Citroen C4 Cactus Crossover Forum banner

Radio cutting out/ restarting

11K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  doylesi 
#1 ·
Hi, wondering if anyone has experience of the problem we are having with our 2016 C4 Cactus flair. The radio plays for anything from 5 to 10 minutes then cuts out, the Citroen sign comes up for 2 or 3 minutes then the radio restarts. This stop start continues while driving. We have had the car for 1 1/2 years but still have 6 months left on the warranty supplied. We haven't been back to the dealer at present due to the pandemic so was wondering if this is a common problem.

#2 ·
There are many threads on 4 different Citroen forums concerning restarting of screens almost exclusively with 2016 cars. This usually occurs when the DAB radio is tuned to a BBC station. You probably need a firmware update, which you can have done by Citroen, or you can do it yourself. Get in touch with Citroen. This issue is so prevalent that they should all know about it by now.

If you wish to update yourself I suggest you read this huge thread. https://www.cactusforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=3563

#6 ·
Have checked with other Citroen forums and found this is a very common problem on 2016 models. Appears that when tuned to BBC2 on DAB this is the cause of the radio cutting out and restarting. But on any other DAB station there is no problem. For the past two weeks I have had no problems using the radio on other stations. Radio 2 I now use FM.
Seemingly the BBC changed the way DAB was broadcast and this has caused these radios to cut out and Citroen are aware of this. They wanted £84 plus vat to do diagnostic check which would have had no results. Needless to say I cancelled my appointment and so far no problems.

#7 ·
thanks for the update. I think the issue with mine might be more terminal as it's no longer confined to just DAB and bluetooth but shuts down completely when tuned to FM too. I'm wondering about buying a replacement touchscreen off ebay, installation looks fairly straightforward.

#8 ·
update: I took the cover off the back to see how easy it would be to swap over a replacement touchscreen unit. There are three lots of wires going into the back and the white one was straightforward but the brown and black were proving a bit more fiddly. While trying to get to grips with them, I accidentally turned the radio on although the screen was completely blank. Out of curiosity I reconnected the white lead which brought the screen to life then I left it and timed 10 mins of trouble free playing before I turned it off again, it had previously cut out at regular intervals of approx 2mins. Maybe I've accidentally fixed it?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.