apr 03, 2021 9:34 am

Hi all. First post on here, and unfortunately it’s all about the £4000 of work required on my cactus to fix problems arising from a blocked oil strainer caused by the breakdown of the timing belt running through the oil sump. Apparently. Citroen have been quite opaque as to what the problem was. All I got was an engine warning and an oil pressure fault code from my local garage. Then a letter from Citroen about this HFC safety recall!
To be fair Citroen have footed the bill for all the work, with no quibble. Hats off. Still, not sure if the problem has been fixed long term, so am thinking it’s time to say goodbye to the bumper car.

PeterW

Post by PeterW » Sat Apr 03, 2021 4:34 pm

I love this car but there is no doubt about it, it a miserably built car full of bugs ..
Have been to the workshop with the car approx. 8-10 times in the last 5 years, in addition to annual service. New doors, new engine, new shock absorber, new catalytic converter, new exhaust and 4-5 recalls for div. error.
Luckily I had signed up for 5 years of service otherwise I would have gone bankrupt ...
CITROEN C4 CACTUS PURETECH 82 S&S ETG FEEL. 2015