SMEG Crashing / Restarting

Audio, Navigation, Electronic
daftbadger

SMEG Crashing / Restarting

Post by daftbadger » Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:12 pm

Got a weird issue with my media unit when I connect my phone via the USB lead.

As I run Android by default it just uses the USB for the car for charging but when I change it to MIDI output for music etc the SMEG unit seems to freeze for a while then crash and restart.

2016 Catus Flair with a Google Pixel 2XL running Android Oreo.

I am wondering if this is due to old/ bad firmware on the SMEG unit!? Also noticed that skipping songs when streaming via bluetooth takes nearly 4 seconds each time. Help on how to update the system or advice on why this is happening please :D

davew

Re: SMEG Crashing / Restarting

Post by davew » Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:48 pm

daftbadger wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:12 pm
Got a weird issue with my media unit when I connect my phone via the USB lead.

As I run Android by default it just uses the USB for the car for charging but when I change it to MIDI output for music etc the SMEG unit seems to freeze for a while then crash and restart.

2016 Catus Flair with a Google Pixel 2XL running Android Oreo.

I am wondering if this is due to old/ bad firmware on the SMEG unit!? Also noticed that skipping songs when streaming via bluetooth takes nearly 4 seconds each time. Help on how to update the system or advice on why this is happening please :D
According to the Cactus User manual, referring to the USB port
"The system supports USB mass storage devices, BlackBerry® devices or Apple® players via USB ports."
No mention of Android.
The several second bluetooth delay for streaming music has been a "feature" since the car came on the market and also annoys owners of other PSA vehicles having the same SMEG unit. It is believed to be caused by a Bluetooth buffer but no improvement update has ever been released that overcomes this specific issue.

daftbadger

Post by daftbadger » Fri Feb 02, 2018 2:22 pm

Thanks davrew I have seen people online mentioning the use of Android over USB isn't an issue if you use the USB option not the iPod one. Even if it didn't support it I wouldn't expect the whole system to crash and restart.

chwalters

Post by chwalters » Fri Feb 02, 2018 4:05 pm

My experience has been that if you use USB the SMEG will try and scan the device every few minutes, if it can't connect or scan the device it displays an error and reverts to radio. This happens when music is playing on Bluetooth already, so no matter what, if something gets plugged into the USB port (even if you intend just to have it charged) the SMEG will try and scan it. In my case, the scan fails, it interrupts music playing via Bluetooth, shows an alert warning then switches to radio. Just what happens to me... If you want the phone to be successfully used as a jukebox I think there is an Android setting to allow the device to be used for media, not sure about Oreo though.

daftbadger

Post by daftbadger » Sun Feb 04, 2018 6:01 pm

You are right chwalters.
With Android Oreo (like other versions), you can set the connected device to MIDI for music output. Since updating the firmware on my SMEG+ unit I am unable to choose USB when my phone is connected even in MIDI mode.

chwalters

Post by chwalters » Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:17 pm

I will try an Android phone and let you know if it works for me, guess it won't help that much other than to act as another data point for you.

Return to “Electronics and In Car Entertainment”