Headlight LED conversion

Audio, Navigation, Electronic
ThePreacher

Re: Headlight LED conversion

Post by ThePreacher » Tue Nov 07, 2017 2:47 pm

Anyone know of a white halogen replacement so it sort of matches the leds without going through the led changeover
Cheers

BristolRich

Post by BristolRich » Tue Nov 07, 2017 3:14 pm

You can buy replacement halogen bulbs which burn whiter however their colour temperature is no where near that as provided through an HID install.
Ex - 2014 Hello Yellow Citroën C4 Cactus Hatchback 1.6 BlueHDi 100 Feel Edition

vaho

Post by vaho » Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:54 pm

Finished the “whitening” of the front lights. Fog lights were the last and the least accessible. I have the non turbo petrol and the left fog light is much easier to access from the top through the engine bay. The other side is blocked by the windshield washer tank and has to be changed according to the manual. Unscrew three screws and bend the undertray away. Much easier said than done, it does bend but only a little. You can only bearely fit the hand inside, maybe it is more bendable if there is no engine undertray. I have installed one though earlier. The screws are torx T20.
The led bulbs need a little modification. The one notch marked in the picture of the original bulb is in different place on the led bulb and must be cut off in order to fit the bulb. The two other notches on the other side are in the same place on the led bulb. Forgot to take a picture of the led bulb but you can clearly see the difference when you compare the two.

E82739CE-3DA4-427C-9158-7AB8EC1C988D.jpeg

With low beam:

C63CCAF5-0208-487B-B0A5-21D235426112.jpeg

With high beam:

B3243A39-BEA7-43A2-A6D4-8FFEA6931DD2.jpeg

Citroen Cactus Feel 1.2, 2015, pearl white
Citroen C6 Exclusive 2.7HDI, 2006, black

vaho

Post by vaho » Fri Nov 24, 2017 8:54 am

About the modification. It seems that all the led bulbs for the fog light have one notch in the wrong place. Took random picture from the internet and pointed out the notch that needs to be cut off. See the picture. It is soft plastic so there is no problem.

PS24Wled.jpg

One of the places from where you can buy the fog light (PS24W) bulb:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/2pcs-5W ... eLevelAB=4

vaho

Post by vaho » Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:43 am

More about the lights. Somebody posted a link earlier about possible problems with led bulbs and why they are not allowed. These arguments are perfectly legitimate but the real life is not so complicated. The problem with led bulbs is "light scattering" and therefore possibly blinding oncoming drivers. It can be minimized or avoided though with right bulbs. I learned that the first bulbs that I bought (cheap ones) had no clear light cut off line hence they might have been a bit blinding. This can be overcome with different bulbs. The trick seems to be to install bulbs with narrower chips which are more like the filament of the halogen bulb.

Also a suggestion for high beams. There is not as much room in the housing compared to the low beams so the H1 bulb needs to be smaller (mini) size if possible. Maybe the regular ones can also be fitted as they are not much bigger but since I bought ones from the link below, I can say that there was not much room to spare.

As stated in the first post I initially installed these cheap bulbs and you can clearly see that the chip is rather large:

H7 cheap.jpg

Then I bought these and they are much better and have a light cut off line hence no blinding:

H7-H11 led.jpg

Sometimes it is a trial-error case because the bulbs are all different and maybe there are even better ones out there. The general rule seems to be however that narrow chips mimic the halogen bulb light pattern better.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Hlxg-Mi ... eLevelAB=4

mrscactus

Post by mrscactus » Fri Nov 24, 2017 2:05 pm

@vaho, great info and pics, thanks!
Did you buy from the aliexpress link for the fog light bulbs? I'm tempted but I see a couple of buyers only got sent 1 bulb :o

vaho

Post by vaho » Fri Nov 24, 2017 8:11 pm

No, this link was just an example. I bought these: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/2pcs-Hi ... eLevelAB=4
Arrived rather quickly too, in two weeks or so.

Return to “Electronics and In Car Entertainment”