Squeaky shifter knob

Interior and Exterior bodywork
Lakii

Squeaky shifter knob

Post by Lakii » Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:37 pm

Hi guys!

Now that it got hotter outside, the shifter knob has developed an irritating squeak. The glossy inserts are squeaking against the main body of the knob.

Does anybody else have the same problem?

And, how to fix this?

Manturian

Re: Squeaky shifter knob

Post by Manturian » Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:32 am

hi.

Try a squirt of WD 40 and see how it goes.

Do let the forum know if it sorts it.

Regards

Manturian

Lakii

Post by Lakii » Tue Apr 24, 2018 5:01 pm

WD40 can dissolve plastic!
Plus, the smell is someting i do not want inside the car...

I was thinking something like silicone grease if I can take the knob apart or some silicone spray...

...update comming soon.

Canuto

Post by Canuto » Fri Apr 27, 2018 5:16 pm

WD40 could also, potentially, make the case worse. It dries out over time (weeks, months) after having dissolved much of the grease/oil that was there in the first place - making the grinding/squeaking even worse. WD40 creeps very well, and is often very good for getting oily stuff into rusty bolts/nuts, but as a long term lubricant; no. Nothing beats tiny amounts of soft silicone, as suggested. Just don't soil anything in the car, especially the glass parts - it will not come off. Vaseline is another option - it lasts quite long, at least a decade or two before it goes stale. 8-)

Cactused

Post by Cactused » Tue May 08, 2018 7:45 pm

Yep - same problem. Over the hot weekend it was squeaking like a mouse, quite annoying :D I was thinking of taking it apart and re-fixing with some adhesive, but the silicone spray sounds like a good idea. I have some, i'll let you know if it works..

davew

Post by davew » Wed May 09, 2018 9:00 am

I'd avoid silicone products if you are going to put your hand on the item ... that would be a certain way to spread it onto the steering wheel, door handle etc...

Return to “Interior and Exterior Cosmetics”