Importing POI files.

Audio, Navigation, Electronic
Zenkodo

Importing POI files.

Post by Zenkodo » Wed Feb 15, 2017 3:29 pm

Does any one know how to import pints of interest into the satnav ? The RSPB website has various format poi files for downloading. I've found the 'import poi' page on the satnav and it just says insert memory stick with the files on. I've done that, what next ?
1.6 HDi ETG6 Flair. Shark Grey / black air bumps

davew

Re: Importing POI files.

Post by davew » Thu Feb 16, 2017 11:31 am

From reading various forums discussing issues regarding the SMEG + Satnav etc unit (as fitted to various Citroen, and Peugeot vehicles) nobody has managed to achieve a POI upload from a USB stick.

The most likely work round seems to be to enter the locations as "Contacts" .
The RSPB POI list in CSV form should allow itself to be converted the VCF format, which is the usual form of Contact info as stored in phones and tablets and then use the phone to car Bluetooth connection to copy the contacts into the car Satnav.

If not as a bulk list the conversion can be done location by location - I did this successfully for my own POI list for another satnav (In a Toyota) using Excel to perform the individual CSV to VCF conversion and then onto a USB stick.

Zenkodo

Post by Zenkodo » Thu Feb 16, 2017 7:02 pm

davew wrote:
Thu Feb 16, 2017 11:31 am
From reading various forums discussing issues regarding the SMEG + Satnav etc unit (as fitted to various Citroen, and Peugeot vehicles) nobody has managed to achieve a POI upload from a USB stick
Thanks. I'm not alone in failing the upload then :-) odd that there is a menu option for 'import poi' though. I do know they the cactus has imported all my phone contacts, and all I did was pair the phone so, as you say, some method which stores RSPB sites as contacts should be the way to go. Thanks for your useful response.

davew

Post by davew » Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:21 am

You might have already tried this with your phone, but if not, you could try entering into the contacts list one of the RSPB location names and in the address field just write the numerical latitude and longitude separated by a comma. (The RSPB POI CSV file gives the names and lat/long and can be read as a text file)
Then transfer this new contact via bluetooth to the car Satnav and see if its recognised as a valid location.

This should confirm (or not) that this method works...

Zenkodo

Post by Zenkodo » Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:57 pm

davew wrote:
Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:21 am
You might have already tried this with your phone, but if not, you could try entering into the contacts list one of the RSPB location names and in the address field just write the numerical latitude and longitude separated by a comma. (The RSPB POI CSV file gives the names and lat/long and can be read as a text file)
Then transfer this new contact via bluetooth to the car Satnav and see if its recognised as a valid location.

This should confirm (or not) that this method works...
Yes, thanks. I'm sure this would work and I'll enter the local ones as I visit them but it would have been nice to have them all automatically uploaded and showing as POIs. The workaround will only list them as contacts. I'm actually pretty impressed that the phones contact data just appeared on the cactus.

Piggy53

Post by Piggy53 » Sun Dec 20, 2020 12:46 pm

My Tomtom uses a 'file.ov2' format for importing points of interest. Does anyone know what the C4 uses. Is it CSV GPX or OV2 ???
I have just updated to the latest SMEG+ software and uploaded the latest UK map.
It was while doing this I noted a chance of importing POI's

Piggy53

Post by Piggy53 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:09 pm

In my own circumstance I wish to enter geocaching points.
I have done it on my Tomtom's in the past but this SMEG doesn't want to use the same format.

There could be anything up to 5000 points or places to input in the file and then a few months later update the file yet again.

As has been said it is easy enough to find the import page and I have the USB stick.. WTF do I put on it lol....