Citroen C4 Cactus Crossover Forum banner

Rear door speaker installment

15K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  RobertoDiCactus 
#1 ·
This guide is for the Cactus which has only front speakers.
What do you need:
1. Speakers, 6,5 inches or 165 mm.
2. Speaker rings, Citroen part no 6562CV
3. Center pillar connector pins: 4 X 6541G2 + 4 X 6541N5
4. Under dash connector pins: 1 X 6541N5 + 3 X 6541E6
5. Speaker wire 0,75 mm2 and connectors to the speakers
6. Activate fader function, dealer only

I did it in two different stages, first I routed the wires to the center pillars. Start by removing the trim. Start with the center pillar upper white part, bend it out from the bottom up, behind are two screws:
Motor vehicle Vehicle Car Automotive mirror Automotive tire

Next bend the back side trim upwards in order to remove one screw:
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Hood Tread

Now remove the center black trim and one screw from the trim next to the front seat. Remove that piece of trim also.
Next remove the underside trim from the dash and you should see the yellow connector:
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Steering part Automotive exterior Automotive design

In that connector there are speaker wires, you can see that they come in from one side and the opposite side has 4 empty holes:
Circuit component Electrical wiring Finger Electronic engineering Cable

Yellow Motor vehicle Toy Engineering Electrical wiring

The wires are as follows:
Grey: LR-
Brown: LR+
Green: RR+
Purple: RR-
On the empty side of the connector there are three similar size holes and one slightly bigger. Use the pins as described in section 4, connect the wires to the pins and insert them. You have to slide back/out the black part, the pins will not go all the way in otherwise. Now route the cable to the center pillar.
Next remove the back door panel. There are 4 screws, torx T20 and T30:
Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design Automotive lighting

Then it is just pulling, the plastic trim removal tool is helpful. It sits hard and you will brake some fasteners so have some spares ready.
Then remove the white foam insulation panels, applying heat to the glue strips helps. Try not to brake them. Speaker hole has also some foam cover, remove it. Then route the wire through the door rubber boot to the connector. This is the door before speakers, I replaced one of the factory foam panel with thicker one to improve sound insulation:
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Bumper Automotive exterior

The center connector is better to remove when the rear door is closed, just push to the sides and pull. You can also remove the rubber boot first then you can see where to push.
There are lots of empty slots in the connector, the pins described in section 3 go to the bigger ones. The procedure is the same, connect wires and insert pins to both sides. This time you have to slide back the yellow parts in order to insert pins all the way in. I removed one but it is not necessary. I can not explain how to slide them back but if you look at them you figure it out.
Corded phone Gadget Audio equipment Automotive design Cable

Automotive lighting Circuit component Finger Automotive tire Toy

Automotive tire Automotive design Bumper Automotive exterior Auto part

Finally attach the speaker rings or attach the speakers to the rings first, connect the wires to the speaker and put all back.
I learned that aftermarket speakers are not direct fit to the rings, some minor adjustments have to be made, I put some thin foam tape between the ring and the speaker and modified the speaker screw holes a little.
The subwoofer is next.

Good Luck

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
I exceeded the one post attachment limit it seemed.
Speaker rings:
Automotive tire Bicycle part Rim Automotive wheel system Tread

The pins, some of them are not needed, I ordered some extra just in case:
Product Sleeve Font Material property Automotive design

Speaker ring with foam tape:
Automotive tire Tire Wheel Finger Tread

Attachments

#3 ·
Hi Vaho

Stunning! We have the 4 speaker one so not planning any mods ourselves but fantastically generous of you to go to such effort to share such detailed instructions for others to follow.

#4 ·
Thank you!
About the speakers. I have now seen that they sell 7 inch or 170 mm speakers to, the selection is limited though. As said you can install 165 mm speakers but maybe 170 mm is better as they can be more exact fit. On the other hand if they are too big there is not much you can do as opposite to the fact when they are a bit too small.

#5 ·
Hi Vaho,

What a fantastic job. I contacted my local dealer (2 of them) and they denied to enable fader. Contacted Citroen directly and they also declined and said they/their dealers will not do anything that did not come come when car was first bought. It is just so frustrating dealing with them.

#6 ·
Bastards.
I was actually afraid that they will say to me the same thing but fortunately they did not.
There are some options now, you can use a small amplifier and take the signal from front speakers or buy a whole new SMEG radio unit from ebay. I saw that there is a company in England that sells them preconfigured to the VIN of your car, assuming that your dealer will not even make the VIN configuration. These options cost more obviously, because you still have to buy all wires, rings, speakers and connections.

#7 ·
Hi Dude, thanks for your detailed tutorial. Just a question: it seems to me that your Cactus already got those black rubber pipes in which wires run between rear door and car chassis (and connectors as well). Isn't it? My Cactus Feel does not have any. Do you think I can buy them somewhere? Do you have any online source to identifiy factory codes? Thanks in advance!

#8 ·
Hi and sorry for the late reply, it is summer and I spend most of the time outside.

The black rubber pipes/sleeves must be there in every Cactus. The only thing that I can think of is when there is a Cactus without central locking. There must be wires running from pillar to the door to have central locking. Are there any cars today without central locking???

But in case you really need them the Citroen number is 6545NQ and you could source them for 8,80 euros from this site: https://www.carparts-pros.com. Considering the price it is maybe more convenient to order them from the nearest dealership.

#9 ·
I can't tell you how helpful was this information about rear door speaker installment. Thanks a lot. I have Cactus Feel Edition, and there were no rear speakers. If it wasn't for your instructions, I would still have only front speakers. I have made everything the same that you did and people in Citroen offical servis here in Slovenia, smal town Sempeter, were very helpful also, the boss ordered me plastic rings and then when I had speakers installed, they hooked my Cactus to the computer and reset the radio sistem or something like that, and then the signal from radio was released to the rear speakers, and the fader option also on, no problem for them to make this at all, smooth, really smooth.
Thanks again for the help, this was the best tutorial for speaker installment.
And now the subwoofer is next ;)

#10 ·
Hi,

Iv just bought a Cactus and it the Feel spec but has lots of extras... it has rear door speakers fited (Orange cone) front ones are black (stock i assume) the speakers work and produce sound. but hte touch screen doent have a fader option only balance. I havent had time to check out how they are wired up yet but im suspecting they have spliced into the front door speakers :roll:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.