Citroen C4 Cactus Crossover Forum banner

Rear suspension

33K views 42 replies 22 participants last post by  Cactusboy 
#1 ·
Has anyone noticed that the cactus will skip or jitter over an uneven or undulating road (50mph +)? It almost feels if the suspension cannot react fast enough . This seems particularly noticeable on the rear axle. ! appreciate the car is light and fuel returns testify to that but I was just looking for other's observations.

Thanks

D

#27 ·
Dave, my Cactus is quiet on the motorway. I think it depends on the level of noise protection that the car is equipped with. My 110 Turbo is "optimally noise protected " as stated in the service site of Citroen. I checked it with my VIN. There are several levels of noise protection. The 82 HP that is imported to Israel, for example, has minimal protection.
Also you should be aware that 17 in wheels are more prone to generate noise.

#28 ·
Thanks Primekart. my comments were originally aimed at Blactus who experiences high noise when driving on motorways.

Perhaps my original wording was not as clear as it could have been:
I wrote "noise cancelling earphones" and perhaps I should have written "active noise cancelling headphones"

These have been around for quite a few years made by Bose and others - many people have bought these because they are very effective at reducing the internal cabin rumble in jet aircraft.
I erroneously assumed that most people had at least heard of these, but maybe not so in this forum.

So I wasn't referring to ear plugs or ear phones to block out the sound, but a cancellation scheme. This is a technology that is currently being assessed by various manufacturers to reduce overall cabin sound levels inside a vehicle by using a set of internal microphones and loudspeakers to effectively provide the equal and opposite noise, so that it cancels out (more or less).
With headphones this cancellation can be managed fairly effectively, but its not so easy for the total internal cabin space

#29 ·
davew said:
Thanks Primekart. my comments were originally aimed at Blactus who experiences high noise when driving on motorways.

Perhaps my original wording was not as clear as it could have been:
I wrote "noise cancelling earphones" and perhaps I should have written "active noise cancelling headphones"

These have been around for quite a few years made by Bose and others - many people have bought these because they are very effective at reducing the internal cabin rumble in jet aircraft.
I erroneously assumed that most people had at least heard of these, but maybe not so in this forum.

So I wasn't referring to ear plugs or ear phones to block out the sound, but a cancellation scheme. This is a technology that is currently being assessed by various manufacturers to reduce overall cabin sound levels inside a vehicle by using a set of internal microphones and loudspeakers to effectively provide the equal and opposite noise, so that it cancels out (more or less).
With headphones this cancellation can be managed fairly effectively, but its not so easy for the total internal cabin space
When paying £19k for a top of the line model, I don't expect to pay extra for sound proofing or any other gizmos :(

The car I test drove had steel wheels and standard roof. Or it could be they forgot to in insulate mine. I'll find out at the service.

#30 ·
If you have a dig about on the ole interweb you will find reviews of the Goodyear efficient grip that are not always complimentary.
issues with grip and noise do appear and it seems to be common. they have a new version out now.

I just find them a bit vague. It might be me as I've come out of a C3 with allseason tyres and a diesel lump at the front.

I think the tyre manufactures try to baffle us with psuedo science.
grip needs friction. friction =wear=noise=loss of economy.

As for falling down holes in the road, I wonder if its rebound speed of the rear shocks, think they are so set up for slow speed smoothness that high speed has been sacrificed. I've only driven the Cactus with 17" alloys so have nothing to compare with really. having a deeper tyrewall would no doubt help as it puts extra compliance into the system.

don't suppose the Highways agency will fill the holes in anytime soon :lol:

#31 ·
I would think that as Davew says, any method of active noise reduction within the car would be seen as against the law in the UK, although I would suggest that passive sound deadening such as acoustic foam in the panels would be okay.

#32 ·
Adrian said:
I would think that as Davew says, any method of active noise reduction within the car would be seen as against the law in the UK, although I would suggest that passive sound deadening such as acoustic foam in the panels would be okay.
Getting off track here, I don't think anyone would drive with ear defenders except for heavy machinery.

#33 ·
Wrt to tyre noise don't forget that they are tested as new. I had a set of Continetal tyres on my old focus way back that started to howl on the motorway...so much so I thought the wheel bearing was goosed. Turned out it was the 3/4 worn tyre and a change cured it.

IMO Michelin are always a good performer. Had them fitted on all cars and never had any issues and good wear rate.

#34 ·
BristolRich said:
Wrt to tyre noise don't forget that they are tested as new. I had a set of Continetal tyres on my old focus way back that started to howl on the motorway...so much so I thought the wheel bearing was goosed. Turned out it was the 3/4 worn tyre and a change cured it.

IMO Michelin are always a good performer. Had them fitted on all cars and never had any issues and good wear rate.
Seems to me that many other car drivers are also concerned about tyre noise from their vehicles - for example this Volvo discussion forum from a couple of years ago - rather similar comments to many in the Cactus forums + relevant/ interesting comments about the measurement and meaning of the published noise level ratings. Also one guy gives his measured internal noise level before and after changing his tyres...

http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/archive/index.php/t-192581.html

#37 ·
JohnYoung said:
deeppurple said:
I still think that the radio is a great solution for the tyre noise problem ;)
:lol:

Yeah sorted - Or screaming kids would help to :roll:
No, that causes too many problems, grab a few kids off the pavement and you end up with the police chasing you and on all sorts of registers.

We're sticking with the radio now with it's scrolling text and the back seat reserved for excess shopping.

#41 ·
Re: rear suspension - yep, i've noticed the odd 'skip' from the rear, usually at highway speeds with a turn involved. Torsion-beam suspension i think...cheaper than fully independent.

Tyres - these are the biggest change you can make to road noise - and as others have said I think the Goodyears / Michelin's (on the 110) get noisy when worn. I notice it on the rough broke stuff here in the UK after 15K miles. The car was practically silent in France...typical! There again they pay through the nose for the Peages. I'm planning on changing the tyre brand when these ones need replacing in about 10K miles.

I wouldn't bother with Dynomat on this car - the manufacturers spend serious time and effort tracing structure-borne noise paths on road jigs. The only way you can achieve results is to completely cover any inside panel with the stuff...and it's heavy, and expensive, so you negate the whole point of the lightweight approach that Citroen took.

I looked into active-noise cancellation kits a while back, but they also need proper test and analysis to position the mics correctly.
Best bet on the Cactus is to get the Arkansys amp package and crank the tunes up!!! :cool:

#42 ·
ran said:
As I said, car is like a woman, you have or don't have a "click" with her... I can find my wife flaws if I want, but then I recall of all the things she is and I just can't give any significant meaning for a specific flaw...
So as my wife is perfect for me, same as my Cactus. Not the fastest or the most advanced, but just the right combination of design, price, efficiency and a lot of charm!
:lol: :lol: :lol:
P.S.
My wife is the most advanced, smart, wise, beautiful human being I know, so help me god.
:p
That was a good save at the End lol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.