Stock speaker crossovers?

Audio, Navigation, Electronic
AdamGB

Stock speaker crossovers?

Post by AdamGB » Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:58 am

Hi, apologies if this has already been asked but a search didn't find any answers.

I've taken a pair of hertz speakers out of my old car, woofers/tweeters with a crossover.

I know the stock tweeters are mounted in the dash rather than the door card, does anyone know if these come out of a crossover or directly from the head unit?

I'm hoping it's the latter as I'm reluctant to dismantle the dash if I don't need to, I'm hoping I can splice the crossover into the existing cables and simply replace the relevant speakers.

If there is a crossover, where is it located?

I've seen a YouTube video of someone replacing their cactus speakers, but he splices a filter onto the tweeter, but I'd rather use the crossover matched for my specific tweeter for fidelity.

Lakii

Re: Stock speaker crossovers?

Post by Lakii » Tue Jan 01, 2019 6:47 pm

Hi,

There is no crossover, just a small capacitor stuck on the tweeter.
The wires run parallel to the door speakers and the tweeters in the dashboard.

I've upgraded the music system im my Cactus, it's not that difficult, here's the link to my post on another forum.
The text is in croatian, but take look at the links and pictures.
I'm here if you've got any questions...

https://www.citroenforum.hr/155336-post1.html

https://www.citroenforum.hr/149199-post190.html

snowblind

Post by snowblind » Wed Feb 06, 2019 2:01 pm

Ok, if the cables run parallel where i can find them to split so i can install the crossovers?
thank you

Lakii

Post by Lakii » Wed Feb 06, 2019 6:59 pm

The SMEG unit is under the glovebox, well, on LHD car it's under the glovebox!

See, the shiny thing in the right corner:

Anyway, on the back of the unit is the quadlock connector and the wires for the speakers start there.

I suggest that you don't cut the original wiring harness, instead buy the adapter and cut into that:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Most-Quadlock- ... 2749.l2649

Run new wires to the tweeters from the crossovers and leave the crossovers somewhere near the SMEG unit, there's plenty of space!
You didn't mention which Hertz speakers you have, but their crossovers are pretty large and I think that is the only place you can fit them!

snowblind

Post by snowblind » Thu Feb 07, 2019 7:29 am

Thank you very much for suggestions, why I cannot use actual wires to the tweeters just connecting them to crossovers? will I be able to use old wires as guides to pass new ones or i'll have to unmount all consolle? thank you

snowblind

Post by snowblind » Thu Feb 07, 2019 7:31 am

and my I ask you another suggestion? if i want to add a small jbl underseat sub that i already have from previous car, where would you suggest to take 10amp? directly to the battery or somewhere else?

davemk39

Post by davemk39 » Thu Feb 07, 2019 2:50 pm

have you seen these videos?

yellow 1.2 puretech 82 feel

Lakii

Post by Lakii » Fri Feb 08, 2019 6:01 pm

OK, as for the tweeter wires...

I'm not sure where the wires for the front two channels form the HU branch off to the doors and the dashboard.

If you use the original wiring, well, you void your warranty. And there will be some cutting and splicing so returning everything to stock will be harder.
The biggest problem is that if you use the original wiring you need to fit the crossover exactly at the branching piont for the front woofers and tweeters. I have no idea where it is and it would include cutting into the cars wiring looms.

Or use two pairs of crossovers. The problem then is that you dont have enough space behind the tweetrs to fit the crossovers.

You still haven't mentioned what speakers you plan to install (pretty important)...

As for routing new wires..
You can route them allong the wiring looms that run inside the dasboard. All of the panels are clip-on so everything is easy do dissasmble. You just need to know in which direction to pull...

If you want to use an amp, you need to find a high level input amp because the SMEG unit does not have low level outputs.
(actually it can be programmed to give low level output, but you need diagbox for that)
And you need to splice into the original wiring.
Use the front channels as inputs for the amp because the rear channels are heavily processed by the SMEG HU and they have no bass!

For powering the amp, run the wire directly form the battery because if you take power from anywhere else the cars ECU can go crazy with all kinds of error warnings because of uncontrolled battery consumption.

Lakii

Post by Lakii » Fri Feb 08, 2019 6:19 pm

For everyone out there!

If you want to improve the sound in your Cactus i suggest the following:

1. Sound deadening the doors and removing the original foams and covers under the door cards (and replacing them with deadening material) because they are the main reason the sound in the Cactus is so bad.
Just installing better speakers does not solve this.

2. New speakers - a good step but the SMEG unit is going to limit the power and the quality of the sound. Not worth it in my opinion if you do not plan to use an amp and DSP.

3. Amp + DSP - the only thing you need to be carefull with here is the fact that the SMEG unit does not have low level outputs.
The DSP is needed because the original signal from the HU is heavily processed.
I used this:
https://www.audiotec-fischer.de/en/matc ... ers/m-5dsp

4. Rear speaker upgade is just not worth it but you need the rear speakers because the warning beeps for reverse parking come from the rear channels! Again, diagbox can fix this...

So, first try just step 1, then 2+3! :mrgreen:

...or just go crazy an do it all! :lol:

Helpfull links:

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=3017

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lf-Rk73MtZQ

PS. there are tons of upgrade kits for C4's, P207 and P208 that can fit the Cactus that include upgraded speakers, amps and underseat subs. Of even a spare tire sub box...

snowblind

Post by snowblind » Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:47 am

thank you very much for your help, now I have ideas more clear. At the moment I got the helix 6 speakers, crossover are very little and splitted so i guess i don't have to run new wires the day i'll do the job casue i can find a place for them. I ordered a macrom amp/dsp that you can see here

http://www.macrom.it/manuals/Amplifiers ... 01_ENG.pdf

and with the BMW/VW/AUDI quadlock cable i guess I can install in plug and play...i'll check pin before install it

I got stp black silver sheet to absorb vibrations as you did here
https://www.citroenforum.hr/155336-post1.html
but one thing is still not clear to me, when you put adesive absorber sheets on holes or if you remove original foam from hole and put that ones how this adesive attach? just on the border and remain free inside with adesive on the air in the hole or you put somehing to cover the hole before attach absorber? thank you