Citroen C4 Cactus Crossover Forum banner

So what tyres are we all using?

50K views 50 replies 23 participants last post by  Anonymous 
#1 ·
What tyres are you using and for which Cactus?

Mines the diesel and at the moment I have the standard supplied Goodyear 205/50R17 89V Effcient Grip (with the rim protection lip)

These have now been replaced by Goodyear with Efficient Grip Performance. The 'new' EGP tyres cannot be mixed with an old EG tyre on the same axle as there are steering issues

Mine's coming up to 17k miles and looks like I'll be needing new soon so thought I'd find out what everyone else uses.

To replace mine with the new EGP tyres ASDA Tyres do them for £98.34 each which includes disposal of old tyre, new valves, balancing, and fitting. But seeing as they don't seem to have a very long life, I was thinking of getting a different make.

#28 ·
Coypars said:
I don't do a lot of miles so didn't see the need for expensive tyres,so done a search on tyre shopper,and found good reviews on autogreen tyres.Fitted at National tyres for £90 the pair and have found them to be decent.
Quiet and smooth running,National tyres quoted £64 a tyre but cheaper going through tyre shopper who are linked with National tyres.
It isn't the number of miles that is important, it is what grip you have at the instant you need it!

#30 ·
routemaster1 said:
Coypars said:
I don't do a lot of miles so didn't see the need for expensive tyres,so done a search on tyre shopper,and found good reviews on autogreen tyres.Fitted at National tyres for £90 the pair and have found them to be decent.
Quiet and smooth running,National tyres quoted £64 a tyre but cheaper going through tyre shopper who are linked with National tyres.
It isn't the number of miles that is important, it is what grip you have at the instant you need it!
My cheap Chinese tyres are absolutely fine in the wet, on cornering, comfort and quietness. Initially what tended to let the grip down was Citroen's inaccurate tracking settings on the Goodyears. Now that has been adjusted by a backstreet garage who fitted the Chinese tyres, the grip is superb with NO skidding on acceleration or braking.

The dealerships highly sophisticated tracking equipment which needs constant calibration is just an expensive gadget where more hands on devices still do a satisfactory job.

#31 ·
I posted a while ago on this thread. It seems I may have touched a nerve or two. I really apologise for that, but I have a good reason for only using high quality tyres. I appreciate that some asian made tyres may be good, but using a well known European or American made brand means you know what you are getting.

The reason I only buy well-known brands is that I have had two occasions when I have had to use emergency braking; unfortunately I could not avoid the accidents but the tyres may have mitigated the damage. The first occasion was in 2008, when someone in a Saab pulled out in front of me whilst I was doing about 60 mph on a trunk road on a bright summer morning. Despite emergency braking and trying to steer away, I hit it at high speed and wrote the car off (a Clio). Luckily I came away with only a minor bump on my head.

The second occasion was in a C3.

Dashcam footage:

On this occasion, again the Michelin tyres couldn't prevent the crash, and again the car was written off. I was virtually uninjured, but my wife was badly bruised. I would add that in both cases the other party was considered to be entirely to blame.

So, having this happen to me twice, completely out of the blue, I would not compromise on my own safety and that of others.

#32 ·
Rubik said:
routemaster1 said:
Coypars said:
My cheap Chinese tyres are absolutely fine in the wet, on cornering, comfort and quietness. Initially what tended to let the grip down was Citroen's inaccurate tracking settings on the Goodyears. Now that has been adjusted by a backstreet garage who fitted the Chinese tyres, the grip is superb with NO skidding on acceleration or braking.

The dealerships highly sophisticated tracking equipment which needs constant calibration is just an expensive gadget where more hands on devices still do a satisfactory job.
routemaster1 said:
I posted a while ago on this thread. It seems I may have touched a nerve or two. I really apologise for that, but I have a good reason for only using high quality tyres. I appreciate that some asian made tyres may be good, but using a well known European or American made brand means you know what you are getting.

The reason I only buy well-known brands is that I have had two occasions when I have had to use emergency braking; unfortunately I could not avoid the accidents but the tyres may have mitigated the damage. The first occasion was in 2008, when someone in a Saab pulled out in front of me whilst I was doing about 60 mph on a trunk road on a bright summer morning. Despite emergency braking and trying to steer away, I hit it at high speed and wrote the car off (a Clio). Luckily I came away with only a minor bump on my head.

The second occasion was in a C3.

Dashcam footage:

On this occasion, again the Michelin tyres couldn't prevent the crash, and again the car was written off. I was virtually uninjured, but my wife was badly bruised. I would add that in both cases the other party was considered to be entirely to blame.

So, having this happen to me twice, completely out of the blue, I would not compromise on my own safety and that of others.
I have just replaced both front tyres on my Cactus. This is the second set of cheap Chinese tyres of which the first set have performed remarkably well. They may not have covered the full 25,000 miles on the front wheels but I calculate I have got around 18,000 miles out of them and they still had 3mm of tread left.

Another point worth mentioning is front wheel tracking is also very important as this reflects on the tyre adhesion on the road. Citroens settings were inaccurate rendering the car wanting to skid from wheel to wheel when accelerating quickly in a straight line. My back street tyre supplier adjusted the tracking. The car now steers straight, no pulling to the side, no skidding on acceleration, no excessive tyre wear. Of course when the Citroen dealership got the car in for a service they checked the tracking and said "Don't come back to us crying when the tyres wear out quickly" This has turned out to be a load of bollocks.

What is better is both tyres including valves and balancing £102.00 not £240 if they were Goodyears.

Attachments

#34 ·
My front tyres are beginning to thin a bit (at 4mm their almost gone and grip is at a premium at the front in the piss) So going to go for a front set of 215 x 60 x 16 B+B+ 68db. Asked my local tyre fitter and he says ` at the front thicker is better` ( I don't know if he means me or the treads. :D) And 215` s will slip over the standard alloy and stick out enough to stop pavement rim damage at parking speed.

Going to replace the rear ones in late October . as its the start of the rainy season up in Scottyland. ;)

#36 ·
CactiBhoy said:
My front tyres are beginning to thin a bit (at 4mm their almost gone and grip is at a premium at the front in the piss) So going to go for a front set of 215 x 60 x 16 B+B+ 68db. Asked my local tyre fitter and he says ` at the front thicker is better` ( I don't know if he means me or the treads. :D) And 215` s will slip over the standard alloy and stick out enough to stop pavement rim damage at parking speed.

Going to replace the rear ones in late October . as its the start of the rainy season up in Scottyland. ;)
Your going to hate me saying this but road holding is only rubber on tarmac. Softer rubber may be less miles but better road holding.
I just love my cheap Chinese tyres, softer compound, better road holding and less decibels.

#37 ·
Your going to hate me saying this but road holding is only rubber on tarmac. Softer rubber may be less miles but better road holding.
I just love my cheap Chinese tyres, softer compound, better road holding and less decibels.
[/quote]
Nope compound trashes all. I had a set of Pirelli 056`s 175x55 x14 on my Fiat Uno and then went to a set of Bridgestones 880y and they were 195x55x14 so as you say fatter isn`t always better. I measure tyres by rule of thumb (or hands with) two hands together (thumbs in) 175. Two hands ( thumbs out nails touching) 195. But I do have big hands. Ohh and both hands one thumb out is 185 and both hands thumbs in. TWO BLACK EYES AND A BROKEN JAW
:lol:

#38 ·
My Cactus came with Continental tyres, but the fronts are approaching 3.5mm so most likely be changing sometime in the next six months. On past cars I don't usually go for high end tyres because really you'd want to get the maximum mileage out of them and stopping distances greatly deteriorate towards the end, so I'll change once below 3mm. Does the compound component get revealed on tyres, after all a selling point of tyres is often how long they last with people getting attracted to the longer lasting claims of higher costing tyres, when if you think about it most people in a tricky situation would surely want better grip than longevity of the tyre. Just like in formula 1 soft compound tyres give better grip but need changing more often. So really rather than concentrating on brands is what compound people prefer a better discussion? However I feel this could be experience related. For instance if you've driven for years, decades even, never had an accident or been saved by stopping distance of good grip, then I can see why going for tyres that will last especially if a well known brand would appeal, but should we be looking at softer tyres that might need changing more often.

#39 ·
nc111 said:
My Cactus came with Continental tyres, but the fronts are approaching 3.5mm so most likely be changing sometime in the next six months. On past cars I don't usually go for high end tyres because really you'd want to get the maximum mileage out of them and stopping distances greatly deteriorate towards the end, so I'll change once below 3mm. Does the compound component get revealed on tyres, after all a selling point of tyres is often how long they last with people getting attracted to the longer lasting claims of higher costing tyres, when if you think about it most people in a tricky situation would surely want better grip than longevity of the tyre. Just like in formula 1 soft compound tyres give better grip but need changing more often. So really rather than concentrating on brands is what compound people prefer a better discussion? However I feel this could be experience related. For instance if you've driven for years, decades even, never had an accident or been saved by stopping distance of good grip, then I can see why going for tyres that will last especially if a well known brand would appeal, but should we be looking at softer tyres that might need changing more often.
Even though you may never have needed maximum grip from your tyres, you never know when you may need it. I've twice had people suddenly block my path when I've been doing 55-60mph and needed emergency braking. Unfortunately in both cases I was unable to stop in time, but I may have been able to get enough speed off and enough steering to hit the lighter rear end of the cars, so decent tyres may be the reason why, in both cases, despite my cars being written off, I came away without a scratch. And I may not still be here if it were not for the seat belts.

#40 ·
I am driving quite happily on Chinese tyres at £50 each. They offer better performance than Goodyear offering a superb grip even on wet roads and on cornering. In my opinion, the longer I drive on them, only fools invest in the more expensive brands.

The proof is in the pudding, if anyone wishes to test drive my Cactus and is in East Yorkshire, give me a bell. You cannot get a better invitation than that. :D

#41 ·
Rubik said:
I am driving quite happily on Chinese tyres at £50 each. They offer better performance than Goodyear offering a superb grip even on wet roads and on cornering. In my opinion, the longer I drive on them, only fools invest in the more expensive brands.

The proof is in the pudding, if anyone wishes to test drive my Cactus and is in East Yorkshire, give me a bell. You cannot get a better invitation than that. :D
You don't say what brand?

#42 ·
routemaster1 said:
nc111 said:
Even though you may never have needed maximum grip from your tyres, you never know when you may need it. I've twice had people suddenly block my path when I've been doing 55-60mph and needed emergency braking. Unfortunately in both cases I was unable to stop in time, but I may have been able to get enough speed off and enough steering to hit the lighter rear end of the cars, so decent tyres may be the reason why, in both cases, despite my cars being written off, I came away without a scratch. And I may not still be here if it were not for the seat belts.
So is that because you were using more expensive tyres? Using wet condition tyres? Changing tyres well before treads wore down? Yes it's better to have tyres that stop well in an emergency, but are you saying one tyre over others. Normally they give weather rating and noise level

#43 ·
nc111 said:
routemaster1 said:
nc111 said:
So is that because you were using more expensive tyres? Using wet condition tyres? Changing tyres well before treads wore down? Yes it's better to have tyres that stop well in an emergency, but are you saying one tyre over others. Normally they give weather rating and noise level
Wet grip, rolling resistance and noise.

#44 ·
Replaced 2x fronts yesterday.
I fitted Kumho Ecsta PA51 205 50 r17
Original efficientgrips couldn't hold their pressure due to punctures. I think I had about 3 plugs in one of em including the sidewall!
I achieved 35 000km on them.
Kumhos are a quality tyre no matter what series and quite popular in Australia here. They feel pretty good so far, running 35psi on front and much more cushioned ride than the goodyears at 30psi. Noise is same maybe less.

Also got this little tpms from ebay a few weeks ago for like $32 aud. Seems to work great and keeps me well informed. See the pressure loss in pos 1!

G
#45 ·
What tyres came on the Rip Curl?

I see 'Goodyear mud+snow all weather tyres' in reviews of the 2016 Rip Curl, but none seem to say which model of tyre that is.

I'd guess Goodyear Vector 4 Seasons Gen 2 ..... but I'm wondering if there is a more 'chunky' fit tyre.

Cheers
Mike

#50 ·
Mike66 said:
The Michelin CrossClimates are now on, I've only had a run round the block in the dark and the rain on the way home, but the car feels much, much better and now goes where I point it :cool:
I query what you mean by "and now goes where I point it"

I had the same issue with my Cactus, it wanting to go either right or left and vice versa especially on acceleration. It turned out to be Citroens tracking specifications. The wheels were tracking too far outwards. It took a backstreet garage, the garage who fitted my brilliant quiet Chinese tyres to re-track the car. Now it won't skid at all from wheel to wheel on harsh acceleration and drives in a straight line. :p

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.