New model gear ratios

Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU
Post Reply
hellooo
Posts: 8
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2018 5:57 pm
Been thanked: 1 time

New model gear ratios

Post by hellooo » Wed Sep 05, 2018 7:23 am

Hi,
I have just ordered a new 110 Flair with the 6 speed manual box, due to arrive next month. Despite having searched through various websites, I can't find the gear ratios or mph/1000rpm figures for this gearbox and engine combination. Automobilecatalog has the 110 as available with a 5 speed manual or 6 speed auto, which pull around 27.5 and 30mph/1000rpm in top respectively. In the absence of a rev counter and presence of a very smooth engine, it would be useful to have these figures in all gears, for running in purposes. Does anybody know whether the 110 and 130 versions have identical gear ratios? The latter is listed on Automobilecatalog with around 32mph/1000rpm showing in 6th which should make for relaxed cruising.
Thanks in advance.

hellooo
Posts: 8
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2018 5:57 pm
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: New model gear ratios

Post by hellooo » Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:08 am

Hi all,
Think I have answered my own question with this. The new car arrived this week and I noticed that 6th isn't required until around 60mph. Gears 1 to 5 of both 110 and 130ps versions on automobilecatalog.com are identical, so I suspect that the 6th for the new 110ps is exactly the same too.

1,000 2,000 3,000 4,000 5,500 6,200
1 5.3 11 16 21 29 33
2 9.8 20 29 39 54 61
3 15.7 31 47 63 86 97
4 22.2 44 67 89 122
5 27.7 55 83 111
6 32.1 64 96

Hopefully it will help with running in. The engine is so quiet, as others have noted, that engine speed can be difficult to work out from sound alone.

paully
Posts: 312
Joined: Mon Oct 05, 2015 2:09 pm
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 3 times

Re: New model gear ratios

Post by paully » Fri Oct 19, 2018 2:16 pm

Glad you`ve got it sorted and I`m sure many of us would be interested to hear of what you think of the new model..cheers
110 Flair in Pearlescent White, Leather interior with Black Bumps

davew
Posts: 656
Joined: Thu Apr 14, 2016 11:21 am

Re: New model gear ratios

Post by davew » Fri Oct 19, 2018 5:09 pm

hellooo wrote:
Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:08 am
Hi all,
Think I have answered my own question with this. The new car arrived this week and I noticed that 6th isn't required until around 60mph. Gears 1 to 5 of both 110 and 130ps versions on automobilecatalog.com are identical, so I suspect that the 6th for the new 110ps is exactly the same too.

1,000 2,000 3,000 4,000 5,500 6,200
1 5.3 11 16 21 29 33
2 9.8 20 29 39 54 61
3 15.7 31 47 63 86 97
4 22.2 44 67 89 122
5 27.7 55 83 111
6 32.1 64 96

Hopefully it will help with running in. The engine is so quiet, as others have noted, that engine speed can be difficult to work out from sound alone.
Not too surprisingly, the ratios for gears 1-5 correspond exactly with the ratios for the older 110 model, as given in this posting viewtopic.php?f=8&t=921&p=7103#p7103

hellooo
Posts: 8
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2018 5:57 pm
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: New model gear ratios

Post by hellooo » Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:23 pm

Thanks, I wondered whether the gearing might have been changed to suit lower power and torque, but obviously not.
First impressions are good. Can't believe how quiet and soft it is compared to VAG cars we've had before. The touch screen will take some getting used to and I'll wait until the car is run in before testing properly. It seems quick enough without trying though!

davew
Posts: 656
Joined: Thu Apr 14, 2016 11:21 am

Re: New model gear ratios

Post by davew » Sat Oct 20, 2018 4:01 pm

hellooo wrote:
Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:23 pm
Thanks, I wondered whether the gearing might have been changed to suit lower power and torque, but obviously not.
First impressions are good. Can't believe how quiet and soft it is compared to VAG cars we've had before. The touch screen will take some getting used to and I'll wait until the car is run in before testing properly. It seems quick enough without trying though!
By taking the characteristic of engine torque vs engine speed (as provided at the site you used for gear ratios) and combining with the overall gear ratios, its possible to plot the available torque at the driving wheels vs the road speed, for each gear.

This indicates that if you are looking for the maximum available road wheel torque through the gears (eg for maximum acceleration), then up to about 100mph just use gears 1-3, shifting into the next gear at about 6200 rpm.
ie for gear shift 1 to 2 change at 33mph, and for gearshift 2 to 3 change at 61mph.

Of course, you'll have to wait for the engine to bed in before testing this hypothesis!

hellooo
Posts: 8
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2018 5:57 pm
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: New model gear ratios

Post by hellooo » Tue Nov 20, 2018 6:23 pm

Now run in, and after a long motorway run, I was able to open up the 6 speed 110 where conditions allowed. Results were surprising. The limiter intervened at 32, 53 and 83 in gears 1 to 3. Other sites give the engine's limit as 6,400. This being the case, gearing is likely to match figures for the 6 speed auto given on automobilecatalog, peaking at 30/1000rpm in 6th. Without published gear and final drive ratios, there isn't much I can do to prove it. In other news, still like the relaxed ride and fact that I've only seen 1 like it.

davew
Posts: 656
Joined: Thu Apr 14, 2016 11:21 am

Re: New model gear ratios

Post by davew » Thu Nov 29, 2018 9:49 am

hellooo wrote:
Tue Nov 20, 2018 6:23 pm
Now run in, and after a long motorway run, I was able to open up the 6 speed 110 where conditions allowed. Results were surprising. The limiter intervened at 32, 53 and 83 in gears 1 to 3. Other sites give the engine's limit as 6,400. This being the case, gearing is likely to match figures for the 6 speed auto given on automobilecatalog, peaking at 30/1000rpm in 6th. Without published gear and final drive ratios, there isn't much I can do to prove it. In other news, still like the relaxed ride and fact that I've only seen 1 like it.
Have to say I have had reservations about the authenticity of the technical information at the Automobilecatalog web site and your observations rather confirm that.

Good to know you're enjoying the drive.

BTW have you any comments about the ride over road bumps etc?

hellooo
Posts: 8
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2018 5:57 pm
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: New model gear ratios

Post by hellooo » Sun Dec 02, 2018 1:16 pm

I agree, the site isn't accurate. The ride is above average. I haven't had issues with noise from the suspension. Seats, more than suspension, improve ride comfort. I am still aware of poor surfacing but the effect seems insulated. The car tracks straight on a motorway run, but seems affected more by side winds due to lack of weight probably.

Post Reply