Emissions fault!!!

Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU
gravystuffing

Emissions fault!!!

Post by gravystuffing » Sat Sep 19, 2015 11:24 am

After nearly 6000 miles first the engine warning light then the urea warning light came on :x Then it started counting back from 750 miles to say the engine would not start :( I got it down to 600 miles before I got it to a dealer. The dealer couldn't deal with it for two days and then on the day said his diagnostics computer was down :o :o :o So he just topped up the Blu ( there is no level indicator) and reset the fault :evil:

I'm back on the road but I'm nervous about what will happen next :oops:

I suppose the best spin I could put on it is that the Blu was never properly topped up when the car was delivered as it is supposed to last 12500 miles.

Any other suggestions?

Mark

Re: Emissions fault!!!

Post by Mark » Sat Sep 19, 2015 6:52 pm

I got a new Toyota for a change 9 years ago and it did not have any oil in it and the warning light did not work. I took it to the dealer saying it keeps overheating on the temperature gauge. It was pure luck that the engine did not seize up. I hated that car and I won't be buying Japanese again. I got rid after 6 months and went on and bought a trusty C3 Hdi.
Citroen C4 Cactus Sport Red with black bumps and Silver 17"wheels 1.6 eHdi 92 ETG6 Flair.

BristolRich

Post by BristolRich » Wed Sep 23, 2015 7:34 am

gravystuffing wrote:
Any other suggestions?
gravystuffing wrote:
Any other suggestions?
AdBlue is sold in most Service stations...it looks like large bottles of Screenwash for about £10.

You can fill the reservoir up yourself, the instructions are in the manual and is a case of removing the puncture compressor and tray, unscrewing a cover and a cap. Follow the guidance in the manual and away you go. No need for any dealer resets or anything.

The reason why its run out so soon, I can only think it is due to driving style. When you stop and get out of the car you can hear the AdBlue pump regerating the system and faint wirring sound can be heard. If you are only doing numerous short journeys day in day out then everytime you stop and remove the key the cycle is regenerating.

The other thing to be aware of is that AdBlue has a short shelf life and can deteriorate in cold/hot (as if!) weather or sunlight. There is a possibility that if your car is 12m old, the ECU might be forcing you to fill as opposed to it needing a fill.
Ex - 2014 Hello Yellow Citroën C4 Cactus Hatchback 1.6 BlueHDi 100 Feel Edition

Mrsstuzilla

Post by Mrsstuzilla » Wed Sep 23, 2015 5:28 pm

Very interesting re ad blue! I have heard that whirring and gurgling sound and thought I was imagining it. :). We had ours topped up when we bought the car in Jan at 10k miles and then again for the 1 year service last month. Should last us a while.

Slightly off topic have been wondering about these new emission laws? If the car has ad blue and a dpf filter surely they can't slap a congestion charge on it for entering certain cities - Southampton being my nearest. It's euro 6 for emissions I hear?
Claire 8-)

Mark

Post by Mark » Wed Sep 23, 2015 6:26 pm

I think it is for older cars and not the European cat 5 or 6 as ours are. As for Volkswagens!!!!!!!!.
Citroen C4 Cactus Sport Red with black bumps and Silver 17"wheels 1.6 eHdi 92 ETG6 Flair.

BristolRich

Post by BristolRich » Thu Sep 24, 2015 7:31 am

I would hope both Euro 5 and 6 would be covered, however lately there has been alot of focus on city NOX levels and the contribution to this from diesel vehicles. With the focus towards "the more dangerous NOX", I dont think this would include Euro 5....

Euro 5 saw the addtion of Diesel Particulate Filters (DPF) which are installed to catch "soot" in the exaust and either return it into the combustion cycle or burn it off through high heat of the exhaust.

Euro 6 saw the introduction of AdBlue selective non-catalytic reduction which (in addition to a DPF) was introduced to reduce NOX emissions.

Some would say its a conspiracy to buy a new car... ;)
Ex - 2014 Hello Yellow Citroën C4 Cactus Hatchback 1.6 BlueHDi 100 Feel Edition

Mrsstuzilla

Post by Mrsstuzilla » Thu Sep 24, 2015 2:43 pm

:? Just not sure if they'll just go with a blanket 'all diesels pay the charge' thing. Wouldn't surprise me.
Claire 8-)

Mark

Post by Mark » Thu Sep 24, 2015 3:26 pm

I hope not.

Mrsstuzilla

Post by Mrsstuzilla » Thu Sep 24, 2015 4:58 pm

:? Well I currently don't pay any road tax. That's going up to £140 for everybody in, I think, 2017. Euro 6 didn't help much with that.
Claire 8-)

Deleted User 96

Post by Deleted User 96 » Thu Sep 24, 2015 5:45 pm

Mrsstuzilla wrote::? Well I currently don't pay any road tax. That's going up to £140 for everybody in, I think, 2017. Euro 6 didn't help much with that.
Claire not sure if you mean by everybody actually everybody. As far as I'm aware existing road tax brackets will not change for existing cars, so we should still be tax free.