Dash removal for radio access

Interior and Exterior bodywork
Jerry99

Dash removal for radio access

Post by Jerry99 » Mon Feb 03, 2020 9:58 am

2018 Cactus

In our nearly new secondhand Cactus have damaged the sat nav aerial connector behind the radio (trying to add another circuit). The wires are too short to access from the front and in order to repair this I need to safely remove the unit and then safely reinstall it once I have fixed the connector issue.

Seems to me that I need to remove the dashboard top - which unlike other cars I have worked on recently seems to be in two parts (one with glove box, airbags and display panels the other with dash top vents and speakers).

Does anyone have the factory manual pages for this or some detailed instructions. I am a skilled home mechanic who has worked on several car interiors but I have always had a factory manual extract to explain where everything is and I don't won't to make things worse.

DavidP

Re: Dash removal for radio access

Post by DavidP » Mon Feb 03, 2020 5:01 pm

I'm not sure if a workshop manual has ever been produced for the Cactus. A resource I've found useful is http://service.citroen.com.

You have to register as a "pretend" independent dealer.

Once you do that, you'll have access to parts numbers and diagrams for free. If you want to find out how to remove/replace a specific part you will see a tab "Repair Procedures", you should find what you need. This service is chargeable though. How it works is you buy access time. A one hour "subscription" costs €7 or about £6. What I've done in the past is use the hour to download as many repair operations as I think I might need in the future, saving the pages as pdf's so I can look at them at my leisure in the future.

Hope this helps

Jerry99

Re: Dash removal for radio access

Post by Jerry99 » Mon Feb 03, 2020 9:20 pm

David
Thank you - that sounds very useful and I will give a try. My other cars have been models also sold in the USA and such sites are common there.

In the mean time I have looked at various parts on ebay and it seems that the dash is largely one piece but that the glove box and airbag switch surround are a separate part that clips in. Hopefully removing this will give some access to the radio and other wiring under the dash.