Latest firmware

Audio, Navigation, Electronic
Redandwhiteliz

Re: Latest firmware

Post by Redandwhiteliz » Thu Apr 04, 2019 8:12 am

pesgaio wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:02 pm
To everyone who's getting the "no music files found" error - You must place the files in a folder named SMEG_PLUS_UPG.
If your pen is in drive E, the files must be in E:\SMEG_PLUS_UPG\
Sorry if sound dim.

I have downloaded the files, unpacked, folder is currently called 42028. Do I simply rename this folder and try again? I am getting the no music files pop up, how do I get around this? Do I need to leave the stick in for a long time before it decides there is something for it to do?

Some people have said it is easy and all automatic, mine just wants to wind me up. I just want the updated maps more than anything else as even on the way home, it still notes there is a roundabout that vanished over 3 years ago

cactuslarisa

Post by cactuslarisa » Thu Apr 04, 2019 9:04 am

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=4468&p=26210&hilit=map#p26210

Extract the contents of the 42028 zip file to the pen drive, not all the 42028 file.
Rip Curl 1.6 BlueHDi 100 S&S Olive Brown (Tapenade Grey) Without sunroof

cactusRipCurl2016

Post by cactusRipCurl2016 » Tue Oct 22, 2019 11:32 am

Since I still see a bit of confusion and I also struggled a bit with the update I will post my conclusions. I updated to version 5.43.A.R2 (https://mega.nz/#F!ntEhlLTR!2TjMy1eo-Yf9q13MbVrnYA) in my Cactus Rip Curl 2016:

- use the oldest USB stick you can get! I got it to work on a 8 GB stick from 2006. Before that I tried with a newer Sony 16 GB stick and it wasn't even recognized. I guess this is a usb driver issue.

- format the USB stick to FAT32 (availible usb capacitiy will be 4 GB)

- unzip (I used 7zip) the file to the usb stick. when you open the usb stick you should see only the folder "SMEG_PLUS_UPG". If you check the size on Windows it will be 1.09 GB. The "SMEG_PLUS_UPG" folder contains multiple folders (AUDIO_BT, NAV,....) and files (AUDIO_BT_256_ctrl.bin, ...)

- start the car and insert the usb stick. After a while you should see a system dialog asking you to upgrade. Select "Yes". After that you wait and follow the instructions. Basically you don't need to do anything. The system will restart a few times.

- you can drive while the system gets updated. It took me around 20-30 min to upgrade.

- when it's done it will normally boot to the main screen. If it asks you again to upgrade select "No" an put the usb stick out.

- navigation didn't work for me after that (no maps). After turning off the car and leaving it during night everything worked normally next morning. Probably it would have worked right away after turning it off and back on.

So, "easy"!...but only if you do everything as Citroen has expected. :D

Jonovich

Post by Jonovich » Tue Oct 22, 2019 2:24 pm

So they install fancy stop start hardware to save a few seconds of engine idling at traffic lights, but then require you to sit with the engine running for 20 minutes to update the firmware? WTF Citroen?

Jono

cactusRipCurl2016

Post by cactusRipCurl2016 » Tue Oct 22, 2019 3:40 pm

Jonovich wrote:
Tue Oct 22, 2019 2:24 pm
So they install fancy stop start hardware to save a few seconds of engine idling at traffic lights, but then require you to sit with the engine running for 20 minutes to update the firmware? WTF Citroen?

Jono
Well, that's the harsh reality of software. :) You can apply that logic to any phone/tablet/pc,... and that's exactly what the onboard display is - a somewhat regular tablet...and also a cheap one. :twisted: ;)

Jonovich

Post by Jonovich » Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:30 pm

cactusRipCurl2016 wrote:
Tue Oct 22, 2019 3:40 pm
Well, that's the harsh reality of software. :)
The harsh reality of badly implemented software... :lol: more like :lol:

stoian

Post by stoian » Thu Oct 24, 2019 11:53 am

Yesterday I updated my 2016 Cactus to the latest version (and probably the last) following the notes by @cactusRipCurl2016

Decided to make a step-by-step guide for people who feel less confident in their tech knowledge. Hopefully some of you will find it helpful - and once again props to @cactusRipCurl2016 and everyone before him who shared links and tips on how it's done.

Just to be clear, this is a totally unofficial guide! The procedure is fairly simple but as with all firmware updates, there is a very slight chance something may go wrong. Use at your own risk!

Step 1. Download the latest firmware (the only one from 2018) from this link: https://mega.nz/#F!ntEhlLTR!2TjMy1eo-Yf9q13MbVrnYA

Step 2. The file you downloaded comes in an archive, you have to unzip it first. If you don't have software for that, download and install 7-Zip, it's free: https://www.7-zip.org/ There is only one folder in the .7z file - unzip it somewhere you can find it. You will transfer the whole folder on a USB stick later.

Step 3. Insert a USB stick. If you have files on it - transfer them to your PC or delete them, as we have to format the drive so that the car can read it. All files currently on the drive will be lost when formatting it. Once you are done, go to This PC (or My Computer in earlier versions of Windows) and find the USB drive you have inserted. If you are unsure which one it is, just unplug it and insert it again, watch what will show up there. In my case, it is USB Drive (F:).

Step 4. Right click on the drive icon, select "Format...". In the new popup window, change the file system to be FAT32 and Allocation unit size to be "Default allocation size". Here is what it should look like:
Some USB drives may not work, as reported by other people. You need a drive that is 2GB+ in size, it should be fairly easy to find another one to use if yours is not recognized by the car.

Step 5. Drag and drop the folder from step 2 in the newly formatted drive. Wait until the files are transferred (it would take about a minute depending on your hardware). After the file transfer finishes, this is what your USB drive should look like:

Unplug it (preferably ejecting it first via the right click menu on the drive icon) and go to your beloved Cactus.

Step 6. Start the car, once the infotainment system loads, press and hold the Settings button for a few seconds until the service screen shows up. This is what it looks like:

This will show you your current firmware version and the release date. Needless to say, if you are already on the latest version, no need to update at all.

Step 7. Insert the USB stick you configured. If the car recognizes there is an update file on it, it will scan it. That may take a while, but pay attention. Once the scan is done, a new message will be displayed prompting you to update. This is what it looks like:

Verify that a new version of the software will be installed and tap on Yes.
Note that this is a timed popup, it will only stay for a couple of seconds. If you miss it, unplug the USB stick and insert it again. You will have to wait for the files to be scanned again.

Step 8. Make sure you have enough fuel to keep the engine running while the update takes place. As reported, it may take up to about 30 minutes to complete. In my case it only took about 6-7 minutes. It is very important to keep the engine running. Just in case, you may want to disable the Stop/Start system before you begin as well. Your car will restart the infotainment system a few times while updating, this is normal. This is what the screen looks like while updating:

Step 9. Once the update is done, the car will once again scan the files on the USB stick. A popup will appear asking if you want to update when the scan is completed, but this time the current version number and the update version number (below it) will be the same. At this point select No and unplug the USB stick, we are done. Turn the engine off, wait for a couple of minutes, then start the car. Go to the service screen from step 6 and verify that you now have the latest version of the firmware.

GP83

Post by GP83 » Thu Aug 27, 2020 1:55 pm

Do you have to download all the files linked and unzipped to your USB stick and then plug it in on your car?

thetapeworm

Post by thetapeworm » Thu Aug 27, 2020 2:03 pm

Yes, unzip and there should then just be one folder on the root of the USB called "SMEG_PLUS_UPG".
'16 Flair Edition - Obsidian Black - BlueHDi 100

GP83

Post by GP83 » Thu Aug 27, 2020 2:15 pm

Thank you, just seen the step by step, so going to try that 😊