Citroen C4 Cactus Crossover Forum banner

How to update maps

50K views 29 replies 18 participants last post by  mdmesher 
#1 ·
Hi All,

I see lots of people having issues updating their maps and having had this fight myself yesterday I thought I would post what I did in here. It's not an easy process nor is it very straightforward but I hope this helps.

First you need to get a link to download it and a code. To do this download the my citroen app from the google play store and link it to your car. Under the documents tab of the app there is an option for vehicle touch screen and you'll be able to e-mail yourself a download link and an activation code.

You need a USB pen drive large enough to take 16gb. The pen drive must be formated as a FAT32 drive. Windows 10 by default tries to use exFAT and this wont work additionally drives over 32gb may not show the option to format as FAT32. If you plug in your pen drive go to file explorer > this PC and you'll see the pen drive listed. Right click it and select properties and you can see what format the drive is

If it's not FAT32 the car wont recognise it. If you right click the drive again and select format you may have the option for FAT32 available. If the drive is over 32GB windows will always try and use exFAT so you need to use the little tool here http://www.ridgecrop.demon.co.uk/index.htm?guiformat.htm note that if you do format it with this you then can't copy files over 4gb in one go.

Now that you have your drive and the downloaded file containing the map update use winzip, winrar, 7zip or windows to extract the contents of the zip file to the pen drive. Everything should be on the root of the drive like this

Jump in the car, turn the engine on and stick the radio on as you'll be here a while. Plug in the USB drive in any port and you should see the following

then

After this it rather annoyingly vanishes and your left wondering whats gone wrong. Select the red square then you should see an option for search or countries.

you should then see this

If you select your country here it'll pop up with the update options. It has every country but you can untick the ones you don't need. Once selected click finish down in the corner

it'll prompt you for the key that you got with your download link either in the app or on your e-mail.

after that it should run through and give you a confirmation once it's finished

Note that it took a good 15 minutes to update one country so I would think if you do them all it'll take ages. I intend to use the pen drive for music after this and it also needs to remain as FAT32 but just note you can't then copy all your music in bulk as it'll freak at anything over 4gb. Sorry for the slightly blurred off center pics but I hope this helps.

See less See more
#3 ·
Yes I agree..Many thanks for that. The explanation re Windows 10 and ex FAT32 is probably why so many efforts go wrong..Many thanks...Mind you my next car will have android auto and give up on complicated built in sat navs.

#4 ·
thank you, I am glad it may be of use to someone as the process is far from straightforward. :lol: I at first thought I could get away with exFAT too so I assume many people would think that and FAT32 were one and the same. Especially given windows 10 wont give you the option to format the drive using FAT32 in most cases.

#5 ·
Nice one :geek:

Notes from an inquest :
Judge: Do we have another explanation other than suicide ?
Witness: Yes M'lud, the deceased sat in his car in his garage with the engine running, to update the European map data base in one go.

Stay safe :D

#6 ·
Just updated the maps on my new Cactus with Tomtom based navigation. The problem still exists with exFAT, and the USB needs to be formatted in FAT32 otherwise it will not be recognised. The zipped file once downloaded is 16 gig, and too big to be transferred to a FAT32 Drive, so you need to unzip it on your PC and unzip onto or transfer the files onto the Drive once unzipped. Turn off the eco function which stops the engine idling and once you put the USB drive in the car port it recognises it and asks if you want to update. Press Yes, and that's it. Took over 40 minutes, sitting in the car with the engine running, but it is the whole of Europe latest 7.0.0-r0 version.

It's a lot easier than the screens shown in this thread. Just got to update the touchscreen now, latest firmware version is 31-08-05-86. I wonder how long that will take....?

#7 ·
Stevew684 said:
Just updated the maps on my new Cactus with Tomtom based navigation. The problem still exists with exFAT, and the USB needs to be formatted in FAT32 otherwise it will not be recognised. The zipped file once downloaded is 16 gig, and too big to be transferred to a FAT32 Drive, so you need to unzip it on your PC and unzip onto or transfer the files onto the Drive once unzipped. Turn off the eco function which stops the engine idling and once you put the USB drive in the car port it recognises it and asks if you want to update. Press Yes, and that's it. Took over 40 minutes, sitting in the car with the engine running, but it is the whole of Europe latest 7.0.0-r0 version.

It's a lot easier than the screens shown in this thread. Just got to update the touchscreen now, latest firmware version is 31-08-05-86. I wonder how long that will take....?
Hi Stevew684 for me it never opened up on first entering the USB so I never saw any option to automatically start the update. Hence all the screenshots and pictures :D I guess if the drive isnt recognised at first or you only want to update specific maps then my guide may help. Fingers crossed most people will have the same experience as you and it'll just start the full update on plugging in the drive.

I havent updated the firmware yet I was a little wary about doing that as I hadnt received an official download link for it through the app or anything. I also wanted to review any new features guide or document for the firmware but I couldn't find what it's actually changing.

#9 ·
Correct, I am referring to updating a 2018 Cactus with the TomTom navigation system....... The system updated ok, took about 45 mins for the maps of Europe and 25 mins for the system update.

#12 ·
Thanks for a very helpful guide. The screens on my Citroen C4 Picasso were different but I was able to correct the mistakes I had been making. Firstly I had been using a 64gb USB with the format xFAT. I found by using a new 16gb USB with the FAT32 format I was halfway there. My other error was opening the folders on the Zip file before transferring the data to the usb. I then tried transferring the folders and data in the order shown after opening the Zip download. The UK mapping was updated in under six minutes with the engine running on entering the activation code.
So pleased I came across your instructions.

#16 ·
I've managed to update now after help from a member on the FB forum.

In my case there were a couple of steps missing/needing to be explained so I could progress.

When the message 'checking compatibility' disappears.....

PRESS THE RED SQUARE then,

MAP SETTINGS then,

MAPS,

then click SEARCH.

It will say 'CHECKING UPDATE' then click CONFIRM.

untick all the countries you don't want and click FINISH.

THEN it will ask you for the product key. :D

#21 ·
Hi Everyone,

I bought a Citroen c4 2016 connectNav usedcar recently. I have problem with navigation system. I could never see maps as it keep saying insert mapping update memory stick. If I don't update I'll it not load maps? I also tried updating but it says "Zero free bytes". How to Check Memory and is there any memory stick for navigation? It's been 1 month since I bought and I couldn't use navigation yet, it's very frustrating. Please suggest some solution

#26 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.