Citroen C4 Cactus Crossover Forum banner

Emissions fault!!!

139K views 70 replies 36 participants last post by  Cactus c4 adblue 
#1 ·
After nearly 6000 miles first the engine warning light then the urea warning light came on :x Then it started counting back from 750 miles to say the engine would not start :( I got it down to 600 miles before I got it to a dealer. The dealer couldn't deal with it for two days and then on the day said his diagnostics computer was down :eek: :eek: :eek: So he just topped up the Blu ( there is no level indicator) and reset the fault :evil:

I'm back on the road but I'm nervous about what will happen next :oops:

I suppose the best spin I could put on it is that the Blu was never properly topped up when the car was delivered as it is supposed to last 12500 miles.

Any other suggestions?

#2 ·
I got a new Toyota for a change 9 years ago and it did not have any oil in it and the warning light did not work. I took it to the dealer saying it keeps overheating on the temperature gauge. It was pure luck that the engine did not seize up. I hated that car and I won't be buying Japanese again. I got rid after 6 months and went on and bought a trusty C3 Hdi.

#3 ·
gravystuffing said:
Any other suggestions?
gravystuffing said:
Any other suggestions?
AdBlue is sold in most Service stations...it looks like large bottles of Screenwash for about £10.

You can fill the reservoir up yourself, the instructions are in the manual and is a case of removing the puncture compressor and tray, unscrewing a cover and a cap. Follow the guidance in the manual and away you go. No need for any dealer resets or anything.

The reason why its run out so soon, I can only think it is due to driving style. When you stop and get out of the car you can hear the AdBlue pump regerating the system and faint wirring sound can be heard. If you are only doing numerous short journeys day in day out then everytime you stop and remove the key the cycle is regenerating.

The other thing to be aware of is that AdBlue has a short shelf life and can deteriorate in cold/hot (as if!) weather or sunlight. There is a possibility that if your car is 12m old, the ECU might be forcing you to fill as opposed to it needing a fill.

#4 ·
Very interesting re ad blue! I have heard that whirring and gurgling sound and thought I was imagining it. :). We had ours topped up when we bought the car in Jan at 10k miles and then again for the 1 year service last month. Should last us a while.

Slightly off topic have been wondering about these new emission laws? If the car has ad blue and a dpf filter surely they can't slap a congestion charge on it for entering certain cities - Southampton being my nearest. It's euro 6 for emissions I hear?

#6 ·
I would hope both Euro 5 and 6 would be covered, however lately there has been alot of focus on city NOX levels and the contribution to this from diesel vehicles. With the focus towards "the more dangerous NOX", I dont think this would include Euro 5....

Euro 5 saw the addtion of Diesel Particulate Filters (DPF) which are installed to catch "soot" in the exaust and either return it into the combustion cycle or burn it off through high heat of the exhaust.

Euro 6 saw the introduction of AdBlue selective non-catalytic reduction which (in addition to a DPF) was introduced to reduce NOX emissions.

Some would say its a conspiracy to buy a new car... ;)

G
#10 ·
Mrsstuzilla said:
:? Well I currently don't pay any road tax. That's going up to £140 for everybody in, I think, 2017. Euro 6 didn't help much with that.
Claire not sure if you mean by everybody actually everybody. As far as I'm aware existing road tax brackets will not change for existing cars, so we should still be tax free.

#13 ·
Urea light and engine management light came on just before Christmas, topped up the ad blue light 8 litres. The urea light went out 6 hours later but the engine management light stayed on. Took it to the dealers who saw the light on, they booked it to check it on the 29th of December. By the time it went in the light had gone out, they checked it out but could not find a fault , a died if lights come back on to bring it back in. Today engine management light back on, service light (not due) is on and urea light warning 650 miles and then will not restart. Back to the dealers when they open.

#18 ·
Just had same same as above...generic engine fault & UREA fault lamp, 700miles remaining until it refuses to start.

Just brimmed the adblue with ~4liters and hoping for the best...if not a call to the dealer tomorrow!

#19 ·
Currently awaiting delivery and installation of:

New Adblue Tank
Pump
Level Sensor

Adblue pump wiring recall complete, as well as bonnet and a/c recalls.

Had a look before it went in I was hedging bets on a split tank or hose. Plenty of evidence of white residue on the NSR underside and after topping up lots of white urea patches left on the drive...

Thankfully all under warranty...

#20 ·
Just to close this off, I had a call this morning to confirm the car is ready for collection.

All in all a large list of items that have been changed in addition to the three recalls outstanding on car. Cant fault the dealer for their efforts as it wasn't anticipated that I would have the car back until Wednesday.

It appears that "there is a known issue with the AdBlue tank" however it is unclear what that might actually be. In one discussion it appears it struggles to know how much AdBlue is left in the tank, where as (unprompted) it was also mentioned that it was split - this might explain the residue down the ns rear chassis.

Either way we are back on the road...

#21 ·
well I can add my 2c : my neighbor had his urea tank replaced twice (still under warranty). same warnings as you. ECU error is P20E8.
now I just got out of warranty ( 3.3 years old C4GP with similar Cactus urea system) and same error jumped too.
I am going to disassemble the tank to parts to see what happened. the tank seems intact. no urea leak whatsoever.
my hunch: technical failure of the injector/pump .
will keep you posted since it seems to spread...

#22 ·
ok. updating: since C4 Picasso II line and C4 Cactus (September 2014+) share same urea tank I dived deeper into autodata and other documents.
there seems to be a change in the tank recently.
if your (1.6Hdi) cactus is using old AdBlue tank (part 9808378080) :my suspicion is it is doomed to fail prematurely.
you will need the new AdBlue tank which includes the new pump module and its part number is: 9818559280.
you can easily identify your AdBlue tank version by looking under the car ( I did it : took one minute to find the number). the number is on the visible side of the tank (not to far away from the rear right wheel).

G
#26 ·
Hi marios,so were did the number 9818559280 come from ,would citroen just update it every couple of years,must say our cactus runs super smooth atm just done 800miles from west midlands to portsmouth then around Normandy,really comfortable,even today in Worcester with aircon on ,keeps cabin cool and is quite quiet with it on,less than a year left on warrenty and we want to keep it ,but don't want any expensive repairs.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.