So what tyres are we all using?

Wheels, Tyres, Suspension, Chassis
routemaster1

Re: So what tyres are we all using?

Post by routemaster1 » Wed Apr 24, 2019 4:43 pm

I posted a while ago on this thread. It seems I may have touched a nerve or two. I really apologise for that, but I have a good reason for only using high quality tyres. I appreciate that some asian made tyres may be good, but using a well known European or American made brand means you know what you are getting.

The reason I only buy well-known brands is that I have had two occasions when I have had to use emergency braking; unfortunately I could not avoid the accidents but the tyres may have mitigated the damage. The first occasion was in 2008, when someone in a Saab pulled out in front of me whilst I was doing about 60 mph on a trunk road on a bright summer morning. Despite emergency braking and trying to steer away, I hit it at high speed and wrote the car off (a Clio). Luckily I came away with only a minor bump on my head.

The second occasion was in a C3.

Dashcam footage:

On this occasion, again the Michelin tyres couldn't prevent the crash, and again the car was written off. I was virtually uninjured, but my wife was badly bruised. I would add that in both cases the other party was considered to be entirely to blame.

So, having this happen to me twice, completely out of the blue, I would not compromise on my own safety and that of others.

Rubik

Post by Rubik » Thu Aug 01, 2019 3:52 pm

Rubik wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2019 10:10 pm
routemaster1 wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 7:15 pm
Coypars wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 5:21 pm
I don't do a lot of miles so didn't see the need for expensive tyres,so done a search on tyre shopper,and found good reviews on autogreen tyres.Fitted at National tyres for £90 the pair and have found them to be decent.
Quiet and smooth running,National tyres quoted £64 a tyre but cheaper going through tyre shopper who are linked with National tyres.
It isn't the number of miles that is important, it is what grip you have at the instant you need it!
My cheap Chinese tyres are absolutely fine in the wet, on cornering, comfort and quietness. Initially what tended to let the grip down was Citroen’s inaccurate tracking settings on the Goodyears. Now that has been adjusted by a backstreet garage who fitted the Chinese tyres, the grip is superb with NO skidding on acceleration or braking.

The dealerships highly sophisticated tracking equipment which needs constant calibration is just an expensive gadget where more hands on devices still do a satisfactory job.
routemaster1 wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 4:43 pm
I posted a while ago on this thread. It seems I may have touched a nerve or two. I really apologise for that, but I have a good reason for only using high quality tyres. I appreciate that some asian made tyres may be good, but using a well known European or American made brand means you know what you are getting.

The reason I only buy well-known brands is that I have had two occasions when I have had to use emergency braking; unfortunately I could not avoid the accidents but the tyres may have mitigated the damage. The first occasion was in 2008, when someone in a Saab pulled out in front of me whilst I was doing about 60 mph on a trunk road on a bright summer morning. Despite emergency braking and trying to steer away, I hit it at high speed and wrote the car off (a Clio). Luckily I came away with only a minor bump on my head.

The second occasion was in a C3.

Dashcam footage:

On this occasion, again the Michelin tyres couldn't prevent the crash, and again the car was written off. I was virtually uninjured, but my wife was badly bruised. I would add that in both cases the other party was considered to be entirely to blame.

So, having this happen to me twice, completely out of the blue, I would not compromise on my own safety and that of others.

I have just replaced both front tyres on my Cactus. This is the second set of cheap Chinese tyres of which the first set have performed remarkably well. They may not have covered the full 25,000 miles on the front wheels but I calculate I have got around 18,000 miles out of them and they still had 3mm of tread left.

Another point worth mentioning is front wheel tracking is also very important as this reflects on the tyre adhesion on the road. Citroens settings were inaccurate rendering the car wanting to skid from wheel to wheel when accelerating quickly in a straight line. My back street tyre supplier adjusted the tracking. The car now steers straight, no pulling to the side, no skidding on acceleration, no excessive tyre wear. Of course when the Citroen dealership got the car in for a service they checked the tracking and said "Don't come back to us crying when the tyres wear out quickly" This has turned out to be a load of bollocks.

What is better is both tyres including valves and balancing £102.00 not £240 if they were Goodyears.

Tyre3.jpg

Tyre1.jpg

oesterby

Post by oesterby » Fri Aug 02, 2019 3:01 am

MICHELIN CROSSCLIMATE. Have driven appr. 6000km and no probs so far. Actually mpg have gone up!!! :)

CactiBhoy

Ideal treads.

Post by CactiBhoy » Wed Aug 07, 2019 7:58 pm

My front tyres are beginning to thin a bit (at 4mm their almost gone and grip is at a premium at the front in the piss) So going to go for a front set of 215 x 60 x 16 B+B+ 68db. Asked my local tyre fitter and he says ` at the front thicker is better` ( I don't know if he means me or the treads. :D) And 215` s will slip over the standard alloy and stick out enough to stop pavement rim damage at parking speed.

Going to replace the rear ones in late October . as its the start of the rainy season up in Scottyland. ;)
`" `In order to win once, you have got to get used to losing a whole lot of times. That's why I no longer buy Fiats.`" :lol:

AlexMorton

Post by AlexMorton » Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:40 pm

225 45 17 toyo rear and yokohama front, on std flair alloys, gone is the the flat tyre feel, and handles much better

Rubik

Re: Ideal treads.

Post by Rubik » Sun Aug 18, 2019 7:24 pm

CactiBhoy wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 7:58 pm
My front tyres are beginning to thin a bit (at 4mm their almost gone and grip is at a premium at the front in the piss) So going to go for a front set of 215 x 60 x 16 B+B+ 68db. Asked my local tyre fitter and he says ` at the front thicker is better` ( I don't know if he means me or the treads. :D) And 215` s will slip over the standard alloy and stick out enough to stop pavement rim damage at parking speed.

Going to replace the rear ones in late October . as its the start of the rainy season up in Scottyland. ;)
Your going to hate me saying this but road holding is only rubber on tarmac. Softer rubber may be less miles but better road holding.
I just love my cheap Chinese tyres, softer compound, better road holding and less decibels.

CactiBhoy

Re: Ideal treads.

Post by CactiBhoy » Fri Aug 30, 2019 1:51 pm

Your going to hate me saying this but road holding is only rubber on tarmac. Softer rubber may be less miles but better road holding.
I just love my cheap Chinese tyres, softer compound, better road holding and less decibels.
[/quote]
Nope compound trashes all. I had a set of Pirelli 056`s 175x55 x14 on my Fiat Uno and then went to a set of Bridgestones 880y and they were 195x55x14 so as you say fatter isn`t always better. I measure tyres by rule of thumb (or hands with) two hands together (thumbs in) 175. Two hands ( thumbs out nails touching) 195. But I do have big hands. Ohh and both hands one thumb out is 185 and both hands thumbs in. TWO BLACK EYES AND A BROKEN JAW
:lol:
`" `In order to win once, you have got to get used to losing a whole lot of times. That's why I no longer buy Fiats.`" :lol: