Sat Nav

Audio, Navigation, Electronic
Rigsby29

Re: Sat Nav

Post by Rigsby29 » Sun Dec 31, 2017 12:28 pm

Yes once you have fitted the new Satan’s head unit get it coded to the car & get the satnav button activated for the display buy a gps aerial & mount it where ever you can, I used a genuine cactus roof aerial & bought an extension lead for it but you can get a under dash gps aerial off Ebay, the only pics I took are already on this thread

davew

Post by davew » Mon Jan 01, 2018 12:45 pm

Rigsby29 wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2017 12:28 pm
Yes once you have fitted the new Satan’s head unit get it coded to the car & get the satnav button activated for the display buy a gps aerial & mount it where ever you can, I used a genuine cactus roof aerial & bought an extension lead for it but you can get a under dash gps aerial off Ebay, the only pics I took are already on this thread
Sat nav aerial outside the car on the roof is by far the best position.
Inside the vehicle the satellite signals will be weaker - additionally for the satnav to function at all, there must be at least 3 satellites received simultaneously (some experts say 4 minimum) at any one instant and some of the possible ones will not be received owing to the screening effects of vehicle metalwork.

The outcome of using an internal aerial can be that the vehicle location is indicated intermittently and incorrectly. It will work sometimes but nothing like as consistently as with an external aerial.

mrscactus

Post by mrscactus » Mon Jan 01, 2018 2:33 pm

Rigsby29 wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2017 12:28 pm
I used a genuine cactus roof aerial & bought an extension lead for it
So you upgraded the original aerial for a 'sat nav capable' one? Do the wires run down the passenger side of the car to the Smeg unit?
Thanks again!

Rigsby29

Post by Rigsby29 » Mon Jan 01, 2018 4:06 pm

The wire for the gps aerial is not fitted as standard, I bought a 5mtr male to female blue fakra cable & routed it along the passenger side

Pjotr4726

Post by Pjotr4726 » Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:51 pm

I've seen on the internet the possibility to connect a smartphone (Android Auto installed) with a usb cable, and you can watch the smartphone screen on your touchscreen in the car. But that doesn't work. What do I need to get in working?

When I buy me a SMEG device with navigation on Ebay, do I've to activate it in the system of my Cactus, or is the only thing to get/buy the code for SMEG?

Rigsby29

Post by Rigsby29 » Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:45 pm

I don’t know about the smartphone sorry, you will need to get a Citroen dealer or auto electrician with lexia to code the new smeg unit to the car & activate the sat nav button

Vacuman

Post by Vacuman » Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:24 pm

I can understand the logic of a proper external GPS cable...but those in my family who simply use Google Maps and Waze on their mobiles never seem to complain of loss of signal. Perhaps all that's needed is the aerial to be by the windscreen?

Return to “Electronics and In Car Entertainment”